Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-09-2004, 02:53 AM   #26
sjm924
United_States
Re: aikido and resistance

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
Interesting.
Kenji Tomiki had ideas about atemi along similar lines.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/en/kyogi7.html

Sean
x
Sean,

Thanks for the link. . . very cool. From what I understand both Shioda and Tomiki learned from Ueshiba around the same time period.
Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #27
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
JD Dalton wrote:
i need to know how long it might take aikido to work against a strong uncoopartive person in a self defense situation.
i have had family members who can tottally resist my technique and if it happens this way on the streets IM going to get hurt in a self defense situation.
how many months or years does it take for aikido to REALLY start working even on a extremely strong and uncooperative person.

P.S. i have been taking aikikai aikido for 3 months
with an instructor who is willing to do away with the precepts of Okuden (secret oral transmissions which have to be earned)
you can assimilate the mechanics for one technique in 6 months 3 hous a day every day ,but still to use it takes a lifetime to master.you will need also to practice against types of attacks not normally associated with the basic traditional kyu,and you can't or shouldn't over look the basic kyu .essentially grabs are the way to liberate your self to strikes .strikes are the way to liberate your self from strikes.but first start with some one grabbing you .and the reps left and right you do in class should pale in comparison to the reps you do in private 10,100,1000......
Old 11-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #28
jester

United_States

Quote:
Jason DeLucia wrote:
to use it takes a lifetime to master
What exactly does this mean?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:08 PM   #29
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Actually from my experience effectiveness against resistance has a lot more to do with mastery of the fundamentals and basics of tai sabaki, kuzushi, metsuke, ma ai and atemi that you learn from day one rather than any secret teachings or Okuden.

But this is just my view.

It does take mastery and years of training to operate against resistance and make it look as clean and pretty as non-resistance training though.

Just my 2 cents.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-08-2004, 05:12 PM   #30
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote:
Quote:
Jason DeLucia wrote:
to use it takes a lifetime to master
What exactly does this mean?
I don't know what Jason actually meant, but I take it to mean that you never stop learning.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 11-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #31
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
I don't know what Jason actually meant, but I take it to mean that you never stop learning.

--Michael
yes ,it's not like a bicycle .once you learn it you must forget it and learn it again until you've assimilated enough variable information then it's like alot of different bikes.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #32
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

One thing you might look at is the direction and position of your hip relative to uke's when you are the nage. A lot of countering in Aikido techniques simply starts by uke repositioning their hip to be either behind your or not at 90 degrees to your hip. To be most effective, almost all techniques, at least at some point in the technique, requires your hip to be at 90 degrees to and behind uke's hip. The easiest way to check this is to check which way uke's bellybutton is pointing and which way nage's bellybutton is pointing. For nage to be effective, the hips should be at 90 degrees. However, you must also consider who is behind who. This cannot be determined by foot position but by shoulder position. At a critical point in the technique where you are stopped from going any further with the technique by uke, have both uke and nage drop their hands by their sides without changing the position of the rest of their body. The person who can most easily touch the other person's back with one of their hands is the person who is behind the other. A person whose feet are behind nage's feet can still have their body in front. If a person is bent over (possibly from an atemi), if both nage and uke drop their hands, you will find that nage can easily touch uke's back while uke cannot tough nage's back. Another important consideration is nage's ki extension and uke's centre. Nage's ki should be above uke's ki centre, tanden, so that nage can crush uke. This is best accomplished by swinging the arms up (furikaburi). If your arms do not swing up fully and your arms are not above uke's centre, You won't be able to move uke.

Rock

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!