Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2001, 05:09 AM   #26
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
Finding a new club

Mark, You are very welcome to train with us if you are ever in North Yorkshire as long as you behave! (only joking.)

I would like to recommend to you Heriot-Watt University Club which is Shodokan (Tomiki style) and run by Martin Livingstone. I think non-students are welcome. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you his contact details.

Anyway I hope you find a club in which you feel happy.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:27 AM   #27
mj
Dan, sorry for not reading your post right... my fault, I was going to bed just as I checked and replied.

Erik, very good point! (Counterpoint)

Sam, I already train at Martins club on Sundays! I've not been for the past few weeks because, you know... if you have his number tell him me and Dave will be back soon. And I hope to meet you too. (And thanks for the invite, maybe Martin will vouch for my character... maybe not!)

One small thing, when I went up to the er.... EX-club last night, it was to pick up the club newsletter, which had details of my grading last year and the summer camp where my friend and I had gone. The sensei refused to let me have it. When I thought back on this today it just seemed so, I don't know, PETTY I suppose, that I saw things in context and I'm absolutely fine with the experience now, no grudges or anger, I had a good time pretty much all of the time there, met some nice people and so on. I'm cool about it now. Thanks for all the advice etc.

Old 03-15-2001, 12:13 PM   #28
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
Ai symbol

Mark,

All I can say is I echo other's previous comments in that you are better off in a different dojo anyhow.

For real, I'd never want as a Sensei someone who not only disagrees with seeking help from available sources (Aiki sources nonetheless), but uses that as a basis for a ban. And then is immature enough to deny a publication to a former student, that he probably would've given to a stranger.

This only angers me, because that person is unfit to be a sensei. He should close down the dojo, and engage in some serious training, until he has a better understanding of aiki principles. Or maybe he should just grow up??

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 03-15-2001, 12:29 PM   #29
BC
Wow! Banned? It sounds like you are much better off going to a new dojo. If this is typical behavior of this sensei, I doubt he will be able to retain many, if any, long term students. Best of luck in your new dojo!

Robert Cronin
Old 03-16-2001, 06:43 AM   #30
Marianne Crisp
Dojo: Kingston Gymnastics Centre
Do symbol Aikido/Dojo-Ban-Future

Mark, I've been out of the country for 3 weeks, hence this belated response.
I'm sorry to hear that you've been banned from the Dojo, but remember that everyone - including a Sensei - can only respond to a given stimulus according to his/her own individual background, experience, and personal development at that particular time. We are all affected by events and people in our lives - this is how we GROW - so please try to regard this as just another stage in YOUR life (your former Sensei will have to do his own development as a result of banning you).
However, clearly you enjoy the concept and the practice of aikido, so my suggestion is that you contact the British Aikido Board (I'm assuming that you're in the UK) and root around in their Dojolist. If you're within about 30 mins drive of Milton Keynes (about 1/2way between London & Biimingham), check out Milton Keynes Aikido.com (I run the Keihatsu club on a Friday night) and you are welcome to contact me or just drop by.
Take heart, and remember that there are hundreds of good clubs out there....
Good Luck !
Yours in Harmony
Marianne Crisp
1st Dan Coach

Marianne Crisp
Chief Instructor
Milton Keynes Keihatsu Aikido Club
Old 03-16-2001, 11:13 AM   #31
mj
Thanks, esp sensei Crisp. Without in anyway trying to sound 'sad'. It's up to me to deal with it, and I already have. (I mean internally, of course!) Aikido isn't inevitably the people I meet, or that anyone meets. It's how we deal with it. I'd like to thank my old sensei for all the time he spent teaching me, as well, if he ever reads this. Really, thanks.

Old 03-16-2001, 02:24 PM   #32
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
dan grade bullies

There's no need to take that type of crap from anyone. There's plenty of really good Dojo's about, if you are near to the Milton keynes Dojo it's a good bet. I like the mats there they really make you bounce! Any way, respect and harmony to you and Marianne (about this harmony stuff Marianne, i've managed to get my nose back straight after last night!) Fat Bloke

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 03-16-2001, 04:39 PM   #33
mj
Screw that, sounds too violent...
Sorry, people, Scotland's too far from you. But I have been invited to London to practice. If I go, I'll visit you. For sure...

Old 03-18-2001, 11:58 PM   #34
Travis Baker
Seems the loss of a few limp bizkit cd's would be a blessing in disguise

-Travis Baker
Old 05-05-2001, 07:25 PM   #35
Nina Bjader
>The class was sensei, (not the normal one, he's been on holiday for 4 weeks and comes back next week,) another black belt, 3 yellows, including me, and 4 white belts. Anyway the non-sensei dan was in an abusive frame of mind.

What I wonder is: what about this guy/girl teaching the class? This person certainly has a responsibility, too. Why did he/she not react on somebody pulling somebody else's hair during training? Is that person afraid of the bully, uncertain how to handle him, or what?

If this kind of behavior is accepted during class - long before we get to the stepping outside part - something is dead wrong in that dojo. Hope you are happier where you are now.

Nina

Old 05-22-2001, 05:49 AM   #36
ahdumb
Dojo: Ueshiba (Nanyang Polytechnic)
What? You got banned? Well I guess that's a little bad... but hey if any dan was allowed to do shit like that in the dojo it's better that you leave. Godd luck to ya.

--- "Sit up straight!", my sensei
Old 05-23-2001, 02:12 PM   #37
mj

It's OK, we all laugh at it now...
As for the teacher, Nina, he is a policeman.
I've passed him in the street a few times and he totally ignored me, as has the sensei.... very mature, very aiki, .
Don't worry though, I've never seen this happen before. And I wouldn't want to be a part of it, either.
I did think this thread had died, though...

Old 05-23-2001, 05:13 PM   #38
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Question

Hi MJ,
just wondering... did you find a new place to train? how far are you from glasgow? i know some good instructors in that area

Kev Price
Old 05-24-2001, 11:07 AM   #39
mj

ANYONE...
feel free to email me about ANY club in Scotland... (Please!)
(Of course... there is one I won't go to... but I'm not saying which... )

Old 05-25-2001, 01:55 PM   #40
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Scottish clubs

There's a club in Comrie that would definitely be worth a go. It's run by a pupil of my Sensei and they need all the support hey can get. I'll get the contact details and post them here later.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!