Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #26
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Re: Need Help Urgent! :(

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
I actually think the two arts are very similar in their utility of technique over strength, if anything the only difference is that BJJ will allow you to implement earlier in the training cycle (in it's domain against motivated resisting opponents).
I just wanted to share my (reborn) excitement about this -- I don't get to train that often currently so when I do train I get very excited about it. It is frankly amazing and such a great visceral demonstration of technique over strength the first time you roll with a newbie after you get even just a tiny bit of experience under your belt.

I don't have very much experience or skill, but I I rolled for the first time in a long while the other day against a newbie who probably outweighed me by at least 30-40 lbs and had upper arms twice the size of mine (not fat). He was tentative and didn't know what he was doing -- I was amazed at just how easy it was. There were moments where I could feel that he was trying to use all his arm strength to get out of things, but it availed him not -- and I stayed relaxed and felt at the end that I had hardly broken a sweat.

The great thing about bjj/subwrestling is that you get to experience this so much sooner (as Aristeia said).

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #27
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Skill, body-weight, strength, stamina - all these help. The balance between them depends on your opponents abilties. Weight (rather than strength) has an enormous advantage with gappling esp. on the floor. Watching the gracie brothers though, you can see how they relax and use skill and awareness to overcome opponents heavier than themselves. People tend to be a bit obsessed with what is better than what. The real question should be though, 'how can I be the best I can be?' Thus, although tiny weak women may not be good at grappling, there are plenty of things they can do which will improve there chances in a self-defence situation. Try everything, use anything that works.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:12 PM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Size and strength are important where it counts. The bigger and stronger you are, the more margin of error you can afford when you make mistakes or are lacking in skill.

When I work with guys that are less experienced than I, I don't get out of breath and I am very aiki, however, match me with a guy that has more experience than I, then things get a little more dicey. If he happens to be bigger than me and better, well...I have my work cut out for me and usually lose.

I am working with guys on grappling right now...it is amazing how applicable the aiki methods are in teaching them to relax and find center. I am finding it sort of like a chess match, you balance trying to submit your opponent to wearing him out to anerobic exhaustion. I would never fight like this for real though and demonstrate why you don't want to do this in a real fight when there are multiple opponents....when this occurs...well...you have a whole different fight management style that more resembles randori.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #29
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
When I work with guys that are less experienced than I, I don't get out of breath and I am very aiki, however, match me with a guy that has more experience than I, then things get a little more dicey. If he happens to be bigger than me and better, well...I have my work cut out for me and usually lose.
Exactly -- my experience also.

Quote:
I am working with guys on grappling right now...it is amazing how applicable the aiki methods are in teaching them to relax and find center. I am finding it sort of like a chess match, you balance trying to submit your opponent to wearing him out to anerobic exhaustion.
Also interesting that grappling, especially when being compressed in a bottom situation, really rewards and amplifies the reasons for practice in relaxed breathing.

Quote:
I would never fight like this for real though and demonstrate why you don't want to do this in a real fight when there are multiple opponents....when this occurs...well...you have a whole different fight management style that more resembles randori.
Could you possibly elaborate on this a little more?

Thanks,
=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:59 PM   #30
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

easier to demonstrate. I have found many points where I would simply end the fight with strike to vital area or disengage once slipping the guard for instance.

My favorite is fighting two opponents, that changes the whole grappling dynamic. You basically manage two fighters much like randori by keeping one off balance while you deal with the other. Concentrating on one opponent will get you into trouble.

In strict BJJ grappling style I would do a take down then mount...in real situation I might do something different like run away after off balancing him,or irimi behind the second guy...it is situational dependent like all things!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!