Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2004, 12:03 AM   #26
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Does Aikido make you smarter?

At least we're smart, thoughtful idiots

I remember I was showing some pictures from a demo I did to a friend of mine. In this particular demo I was attacking my instructor with a jo. My friend looked at the pictures and then looked at me and said something like...

"So. You have a big stick and you're trying to hit this old Japanese guy. And he takes the stick away from you and then whacks you with it. He then gives the stick back to you and you try and hit him again, with the same result. You get whacked.

How many times did you try and do this? Don't you learn?!"

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 11-30-2004, 12:25 AM   #27
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
How many times did you try and do this? Don't you learn?!"
Umm, no...we don't

My sensei will often have me in a lock or pin during demonstration of a technique. He'll ask me to try to hit him so I try to lay one in there. The pain is usually, well......impressive. Then he'll do the same thing on the other side with the same result. One of the students once asked "why do you attack just as hard the second time when you know what will happen". It's my job I replied

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #28
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Umm, no...we don't

My sensei will often have me in a lock or pin during demonstration of a technique. He'll ask me to try to hit him so I try to lay one in there. The pain is usually, well......impressive. Then he'll do the same thing on the other side with the same result. One of the students once asked "why do you attack just as hard the second time when you know what will happen". It's my job I replied
Hey! I resemble those remarks!!

Old 11-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #29
Bronson

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Hey! I resemble those remarks!!
Oh crap, now I'm doing things those insane Yoshinkan senshusei graduates do. They're gonna revoke my aiki-fruitie card for sure now

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-30-2004, 04:22 AM   #30
rachel
Dojo: Aikikai Foundation Hombu Dojo, Aikido of Hilo
Japan

Quote:
Does Aikido make you smarter?
I think that from Aikido, we definately gain better coordination and spatial awareness.
I've been practicing Aikido from childhood, and as a kid, I was always the best at imitating movement. I think that from Aikido training I have good skills of observaiton. I like to think I'm smart.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #31
Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan

Quote:
Does Aikido make you smarter?
Given the tons of crap (business or real life related) I've heard outside the mat from mouths by higher ranked people of any rank (kyu up to 6th dan), I dare to say, Aikido doesn't make you any smarter than any other human activity.
High ranked people may be wiser (it's probably an age factor, rather than aikido rank), but as D&D clearly explains, wisdom and intelligence are two completely different things

Bye!

--
Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 AM   #32
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

me was reel stoopid until I find aikido!

(please tell me this thread escaped from the humour section..)

OT - Bronson, three no-touch throws and some breathing exercises for penance - shame on you
Old 11-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #33
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Oh crap, now I'm doing things those insane Yoshinkan senshusei graduates do. They're gonna revoke my aiki-fruitie card for sure now
<Riiiippp> <--- Sound of Aiki-fruitie card being torn to pieces.

Bronson...you are now always welcome at the RYA dojo

--Michael

Old 11-30-2004, 07:57 PM   #34
Martin Ruedas

Dojo: Makiling Southside
Philippines

Aikido makes you you
Old 11-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #35
bob_stra
Australia

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote:
Thanks, Bob, for helping me articulate what I was thinking. I believe specifically, I was wrestling with "spatial orientation" and "kinesthetic" sense and how they might increase intelligence.

Maybe "inspire perceptive thought" or something like that would be safer to say than "make you smarter". But it wouldn't get as many people talking and I really am interested to see what opinions some of the big minds out there have.

Now, please stop me if I've obviously misunderstood, but Aikido seems loaded with opportunities for a linguistic workout just by learning all the Japanese terminologies. +1A?

... SNIP....
I think you're taking it too far now. Kinesthetic and spatial - sure, +1. Intrapersonal, manybe +1. The others...+0.000001 if you're lucky. Certainly I think a good crossword puzzle would contribute more to your linguistic intelligence than aikido would.

IMHO. YMMV.

(say...where can I get me one of those aiki-fruity cards you're all ripping up? Are they scented / scratch & sniff - I'd like a raspberry one)
Old 12-02-2004, 01:48 AM   #36
Joezer M.

Quote:
Dario Rosati wrote:
but as D&D clearly explains, wisdom and intelligence are two completely different things
D&D = Dungeons and Dragons right?
Well, in aikido we focus (more or less) on empty handed techniques, with varying degrees of weapon training... We also wear no armour... So the most appropriate class would be monk... Monks need high dexterity and wisdom, good strength (unless you have the weapon finesse feat), and since we're mostly playing solo we need good charisma as well... As such, it doesn't levae much points to spend on Intelligence...

