Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-22-2004, 11:54 PM   #26
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Re: Instructor Qualities/Characteristics

I love the spontaneity of having techniques lead to "related" techniques, or concepts, or bursts of laughter as you explore.......Doesn't happen too often, but it shines, shines, shines when it does.
Hard to categorize that.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 11-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #27
Andrew Vickery
Dojo: Patchway Ki Aikido Club
England

Quote:
Justin McCarthy wrote:
As a fledgling instructor, the one thing that impresses me the most at the moment is commitment.

To keep giving what you can even when..

...things get tough financially
...students don't turn up
...you feel like sh*t and would love just to go to bed
...your best student moves away
...you know you have another 5 hours of report writing still to finish tonight before you cango to bed
...the student you have been coaching towards their next grading in 2 week time goes to the pub instead

I've been trying to do this for 2 years. It's really tough, and sometimes I wonder how people can just keep giving so much, day after day, year after year. As a student, I like all these things that people have said - humour, understanding, patience etc. but my personal experience is that some of that stuff is the easy bit. And is the visible bit.

What we easily forget is that we have a choice whether to go to class tonight. The instructor does not. That commitment to the club, the students and the art that these people give year after year, without us even noticing - that's what impresses me.
Hi Justin and all.
I have just joined the forum and came across this thread, and this post.
What an excellent post, and very perceptive.

Also, Dan Gould mentioned about Sensei's acting as uke's in front of the class.
This is how things should be IMHO. We have to learn both parts of the art, don't we?
Old 12-01-2004, 04:42 AM   #28
justinm
United Kingdom

Quote:
Andrew Vickery wrote:
Hi Justin and all.
I have just joined the forum and came across this thread, and this post. What an excellent post, and very perceptive.

Also, Dan Gould mentioned about Sensei's acting as uke's in front of the class. This is how things should be IMHO. We have to learn both parts of the art, don't we?
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the compliment, and welcome to the forum!

I once attended a class in Holland where the instructor would demonstrate with an uke, and then always swap around so that he then took ukemi for his partner before asking the class to practice. I think that way of teaching has got so much good stuff going for it that I am suprised more do not do it (including me!! I keep forgetting - it takes a while to change one's usual methods).

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 12-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #29
arderljohn
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club
Philippines

Sorry I'm late..... Instructor Qualities/Characteristics? Hmmm....What can I say, well...A good Instructor/Teacher must have a Big Heart, willingly to help the needless student who wanted to learn the Art. Must be, low profile,humble,loves the nature,not a money maker,doesnt have an ego, not self-centered person, not a selffish being, he/she dedicate their life to the Art, must have a sence of humor and mostly, He/She knows very well what their teaching....

Gud Aikiday!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #30
ESimmons
United_States

Organization impresses me the most.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:50 PM   #31
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

He must be a God.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-21-2004, 09:51 PM   #32
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Richard Manabat wrote:
Sorry I'm late..... Instructor Qualities/Characteristics? Hmmm....What can I say, well...A good Instructor/Teacher must have a Big Heart, willingly to help the needless student who wanted to learn the Art. Must be, low profile,humble,loves the nature,not a money maker,doesnt have an ego, not self-centered person, not a selffish being, he/she dedicate their life to the Art, must have a sence of humor and mostly, He/She knows very well what their teaching....

Gud Aikiday!
Hi Richard,

I only know of one who closely fit your criteria but, alas, some find it (the characteristics) as weak rather than strength.

David
Old 01-18-2005, 03:25 AM   #33
Meike
Portugal

One important point I would like to add to all these great and inspiring qualities:

I expect from a teacher also a certain measure of qualities as a person, meaning the attempt to grow, to learn, to be honest and fair, to accept other opinions without loosing his personal strength, self awareness...I mean qualities that may be have to do with wisdom, respect and dignity.
And the higher the position the more I expect this - not only a quality on the tatamis, but also in life outside the dojo.

I also say this out of my perspective here in Portugal, where high Dan teachers are quarreling over power and money in a sometimes very dishonest way, and I am very frustrated about this situation.
In my opinion, the strongest technique becomes a little stinky, if it is taught by an egoistic person.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!