Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
wxyzabc
England
Question for the guys in Japan

Hya

Well I currently live in Nagano Ken and study the Nishio form of aikido...have also studied the standard Aikikai form.

My current job finishes shortly with no hope of renewal so I am considering moving as a new position here (english school/eikeiwa hours) will likely mean only 2 days of aikido per week...I want more

So...firstly does anyone know if Shoji Nishio is still teaching and where?...any ideas on his timetable? (a few months ago he was ill and could not attend a seminar here...hope he is ok now?)

OR...has anyone trained at Hombu dojo?...can anyone give me any advise/info on the atmosphere etc

(not so important...but am I right in thinking that promotion can be much faster there...took me 3 years to get to san que )

....you see I would prefer to teach english privately with perhaps other business/exporting options so Tokyo might be better for me...could then train nearly everyday.

Any advise/info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Lee

Last edited by wxyzabc : 02-09-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:30 AM   #2
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Question for the guys in Japan

Hello Lee,

I think I can give you some advice, but would prefer to do so via PM.

Feel free to send me a private mail when you have the time.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-10-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I'm not in Japan but I can tell you the following:
It will certainly be a lot easier for you to get a job taching English in Tokyo or Osaka than many of he other areas. You can teach privately, but you'll have a hard time with your visa. It depneds on what you want to do. I know some serious aikido folks get cultural visas but you really need to show the teacher that you are serious and worth that effort. Lastly, please work hard but don't be in so much of a hurry to get through your kyu ranks that you don't thoroughly study them.

Good luck.
Rob
Old 02-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

The last thing I heard was that Nishio sensei is not very actively teaching, but if you want to practice with him or some of his primary students you can check out this web-site:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nisio/HTML/eigo.html

In the Tokyo-area it believe both Shishiya sensei and Arisou sensei teach Nishio-style aikido. They are both very competent and nice as far as I can judge. On Shikoku there is a dojo in Matsuyama with Suzuki sensei. I have never met him, but I have heard good things about him. I'm hoping to go there myself this year in september, and i'll be spending some time in Tokyo as well so maybe we'll bump into each other on the mat

Hope this (or Peter) helps you.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com