So, you can't be a good aikidoka if you have high intelligence (and as you level up, you better spend points on dexterity or wisdom, so you aren't getting smarter either.. )

Regards,

I AM in shape... Round is a shape...
Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 AM   #37
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Well by Ikkyu I was a smart ass.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-02-2004, 08:51 AM   #38
Zato Ichi

Quote:
Joezer Mandagi wrote:
D&D = Dungeons and Dragons right?
Well, in aikido we focus (more or less) on empty handed techniques, with varying degrees of weapon training... We also wear no armour... So the most appropriate class would be monk... Monks need high dexterity and wisdom, good strength (unless you have the weapon finesse feat), and since we're mostly playing solo we need good charisma as well... As such, it doesn't levae much points to spend on Intelligence...

So, you can't be a good aikidoka if you have high intelligence (and as you level up, you better spend points on dexterity or wisdom, so you aren't getting smarter either.. )
AIKIDOKA
GAME RULE INFORMATION
Aikidoka have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Constitution is especially important for aikidoka, as they will be thrown repeatedly at the ground at high velocity, and need to be able to recover quickly so they can be thrown at the ground at high velocity again. A high dexterity is also desirable, so they can recover quickly as possible, and then be thrown at the ground again. Aikidoka generally have low Wisdom, as evidenced by their willingness to be thrown repeatedly to the ground at high velocity, and claim it's good for their training. Aikidoka with high Strength are known as Shodothugs. Evil aikidoka are called Yoshingoons. Evil aikidoka with high strength are called @&#^$ Bastards
Alignment: Any, but aikidoka cannot be neutral. They're really opinionated.
Hit Die: d8

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the aikidoka.
Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Aikidoka are proficient with bokken and jo.
Aikidoka are not proficient with armour or shields, but they can wear a specialized piece of armor called hakama. Although just made from a light fabric, the hakama provides a surprisingly good AC, due to the fact that it looks like a big, fluffy skirt and monsters and other classes will have a hard time taking a swing at the aikido through their fits of laughter. The downside is that every time an aikidoka moves in hakama, they must make a Dexterity check or fall flat on their faces (consult the Hakama Injury Table).
Grab My Wrist: any creature who grabs the aikidoka's wrist will take double damage from the aikidoka's attacks as long as they are in contact.
The Unbendable Arm: The aikidoka's arm becomes unbendable. Not much use, but a great party trick.
Ki Attack: By channeling ki through his body, the aikido can launch a fiery attack at his opponents. The aikidoka must yell HADOKEN! or KAMEHAMEYA! as this attack is launched. Shodothugs and Yoshingoons cannot use this special ability, and will, in fact, deny any knowledge of it's existence.

Last edited by Zato Ichi : 12-02-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #39
happysod
United Kingdom

Hori the dojo master has touched my inner geek, this thread should now throw a saving roll against hijack
Old 12-02-2004, 10:03 AM   #40
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

I think all you people are pretty awesome and I'm really happy with the way this thread is turning out. As I've mentioned before, when I am curious or just thinking about something (rather than take the time to properly research it myself), I like to submit it to the "tribe mentality" and find out what other people know and think.

There's a third factor in my equation now, that the association of all these brilliant minds raises the bar through some kind of synergy. Back in my Tae Kwon Do days, I had a Gwan Jang Nim with quite a marvelous mind and he had an analogy about a campfire- That the heat was multiplied by the fires of all the individual logs together, etc. There seems to be evidence of this effect everywhere- in universities, laboratories, dojos and web forums like this one.

Being around people who are of a higher caliber in some way inspires me to become better in some way, too. Maybe that's a half-answer for Lynn Seiser's question about defining "smarter". It seems obvious to me now that smart/wise/enlightened/brilliant/insert-your-definition-here minds must gravitate together and oscillate in a way which amplifies the mysterious energy at work.

I'm not afraid to make some pretty far stretches for a tasty concept, as you must be aware by now.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:15 PM   #41
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
R. Haruo Hori wrote:
AIKIDOKA
GAME RULE INFORMATION
Abilities: Aikidoka with high Strength are known as Shodothugs. Evil aikidoka are called Yoshingoons. Evil aikidoka with high strength are called @&#^$ Bastards

CLASS FEATURES
Ki Attack: By channeling ki through his body, the aikido can launch a fiery attack at his opponents. The aikidoka must yell HADOKEN! or KAMEHAMEYA! as this attack is launched. Shodothugs and Yoshingoons cannot use this special ability, and will, in fact, deny any knowledge of it's existence.
Just for the record. I believe the correct term for the "Evil Aikidoka" is YoshiOrc and not (as shown above) Yoshingoon.

