Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Folded, but new beginnings

Hi folks,

A lot of you know me from my previous 2.5 years postings about trying to get a fledgling dojo off the ground, and have offered advice and support. After two years of running the dojo, I have thrown in the towel on it so to speak. Due to my new job, which is routinely taking 80 hours a week of my life, and the difficulties financially with the dojo, I have closed up as of last month.

Fortunately for me, I have a wonderful friend who has a terrific dojo not far from me, and he invited me to come and practice at his dojo. Now I get the best of both worlds, which is to actually get to train hard, and to continue to teach.

Making the decision to close the dojo was difficult, as my students were wonderful to have, and I really believed in what we were doing. In the end, it was the pressure of my life outside the dojo though that was the deciding factor. That and the graciousness of Rodger Park Sensei and both the ER and WR in accommodating the move.

I am truly grateful to belong as a member to the USAF, both ER and WR, and hope you will hear nothing but positive posts from me well into the future.

Best to all, Rachel
Old 11-07-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Folded, but new beginnings

Rachel - Sorry to hear about the closing, I know it is something you wanted to do. However it sounds like the right thing to do at this time, when 'life calls' you have to listen.

Now that you are more knowledgable from the experience, perhaps you will see another opportunity at some time on the future, but for now just training isn't a bad thing!
Old 11-07-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

Compliments and compassion. Your attitude does you honor. Enter and blend with what life gives us.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Aiki U-Dansha
Dojo: Ryushin Dojo: via Amelia 30\b
Italy

I'm very sorry for your Dojo.

Good luck for everything
Old 11-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
rachmass

Thanks Lynn, thanks Larry! I do believe it was a good move at this point in my life. No use constantly swimming upstream like a salmon waiting to spawn (since I have no desire to spawn at this point in my life).

Take care, and we'll all chat soon.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States

Thanks for the update Rachel. While I know this has been difficult, you sure are looking at it positively. Thanks for setting such a good example.

I suppose you didn't make Winter Camp since you are posting right now. Me either. I'm traveling for business, and am currently sitting in a hotel in Decatur, IL.

Hope to see you soon.

Mel
Old 11-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
rachmass

Hey Mel!!

No, Winter Camp (as well as Summer Camp) were a no-go this year. I started my new job in June, and I have only managed two seminars since then. It's been crazy! I'll be going to the seminar in Glen Ellyn with Takeguchi Sensei (if I can ever remember to print the registration form and get it off on time), and I am going to make it to Cincinnati at least once before the beginning of next year. I have just had to work through most weekends on top of the regular work week, so things have been rough. Hope to see you at either place soon.

Thanks for the well wishes!
Old 11-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

My sympathies as well. I was pulling for you. Enjoy your new venue. Good luck with training and new job.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 11-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

Hi Rachel; sorry about the dojo - I know how much it must've hurt to have to close it.

Still; the important thing is that you know this isn't a failure - in the grand scheme of things it isn't even a setback; just a step along the way towards having a permanent dojo. It's painful; but you made the right decision at the right time; in the end it's a valuable lesson and excellent experience. When you open your next dojo; it'll be that much stronger because of it.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Hey Rachel,

Sorry to hear it finally had to end. Sounds like the new training arrangments are working out better though, that's a plus

We had a great time when we came to visit and we still talk about what you showed us. Hopefully we can get on the mat together again sometime soon.

Best,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-09-2004, 03:08 AM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Hi Rachel;

If you remember we started our groups at about the same time. For that reason I followed your adventure with some interest. Sorry to hear that you were forced to close but .....

When I opened my group in both Quebec City and Himeji it was with the knowledge that eventually I would leave (new jobs). Always a little sad but you gained some experience, your students gained some knowledge and the next time opportunity and desire converge (and that will happen) you will be more capable.

Till the next time.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-09-2004, 10:28 AM   #12
akiy

Hi Rachel,

I'm sorry to hear that your dojo isn't continuing, but am happy that your training will be. I'm sure that the next time you take on such a project, you'll have this experience to refer back onto and that things will work out more smoothly!

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #13
Jerry Miller

United_States
Smile Re: Folded, but new beginnings

Rachel,

I have followed your dojo through this site for some time. I am sure that you have made the right decision for yourself. Your postings always provided balance to any thread. I hope that you are enjoying you job and happy training to you.

Jerry Miller
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
rachmass

Thank you again everyone for your well wishes! This forum really can be a community and it is refreshing and bolstering to have such a large network of kind folks to speak with.

My new job is very intense, and I am consistently working 14-16 hour days, leaving me little time for anything other than eat, sleep, work and some aikido. Fortunately I am back my old dojo, where I had practiced for 10 years prior to going on my own, and have been welcomed back with open arms. I feel a lot stronger now from my experience of having run a dojo for two years, and I would imagine at some point I will do so again, perhaps when I am a little older and more experienced, and hopefully not from scratch again....

Again, thank you all for your kindness and support.

best regards, Rachel
Old 11-14-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
Thomas Ambrose

United_States

Rachel,

I am sorry to hear about the closing of your dojo. It was nice to have a choice of different aikido dojos around here. I will enjoy training with you at HVA though!

thomas

Last edited by Thomas Ambrose : 11-14-2004 at 04:33 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 11-14-2004, 05:38 PM   #16
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Rachel,

Sounds like a good decision and conducted with grace.

Please be careful, though. 14 hour jobs can be a tremendous drain on your mental and physical health--don't let it wear you down.

Mary Kaye
Old 11-15-2004, 07:14 AM   #17
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands

Wauw, 80 hours a week! Glad not to be in your shoes!
(hope it is worth your while!)

Good luck,

Arjan
Old 11-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #18
rachmass

The 80 hours a week is hopefully temporary. Frankly I burned out last week and had to escape. It should go down to 50-60 hour weeks shortly, and that I can handle. Thanks for the concern, fortunately it is only a temporary situation, and is already beginning to lessen (thank goodness!).
Old 11-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #19
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Sorry to hear about the dojo Rachel but glad to hear that the new job is chilling out a little.

All the very best for the future.

Cheers,

Matt.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!