Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-29-2004, 08:08 AM   #26
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: I don't want to dismember my opponents.

IMHO, if you love training, train. Focus more on what it teaches you regarding posture, positioning, and movement. Less on targeting. You do not have to dismenber your opponent to dismember yourself.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #27
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States

Not sure how this post morphed into a discussion of blades, but... My sources separate shinken from other japanese style blades by the production process. Shinken usually refers to traditional japanese-made katana. Traditional Japanese-made katana are regulated by the Japanese government to maintain higher quality and are generally more expensive. Other japanese style blades can be produced in countries like China, Korea, US or India. These blades usually incorporate non-traditional methods of forging, but are produced on a greater scale. I understand that nihonto became a popular term when japanese style katana began production outside of Japan.

To address the question posed about the dilemma of cutting your opponent; or in this case, expanding cutting to include hurting your opponent. You are practicing a martial art, and the application of martial are is combat, physical or otherwise. The fact that you do not wish to apply your training is inconsequential. Learn how to cut, then learn why not to cut.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #28
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Be careful, he might want to watch a Japanese Swordsmith (not a Japanese swordsmith, but someone who mostly makes Japanese swords..) Because it's a compltely different process than making european swords..lol
Hey, that's a great idea. I bet he's never thought of that before....it's only how he makes his living.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #29
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

I think I may have made too much of what amounts to getting squeamish. I guess, even though I don't hunt, I still shoot guns and that's about the same thing.

I wouldn't expect to find myself repelling hoardes of invaders, but I still want a Browning Automatic Rifle someday (Yeah-someday when I move to a different state and have $10G to blow ) . I guess that's about the same as wanting a nice sword and planning not to use it on anyone.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me work that out!
Bill

Last edited by Bill Danosky : 12-29-2004 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fixed smiley
Old 12-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #30
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Hey, that's a great idea. I bet he's never thought of that before....it's only how he makes his living.

Bronson
Which is why I told you
Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #31
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Would the best description of the actual sword, without having to label it a Katana or Tachi, be "Nihon Daito"? Just wondering if you agree?
Eh ...

Honestly? I don't think it matters much except to collectors.

For folks doing iaido/kendo/koryu weapons, the sword type and style will probably be dictated, or at minimum, reccommended by the school.

All other distinctions, to me, are pretty arbitrary and are probably dictated more by artistic criteria than practical.

The more I deal with these things (and I've really moved away from empty-hand stuff in recent years, sliding toward a more and more sword based methodology in my chosen system), the more I think that the non-budo-practicing collectors have unduly influenced the way the actual-budo-practicing community views and thinks about swords.

YMMV.

Chuck

Old 12-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #32
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Found this article: CONCERNING SHINKEN, from a Google search for shinken.

Excerpt:
Quote:
To summarise, it is probably not a good idea to ask a Japanese sword collector his opinion on most Shinken. You have bought your Shinken, not for its artistic merits such as Hamon, Jihada, Nie etc., but for other considerations entirely such as balance, weight, length etc., which will not necessarily be appreciated by most collectors. It is also unwise to enquire about prices from sword collectors. They will only tell you what they would pay for it as an art-sword and as we have previously discussed, Shinken are seldom art-swords of great quality. I do appreciate how much Shinken cost to buy and have written several insurance valuations for Iaido practitioners that reflect a replacement value. It is, however, not within my remit to say whether these prices represent good value or not, this can only be determined by the prospective purchaser, his requirements and his personal financial situation, but they should not be under the impression, when buying a new or recently made Shinken, that they are buying good quality Japanese art-swords - it is 'only' a sword for Iaido that is being offered.
Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com