Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
graham butt
Location: Scotland UK
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 70
Offline
Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Hey everyone.

My brother and I were just discussing how various martial arts are falling away on the artistic side and are focusing more on the sporting side... Eg. Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Karate... We're not knocking the styles because most times they do have their artistic side.

When we studied Judo we were only taught competition techniques only, We were not taught chokes and strangle holds. There was also little attention paid to Ettiquette. Like we say we are not putting these styles down as they ALL obviously have their advantages and are very effective styles.

It does however appear to us that some schools of Martial arts are there for the sport.
I hope you understand what we are talking about, We're mainly wondering what your opinions are on this topic? Has anyone else thought about this?

Take_Care.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
tedehara
 
tedehara's Avatar
Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Location: Evanston IL
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 826
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Quote:
graham butt wrote:
Hey everyone.
My brother and I were just discussing how various martial arts are falling away on the artistic side and are focusing more on the sporting side... Eg. Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Karate... We're not knocking the styles because most times they do have their artistic side.

When we studied Judo we were only taught competition techniques only, We were not taught chokes and strangle holds. There was also little attention paid to Ettiquette. Like we say we are not putting these styles down as they ALL obviously have their advantages and are very effective styles.

It does however appear to us that some schools of Martial arts are there for the sport.
I hope you understand what we are talking about, We're mainly wondering what your opinions are on this topic? Has anyone else thought about this?

Take_Care.
My sensei took judo and was reading The Canon of Judo by Mifune. He saw a sacrifice throw that seemed interesting. At his next class, he asked his teacher if he could show that throw. His teacher said, "No". When he asked him why not, the teacher replied,"You can't win a tournament with it."

This focus on competition is not embraced by all. You might want to read Zen Judo : A Way of Life by Brian N. Bagot. I'm sure if you look at any martial art, there are people who are patiently making it part of their lives, rather than an excuse for competitive sports.

Anyway, that is my hope.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
jonreading
 
jonreading's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 889
United_States
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

This is way complicated for a post, but here goes...

History tells use that combative martial arts became a competetive sport in Japan when the need for combat diminished; to keep their fighting skills, warriors fought competatively. Eventually, warriors realized spritual benefits to organized fighting systems, and continued training after reaching their physical peak for health and spiritual development. In fact, many historians believe that a similar theory can exist for every fighting system.

Flash forward. We live in a society that rejects combat. Combat and killing are publically frowned upon by almost every nation on the planet. We don't like the thought of killing, and we certainly don't like to think of martial arts as training to kill someone. But it was/is just that. Many martial arts transformed into competetive sport to exist in today's society. Karate is a great example of a martial art that adopted competition and has trememdous following.

So my long answer is yes, I also believe that martial arts are embracing competetive sport. The practice of combat techniques is being ignored and will eventually be lost. I have no doubt that these martial practices will exist in military training, but eventually they will be lost for public consumption.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
mj
Location: livingston, scotland
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 715
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Quote:
graham butt wrote:
...When we studied Judo we were only taught competition techniques only, We were not taught chokes and strangle holds....
Because you were juniors, obviously.

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
My sensei took judo and was reading The Canon of Judo by Mifune. He saw a sacrifice throw that seemed interesting. At his next class, he asked his teacher if he could show that throw. His teacher said, "No". When he asked him why not, the teacher replied,"You can't win a tournament with it."...
I would guess that the throw was Sumi-Otoshi. It doesn't work against people with any level of skill/balance. When a Judo instructor says 'you cannot win with it' he merely means that it does not work against a competent opponent, like the Men from UNCLEs Karate chops, or Captain Kirks tomoe-nage. Did your Sensei not tell you about all the throws that his Judo instructor did show him that were effective? And that he knew they were effective because they had been used successfully against totally resisting, clever, experienced opponents?

What price those techniques? Tempered by stress and found reliable.

I have to ask...if we do not test ourselves on the mat, against strangers who resist, people who have absolutely no intention of being thrown/locked/pinned, people who we do not train with all the time....are we not delusional?

