Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #26
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Female Sensei

Quote:
Tonya Woods wrote:
....I was just thinking the other day….does anyone know of any female shihan?
Quote:
Jeanne Shepard wrote:
....I'm sure Mary Heiney Sensei is a Shihan.

I don't watch such things closely, but I don't think so, unfortunately--Heiny is a terrific aikido teacher. The SHIHAN thing is not transparent. Non-Jpn "SHIHAN" have documentation, Hombu actually gives them papers saying that they are such. Interestingly, the famous Jpn SHIHAN don't have this paperwork. For Jp hands, this is very suspicious.

Chiba calls several of his students SHIHAN, including the above mentioned Lorriane DiAnne, but I don't think they've been so recognized by Hombu; I could be wrong. Other high-ranking women of my acquaintance who have made significant contributions (seminars, publications, etc.) to aikido are

Patty Saotome
Pat Hendricks
Susan Perry

I know I'm leaving many out. Sorry, but I hope this helps.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #27
bennettdjr
Dojo: Aberdare Aikido Club
Wales

What prehaps i should have said was that women only classes would be as pointless as men only classes. If a women who only trained with females was attacked by a man, then would she be able to do the technique. Just as if a man was who only trained with males was attacked by a female would he be able to do the technique. The more varried your training is the better for you, or so i believe. Im sorry if ive offended anyone, i dont mean to.
dave

Though there are many paths
At the foot of the mountain
All those who reach the top
See the same moon.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #28
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States

Wow... Tough question. Inherently, this is a complicated question that touches on many different points that are important to training. I know several females instructors, some of them good and some bad (just like us guys). I am always impressed by instructors that are knowledgeable, skilled, and capable of showing me why I chose Aikido as a martial art.

Think long and hard about why you wish to segrergate your class. Segregation reinforces that gender DOES make a difference in training (why else would you be doing it?). Separate but equal doesn't work. Eventually, both men and women will have to work with each other to train.

I have chosen to work with dojo that focus on physical training. There are certainly fewer women in those classes; but they are confident, competent, and capable of using aikido in their life and as self-defense. I have been to other classes whose women were unable to say the same thing. The instructor made a decision to focus training in a direction that suited serious training and physical excercise, with instruction falling on the martial roots of technique.

I am not against women only classes, but I firmly believe their is great potential to do more harm than good if not excerised with extreme caution. I believe exclusion is not a positive process in training. Many classes focus on aspects of training that are more suited to men (after all, martial arts was dominated by men for a very long time...); I think a better approach is to develop training focus and instruction that may be more accomodating to women. Give women a chance and I think they will impress you.

I would like to remind everyone that this is a sensitive topic. This topic rolls through gender issues, equality issues and training issues. The direction of the dojo and the decisions made by an instructor can have serious consequences, so please be patient if your dojo is moving slowly on this topic.

Finally, aikido is not the place for romance and dojo students should be aware of that fact. There is nothing wrong with student intimacy, but it stays off the mat.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #29
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I have just been informed that Jane Ozeki (from NY Aikikai) was just elevated to shihan status.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 01-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #30
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Tonya Woods wrote:
I was just thinking the other day….does anyone know of any female shihan?
Minegishi sensei.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #31
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Karen Wolek wrote:
I have just been informed that Jane Ozeki (from NY Aikikai) was just elevated to shihan status.
By Hombu? This New Years?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #32
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
By Hombu? This New Years?
I assume so. All my sensei said was that she had been elevated to shihan. Harvey Konigsberg, my part-time sensei, is now also officially a shihan.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!