Sorry...just had to make that clear Otherwise a good summary <grin>

--Michael...who enjoys the company of both Shodothugs and YoshiOrcs (and YoshiOrclets)

Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 PM   #42
Zato Ichi

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Just for the record. I believe the correct term for the "Evil Aikidoka" is YoshiOrc and not (as shown above) Yoshingoon.

Sorry...just had to make that clear Otherwise a good summary <grin>
Thanks Michel. I'll make sure to include it in the errata when it's published, as well as information on the highly asked for aikifruitie prestige class!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #43
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I have to ask. Obviously the female of the species does not mind the term YoshiOrclets as we have surviving YoshiOrcs (I assume Orclets is not referring to little Orcs) but what will we do with Shodothugs. Personally I think the name should cover both - I just can not imagine living long after I called someone a Shodothugette.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-02-2004, 09:57 PM   #44
Joezer M.

Aikido with D&D rules = turn based aikido played with dice? And instead of a sensei you have a dojo master.... hmmmm....

Regards,

I AM in shape... Round is a shape...
Old 12-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #45
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I have to ask. Obviously the female of the species does not mind the term YoshiOrclets as we have surviving YoshiOrcs (I assume Orclets is not referring to little Orcs) but what will we do with Shodothugs. Personally I think the name should cover both - I just can not imagine living long after I called someone a Shodothugette.
Dear Hori-San,

Michael tells me you have broken some digit... get well soon, we need you to continue to draw humurous caricuture.

Dear PeterR,
Chief Yoshiorc = Stumpy
Female Yoshiorc = They exist? Where? I am getting lonely.
All other non-chief Yoshiorcs = Yoshiorclets.

Boon - Proud to be an YoshiOrc

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #46
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I don't know...as long as you explain that you mean the term in an endearing/nice way.

I survived calling a friend of mine "wenchette" all through university. Of course I had to explain (VERY QUICKLY the first time) that it was a term of affection. After that she just accepted it.

--Michael

Old 12-02-2004, 10:41 PM   #47
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
R. Haruo Hori wrote:
AIKIDOKA
GAME RULE INFORMATION

Ki? Ki are for Sissies.

Boon,
Member of Yoshiorc.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:09 AM   #48
bob_stra
Australia

Quote:
R. Haruo Hori wrote:
AIKIDOKA
GAME RULE INFORMATION
Abilities: Constitution is especially important for aikidoka, as they will be thrown repeatedly at the ground at high velocity, and need to be able to recover quickly so they can be thrown at the ground at high velocity again. A high dexterity is also desirable, so they can recover quickly as possible, and then be thrown at the ground again. Aikidoka generally have low Wisdom, as evidenced by their willingness to be thrown repeatedly to the ground at high velocity, and claim it's good for their training. Aikidoka with high Strength are known as Shodothugs. Evil aikidoka are called Yoshingoons. Evil aikidoka with high strength are called @&#^$ Bastards
Alignment: Any, but aikidoka cannot be neutral. They're really opinionated.
Hit Die: d8

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the aikidoka.
Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Aikidoka are proficient with bokken and jo.
Aikidoka are not proficient with armour or shields, but they can wear a specialized piece of armor called hakama. Although just made from a light fabric, the hakama provides a surprisingly good AC, due to the fact that it looks like a big, fluffy skirt and monsters and other classes will have a hard time taking a swing at the aikido through their fits of laughter. The downside is that every time an aikidoka moves in hakama, they must make a Dexterity check or fall flat on their faces (consult the Hakama Injury Table).
Grab My Wrist: any creature who grabs the aikidoka's wrist will take double damage from the aikidoka's attacks as long as they are in contact.
The Unbendable Arm: The aikidoka's arm becomes unbendable. Not much use, but a great party trick.
-snork-

That's pretty damn funny

2 points

Now...do the other 2 pernennial aikiweb favourites: judoka and BJJ'er.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:51 AM   #49
Bronson

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Ki? Ki are for Sissies.
Ah yes. Ki is like fire to YoshiOrcs. It's bright and burns when it touches there leathery wart covered hides. They fear it because although they can feel it's presence and effects it has no substance and cannot be touched. This confuses the YoshiOrcs for they are simpletons who care not for the higher pursuits.

Bronson 2nd level aiki-fruity prestige class (who sincerely hopes all the friendly YoshiOrcs take this as a joke because I'm pretty sure they could all pound me into the ground like a tent stake )

Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 AM   #50
happysod
United Kingdom

This thread has failed it's saving throw... (yours, aiki-fruity premium coward class with camp distinction)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!