Yes there is a large place for co-operative training (in an aiki sense) but to lose the other part makes us look fools when we protest at the lack of 'martialness' in other arts.

If Aikido was 100 metre sprinting...would we walk slowly and wax philosophical on the journey, dismissing those who try to 'win' as vain and conceitful? That sounds insulting, it was not meant to be. Perhaps I should say...if you claim to practice running then you should be able to run. And Martial Arts requires as much hard training as sprinting, at least.

OSensei tested his Aikido and was the better for it. If he had not, we would not be doing it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Aristeia
Location: Auckland
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 971
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

I agree with Mark
When I first started Aikido I would have spouted the party line from the brochure on how competition is detrimental, promotes ego and denies you techniques that are unsafe for competition thus watering down the art.
Some of this is true in some circumstances, but it has to be tempered witht he fact that true sporting/sparring arts have th advantage of practicing their techniques against knowledgeable uncooperative opponents, thus making them better fighters. And if you want to come from the angle that MA's are about character development rather than learning to fight, I'd contend there's a good argument to be made that sporting arts offer at least as much in this area. There's nothing like being beaten in sparring, tapping out to older, smaller, weaker people constantly (or kids, or women, or even people you just don't happen to like), and still getting up and getting back on the mat, for character development.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #6
Bryan
Location: Vancouver Washington
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 21
United_States
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Besides Aikido, I am also involved with TKD. I enjoy the sport side of it and I take the few tools the sport offers to ehnance my other MA training. Self Defense is my primary area of interest.

Things I find useful from sport:
-Ditness training
-Distance and timing from an uncooperative opponent
-The intensity of my opponent who's intent on beating on me with a drive beyond practicing techniques.
-Getting use to the feeling of engaging a serious opposition. I know that the people I train Aikido,Hapkido or KungFu with are friends and are not actually trying to cause me harm....no matter how much intent they put into thier techniques.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
mj
Location: livingston, scotland
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 715
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
...and still getting up and getting back on the mat, for character development.
You say it much better

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
tedehara
 
tedehara's Avatar
Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Location: Evanston IL
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 826
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Quote:
Mark Johnston wrote:
...When a Judo instructor says 'you cannot win with it' he merely means that it does not work against a competent opponent, like the Men from UNCLEs Karate chops, or Captain Kirks tomoe-nage...
What he meant was what I wrote,"You can't win a tournament with it." Why? Because you do judo to win tournaments. That is the competitive mind-set.

If you look at the regimen by Kano, competition was a way to test and improve your understanding of judo. It was not suppose to be the tail that wags the dog.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
James Young
Location: Orange County, CA
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 87
United_States
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Competition in martial arts can definitely be benefical or detrimental to one's art depending on how it is approached or adopted. For me I guess I differetiate it by asking, "Is the person training for competition or is the competiton being used for the training?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
Aristeia
Location: Auckland
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 971
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

true dat. I train BJJ at a "traditional" BJJ school (if there is such a thing) as well as at a ninjitsu club who have added it to their syllabus (at various times one school or the other is more convenient). It's interesting the differences. The ninjas will be more likely to reccommend pulling up on someone's eye sockets as a way to get the chin up an complete the Gi choke, but BJJ school produces much tougher students because they spar *all* the time. I'm pretty pleased with the mix I'm getting between the two of them.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #11
mj
Location: livingston, scotland
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 715
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
What he meant was what I wrote,"You can't win a tournament with it." Why? Because you do judo to win tournaments. That is the competitive mind-set.

If you look at the regimen by Kano, competition was a way to test and improve your understanding of judo. It was not suppose to be the tail that wags the dog.
And such a stereotypical dog it is, too.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #12
darin
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 375
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

I think competition is healthy for martial arts. Advancements in protective equipment allow competitions to become more realistic. Technically and physically today's martial artists are much better than those of the past.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #13
bryce_montgomery
 
bryce_montgomery's Avatar
Location: Tupelo, MS
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 180
United_States
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

I personally have nothing wrong with friendly competition to see how well you know your stuff...but to teach a MA for the sole reason of winning a "rules based" tournament then you are teaching for the wrong reason (in my opinion). I mean, lots of people want to know if their stuff actually works and an open tournament is a great place to try it out...as for some schools and tournaments though....they just don't help much more than raising self confidence a little...or dropping it horribly...

