Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-19-2004, 08:20 AM   #26
Eriksen
Denmark
Re: "What do you wish you had known?

If your gi trousers have a cloth string inside (for tying at the waist), always use fabric softener when you wash them.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:17 AM   #27
bob_stra
Australia

Honestly?

(1) Aikido hurts
(2) Find your own movement
(3) Trust your own movement
(4) Some ppl are a$$holes, aikido training or no.
(5) Begin bokken training ASAP
(6) Work on the mental aspect / fear / habitual startle patterns ASAP
(7) Dedicate more time to ukemi. Ukemi done right is magic.
(8) Find a club the gels with your personality - not nec. the nearest one.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #28
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Freaky! Re: "What do you wish you had known?

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote:
(1) Aikido hurts

Somehow, the Seidokan dojo I was in back in the '80s could do nikkyo without inflicting any pain, although it would still work. I remember when the late Rod Kobayshi Sensei got me in nikkyo during a seminar here in 1988. "Try to get up," he said. I couldn't move -- it didn't hurt at all, but it felt like my wrist was pressed against a solid wall -- couldn't budge!

Well, someone should have warned me that there are painful versions of nikkyo, and the dojo I am in seems to find them. And then do nikkyo for 25 minutes. Well, not always, but it works out that way sometimes. So I've been making a point of doing the aiki taiso wrist stretches after class, especially the one derived from nikkyo, so that I don't feel it in my pecs (of all places) the next day!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:18 PM   #29
rachel
Dojo: Aikikai Foundation Hombu Dojo, Aikido of Hilo
Japan

Quote:
(1) Aikido hurts
I'd just like to point out that Aikido never has to hurt. When you practice, you always have options. You can choose your partner, how aggressively to attack, how much to resist, how hard to fall, and many other things. If you don't want to get hurt, you have a choice to practice in a less rough style. You will still learn, no matter which way you choose, but you know what your physical body can handle. Make smart choices in class and you will not be hurt.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #30
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

Quote:
Rachel Klein wrote:
I'd just like to point out that Aikido never has to hurt. When you practice, you always have options. You can choose your partner, how aggressively to attack, how much to resist, how hard to fall, and many other things. If you don't want to get hurt, you have a choice to practice in a less rough style. You will still learn, no matter which way you choose, but you know what your physical body can handle. Make smart choices in class and you will not be hurt.
I would say that you need to "feel" Aikido, and that includes some pain. There are degrees of pain and what we learn to do is avoid "damaging" pain with our ukemi. Feeling the pain (from Aikido that hurts) allows us to grow so that we don't react to the pain. The reaction to the pain (shock/flinch) can be the difference between life and death! Plus, the pains makes us stronger people inside.

Osu!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #31
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Really good question...

If I had to pick one thing I think it would be that "power follows form".

By this I mean that since Aikido is a martial art (as Si so eloquently expressed) we want/need it to work. What I had to learn and what took me a long time to realize is that it didn't have to work *for me* the very first time I tried a technique, or the 10th time or even the 500th time. And that using muscle and forcing a technique to work didn't actually make it work.

By working on the form and the balance and the timing the technique started to work and as the form got better the power got stronger. Which made techniques work better and stronger and I didn't have to work as hard.

So...once you have the form the power will follow...but believing that and not "making" it work with a little bit of muscle is/was hard for me to do.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #32
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

1. you don't get taught aikido, you learn it i.e. it is not a passive thing, you must search to do the best aikido you can do.
2. people do aikido differently. There are many poor high grade instructors and there are many low grades who have enormous insight into aikido.
3. when the student is ready the teacher will appear (i.e. sometimes what some people say sounds crap because you are not yet ready to understand it)

I think the above come under sincerity in aikido training (and being sincere to yourself).

4. aikido is not a set of techniques, but what comes after you've learnt those techniques (i.e. the completeness and responsiveness which allows the techniques to occur without fore-thought) - it is complete and whole set of principles within itself, not a list of techniques.

Most importantly - although there are plateaus in aikido training, these are essential to get the routine aikido ingrained - there is always more to learn and you'll never know from what source this inspiration will appear to come from or how long it will take to arrive.

Finally, the messsage in my signature:

Last edited by ian : 11-22-2004 at 09:27 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #33
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
...as Si so eloquently expressed...
What came over me?

I hate the "pretend we are doing a martial art" crowd! Especially when they seem to be the loudest voice

!

Osu!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!