Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2001, 08:55 PM   #1
stratcat
Dojo: Chendokan Aikido, Costa Rica
Unhappy Ouch!

Well I've got some good news and some bad news, and I was wondering how many people this has happened to:

Last monday (not today!) I passed my green belt test, for which I'd been training for what seems like an eternity (a whole month!). In our dojo, that basically means that I get to run with the big dogs, so I'm understandably proud.

However, this saturday, in class, I busted up the little finger on my left hand; it was an accident involving a misplaced ukemi on my part, and another student ukemi-ing right onto my little finger. Ouch!!!

I'll be out of action for about 22 days, so I have two questions:

1) Has this sort of unbelievably bad luck happened to anyone else, and how long were you put of action?

2) What is a good way to keep up my "fighting shape" while I'm away, so I don't lose too much in the meantime?

Thanx.

Andy Hertz.
"Standing before me
enemies my mind does not ignore
I take a step forward
and act!"
Morihei Ueshiba
Old 05-15-2001, 04:13 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
It always seems that people seem to have runs of injuries in aikido - I don't know whether this is because the student has a period of less concentration or whether you are so worried about one injury, another occurs. Within 3 sessions someone at our club had his nipple ring twisted (tenchi-nage), damaged his shoulder (ju-jigarmae) and I think the other one was a leg injury.

You sound quite lucky in that you can still move your arms. You don't need your hands to ukemi, so get your finger strapped and get back to aikido. You may not be able to do some pins (e.g. kote-gaeshi), if it is very tender. However ikkyo, nikkyo (on one side), sankyo and many throws should be OK.

I once dislocated my collar bone and it made me realise how easily damage can incapacitate you in a fight and how useful it is to know alternative ways of striking or moving. Therefore I would use this as an opportunity to think - what would I do if someone had broken my finger? For me, since I could not turn the top half of my body, I started practising kicks on a punch bag (I couldn't even strike with my other arm).

Hope this helps,

Ian
Old 05-15-2001, 05:16 PM   #3
guest1234
I'd agree with Ian, unless they had to put a pin in your finger, you could at least get some things done on the mat. If you didn't feel comfortable in rolls on the injured side, just do the 'OK' side; same thing with either doing the technique or being uke. I'd either make the bandage obvious, or remind your partners at first about your injury.
If you do have a pin, then yes, by all means stay off the mat for your sake as well as your partners, along the lines of removing ALL jewelry prior (don't even ask me my opinion about that person with the nipple ring).
if you have to sit out the full 3 weeks, i'd still go. i once had to stay out 2 weeks after surgery, and went every night to watch. Not only did i still get to learn, but i got to see why instructors always notice when i am across the room making a mistake.
good luck
Old 05-15-2001, 05:28 PM   #4
akiy

Finger injuries are usually not that major (, but it's always a good idea to take care of your injuries when you can. Just be aware of it and don't overdo anything that may aggravate the injury.

One thing that's good for hurt fingers is to tape it to the finger next to it. Especially in the case of the little finger where it can easily get caught in someone's dogi and such, it's a good idea keep it from getting wrenched...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-16-2001, 01:44 PM   #5
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Don't talk to me about bad luck!

I fell off the back of a lorry (poetic justice really, I'm a salesman!) four days before my scond Dan grading. I broke my left arm and was off the mat for a fair old time. I started back and,like they say, kept off the bad side until I felt confident. i kept in shape (HAH, wait till you see my signoff) by doing tai sabaki and bokken drills in the garden. Anyway, to paraphrase my combat pistol instuctor, there is only one way to get back and that's to go back!
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-18-2001, 09:46 AM   #6
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
I have somthing to say about injuries. I have trained through several. Broken fingers toes and one broken foot. Yes I broke my foot and still trained. The stupidist idea I ever had though was to train with cracked cartalage in my ribs. I have one thing to say about that(ouch!!!!!!!!). especially when I was thrown for a break fall. In the end I dont suggest training through an injury it is a bad idea. I as I said trained through several but I do not recomend it my foot is perminatly screwed up.

Dan

Dan Hulley
Old 05-18-2001, 12:53 PM   #7
Michell Knight
Dojo: Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu
Ai symbol Injuries...

The previous replies are right on target; keep active in training (as injury permits!). I suffered a left rotator cuff impingement (koho tenho mishap) in November 2000. By the time I reached home I was in so much pain I was unable to lift my arm and had to cut my shirt and bra off--OUCH!!! I missed one training day--and returned with self-modified training participation. I stayed clear of all pain mind-altering meds (definitely stay clear minded for class), avoided left rolls, ikkyos, sankyos, etc... stuck with post-class NSAID's, warm and cool packs and found I still got alot from each class. As I began to heal, I had to remind individual nages (and Sensei) that I was still healing, and all went with minimum discomfort. I doubled PT efforts to keep strength and co-ordination loss to a minimum, restarted shoulder rolls from kneeling position and finally, in April, I was able to return to full koho tenho on our hard wood floors! I test for blue belt in a few weeks---talk about good timing! Main point, keep training--you will keep up with your training and your rehab time will be shorter. Good luck!

Michell

Michell Knight, P.A.-C
Old 05-21-2001, 06:20 AM   #8
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Yet again I have done it. I am once again injured(and typing with one hand) I broke a finger and oh does it hurt. But that is not stoping me from training in fact I even taught a small class cuz believe it or not at 4th kyu I was the highest ranked guy there. SO if you can train through an injury and hey even teach through an injury.

Dan
I cant believe i taught a class ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!