It's really the way the tournament is used...If it's for a "fun test" every once in a while to just see if you've learned anything useful then that's alright...but if it's a completely "rules based" competition where you can only do "certain" things...then I really don't see how that helps you...

But that's just my view...

Bryce
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #14
Aristeia
Location: Auckland
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 971
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

To get the benefits tha competition can offer it needs to be an integral part of training, competing (sparring) needs to be part of the mat culture, part of every training session rather thanan occassional diversion. And for that you need clearly defined rules.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #15
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
Location: Cortland, NY
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 976
United_States
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote:
.... The practice of combat techniques is being ignored and will eventually be lost. I have no doubt that these martial practices will exist in military training, but eventually they will be lost for public consumption.
Depends on where you look. Pentjak Silat Serak definitely has not lost one iota of its combative edge. Maha Guru Victor and his students (which includes my Kali instructor, who has been allowed to teach Serak) are working very hard to propogate the art and preserve it. On the Japanese front, there are classical systems that, while maybe not as widely known as Aikido, do have a following. So seriously combative arts are out there and are being preserved.

Oddly enough, Pak Vic said on one occassions that he lamented the fact that he did not yhave someone teaching Tae Kwon Do at his school in Bellflower, CA because "it would bring more kids in." His wife teaches Aikido, and Pak Vic has had nice things to say about it. He especially likes the Ukemi.

Funny old thing, life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #16
Michael Neal
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 600
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Quote:
When we studied Judo we were only taught competition techniques only, We were not taught chokes and strangle holds.
only kids are not allowed to use chokes and arm bars in competition, adults have no such restrictions

Also, I fail to see how a style being more artistic and less sport like would make it more effective. In my experience the opposite is true.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #17
graham butt
Location: Scotland UK
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 70
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

We were informed at the time that you had to be 16 and above for him to teach us chokes and strangles etc... i was 16 goin on 17 and my brother was 19 goin on 20. So technically we should have been learning them!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #18
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
Location: Cortland, NY
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 976
United_States
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

One more thing:

Thai Boxing is a sport.

You want to tell a Thai fighter he can't handle himself for that reason? Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #19
satchthecat
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

[b] ohh quality, Awrite man, hows it gone? aye man uve got a point there aye, efter aw, martial arts is becomin like martial sports ye know wit a mean ??? a mean, efter aw, you see the Olympics haein events such as Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Kickboaxin and aww that as part eh their curriculum man

So, tae that extent, the guys spoat on wae wit hes sayin man. Its the c*ck and b*llocks wae wit hes sayin man, top onions man

Rite muckers, am away noo, quality website this man, its the hairy b*llocks. EXCELLENTO !
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:19 PM   #20
Michael Neal
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 600
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

Graham, your Judo school must not have been very good. If they are not teaching these to students 16 and above then they are for one, putting their students into competitions at a huge disadvantage. This could also be dangerous since they would be unprepared for these techniques being applied to them with force.

Even some of our Juniors get to learn chokes and armbars on occasion they are just not allowed to use them in randori or shiai until they are 16.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #21
graham butt
Location: Scotland UK
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 70
Offline
Re: Martial arts becoming Martial sports.

yeah to be honest it was quite a bad school... not much teaching and an unreliable instructor.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido Mike Sigman General 240 08-12-2005 06:22 PM
Martial arts and Children. ChrisHein General 6 05-31-2005 05:55 AM
Something I wrote for a few friends of mine (long) drDalek General 1 11-18-2002 08:44 AM
Article: Thoughts on Bugei Studies by Karl Friday AikiWeb System Training 28 04-27-2002 05:21 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate