Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
Adramalek

Dojo: Okami Ryu Ninjutsu
Puerto Rico
My New Student

Hi this is just to share a new experience with you all in reference to one of my new students his name is Jose A. Torres and he was refereed to me by an old ARMY friend that is no longer teaching Aikido. What is the deal here?

That I don't teach Aikido ether, so this motivated 19 y/old kid comes to my house to introduce himself and we strart talking about Japan, Aikido, O' Sensei, Books like The Dynamic Sphere, Musashi ext. Then he ask me ( Wow When can I start Sensei) then I tell him not to call me sensei, hummmmmmmmm OK ( Do I need a Hakama) I say never... he goes hummmmmmmmmmmmmm again at this point am trying not to burst into laughter. Then he asks me if the Tatami that I have is traditional or mats? I say to him mats only but you are not gonna use them for a wile at least until you show me that your rolls and falls are squared away He went WHAT SENSEI!?!!!? I go don't call me that

3 weeks later he is finally accustom to rolling and falling on grass, sand, mud and concrete, he has bought a punching bag and has it on his father's backyard hanging from a mango tree, he has learned after 4, 3 hour classes a week, how to throw a jab, hook, upper, jab comb. he has changed his books of Zen in archery ( by the way written by a Nazi scumbag that tortured hundreds on concentration camps during WW II) for books like The art of war, Hagakure, The Rouge Warrior and Physical fitness for fighting sports. In a couple of weeks he will start working with us on a club as door man ( No better training than hands on violence) in two more months my arrangement with Marcos ( his original teacher) will have ended, and he will no longer be my student, he will go to some Aikikai dojo that Marco's friends run. Is hard to open people to something different to what they are used to, but Jose has showed me more by taking the pressure of change than what I may be able to show him. This adaptability in students from deferent martial arts is rare but it can be accomplished by being honest with them in the sense of explaining why the approach to training is the way it is, or why the art focuses on the subjects that are now new to him or her, I'll like to now if anybody out there has encounter a student that at first was awkward but then by his or hers demeanor as a person has occupied a special place in your memory like this kid has done in mine o by the way the reason Marcos refereed him to me was because he needed more money and he was working on a fast food, making minimum wage, now when he get his certificate on basic H. t. H he will make twice that as a door guy and if he gets his papers in time along with his gun permits, by the middle of next year he has the intelligence to get his private Inv. license and go for a supervisor's job on any security firm, that will make me really happy . Please let me know of your students and any funny story you can share

This Have Been Tha Snake sharing not poison but love and appreciation for all But still Evil at Heart

Evil Ways Of Dave (Tha Snake)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!