Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-01-2004, 03:24 AM   #1
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Freaky! indecision

Hi all,

because of some changes at the industry, we have been told that we are gonna work overtime in December. The whole staff works until late hours. The problem is, I can not go to training anymore - and I was supposed to take the 1.st Kyu test at the end of December.

If I speak to my boss and ask him for 1-1,5 hours permission - I think he would (may) accept it. But I am "sure" the stuff would not be happy with that..on the other hand, If I do not go to trainings, I will miss 1 month and the next test will be hold in April 05...

would you ask for permission or would you give a break

any recommendations

PS: go to trainings and train harder, you understand its value when you loose it.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:52 AM   #2
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Re: indecision

Sounds like a harsh situation at work, I feel for you, having been in similar positions.

If you do have to take a month off it probably wont do your body any harm, most athletes have "off seasons" when they rest. In regards to the grading, 5 months isn't so long, just think you'll pass easy with the extra experience, and some find that a small period not training can actually help their aikido.

On the other hand you do have a right to a life and no employer should be able to take that away. Work to live not live to work, would the other employees really dislike you for that little time off? Do their opinions matter and could you compensate in other ways if so?

Work sucks, in an ideal world we'd all be able to train without the inconvenience!

Take care,

Old 12-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #3
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai

No-one here should give advice about what to say to your boss.

I would say, put your energy where it is needed. Work, and use this time when you can't train to practice those things you don't do when you train - meditation, solo weapons practice, stretching, etc. Perhaps you'll feel more enthusiastic about doing them while you can't get to a mat.
In general, Aikido is something we do to improve our lives. We shouldn't create problems in our lives in order to study it - that's missing the first lesson right there.

10 years from now, when you're taking your sandan, you won't worry about an extra 5 months delay in testing for your 1st kyu.

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 12-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido

Why don't you explain the situation to your Sensei and see if he will test you individually in January.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Dojo: Aikido of Midland

As Larry suggests, or maybe even earlier before your work hour increase. He could always make it effective the date of the normally scheduled testing.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Dojo: Aikikai Foundation Hombu Dojo, Aikido of Hilo

I agree, start by talking to your Sensei. He/she has the authority to test you a little earlier or later, and likely wont mind. If that's not possible, you have to consider if waiting five months will really hurt you. If it makes a big difference to you personally, don't wait. If you don't mind that time, wait. That's all you have to consider.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska

Quit your job! It's taking away from your Aikido practice so it's time to move on!

Ok, maybe a little extreme, but I have thought about it myself.

I agree with the others, talk to your Sensei and see if you can work something out. Otherwise talk it over with your boss. I did that one time and he just had me make the time up some other time. Invite your co-workers to your test. Call it an "off site team building exercise".

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 12-01-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Do the work and accept that you'll have to test later.
  • You fulfill your adult obligations to work.
  • Your co-workers don't have to adjust their workload for your absence.
  • Your sensei doesn't have to adjust his schedule just for you.
  • The only person who is inconvienced at all by waiting to test is you and five months is not long.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-05-2004, 08:25 PM   #9

Personally, I think that work getting in the way is a bit of a pain, but it is something that a lot of people have to deal with. Work is 1/3 of every adult's life, and sometimes it gets in the way of the other 2/3 (sleep and the last 8 hours).

Taking the time to do the work has a few benefits. First, it would give you time to really perfect what you are testing for. Second, it would give your body some time to recover. It is suggested by health professionals to take at least 1 month per year away from strenuous activity so that your muscles and ligaments can recuperate. Third, it would let you bank a little cash you would otherwise spend on dojo fees.

If you would still like to do aikido, you might be able to compromise with your employer so that you could go to class every now and then. If he says no, just insist and offer him a free nikkajo lesson

But seriously, there should be a likeable solution to this problem. Most employers know that their employees have lives of their own and know that sometimes they have to compromise with them.

Best of luck.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:46 PM   #10
Lyle Laizure
Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC

You just have to ask yourself which is more important.

Lyle Laizure
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 12-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #11
Dojo: Shinsuikan, Genoa, Ohio

Talk to your sensei for sure - and remember - it's not a race to shodan.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!