Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States
Question Practical ukemi

Has anyone used their ukemi to absorb a fall from a bicycle? motorcycle? down stairs? or other dangerous tumbles?
Do other martial arts teach energy absorbing techniques to the same, or greater degree?

I know of two people who used forward rolls after nabbing a loose ball during softball/basketball practice. Both caught and kept the ball and amazed the crowd.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States
Re: Practical ukemi

Well, once while playing vollyball I twisted my ankle and turned it into a nice backward roll. Another time I went over the handlebars of my bicycle and forward rolled out.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

This summer I was out for a walk, turned my ankle on an uneven place in the pavement. Instead of falling on my face, as I've done in the past, I did a great back roll. Anyone watching would have been amazed.
I was just glad to have skined my knees and hands.

Jeanne
Old 09-23-2004, 02:03 AM   #4
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

I wiped out skiing once and managed to turn it into a side breakfall and back up without losing the skis...caught up to my cousin and was he ever surprised.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 09-23-2004, 02:05 AM   #5
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Monday night whilst training, I managed to get the old big toe stuck in the hakama as I stepped forward. If anyone has done this before you'll know, but it results in a very quick direct fall face down as the leg you anticipate supporting you is cut away. As my shoulder brushed the mat my arms were still by my side (it happened that quick) but my reactions somehow managed to twist me just enough to go over rather than continue pile driving the shoulder into the mat. I was very lucky, I remember vividly a good friend of mine doing the same thing many years ago when we about 5th kyu, he wasn't so lucky and dislocated his shoulder.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 09-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #6
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
Dan Guthrie wrote:
Has anyone used their ukemi to absorb a fall from a bicycle? motorcycle? down stairs? or other dangerous tumbles?
Yes. Many times. Actually stopped traffic once going airborne on rollerblades and breakfalling on pavement.

Good ukemi is THE most practical thing most folks will ever learn in the dojo.

A dear friend and former student who's now in his early 70s credits good ukemi skills for not having had hip replacement surgery yet.

I've toyed several years with the idea of building an 'ukemi for seniors' course to offer through senior community centers, etc.

Quote:
Dan Guthrie wrote:
Do other martial arts teach energy absorbing techniques to the same, or greater degree?
Yes. Aikido (and it's ukemi) is not particularly unique.

Almost any martial system that teaches any groundwork will also provide ukemi training of some sort.

"Modern' ukemi theory and technique is often credited to the old Sekiguchi Ryu system of jujutsu, in fact.

Chuck

Old 09-23-2004, 03:13 AM   #7
solidsteven
Dojo: Aikikai-Liechtenstein

me and a friend where hiking a mountain and on the way back
we came across a narrow path.
Suddenly i slipped on a rock and i was heading straight onto the right side of the path
where some mean looking thornbushes where waiting for me to fall on them.
Now, somehow i managed to do a forward ukemi roll leading me right back onto the path!
The next thing i noticed was that i was standing again, only with some little cuts on my hand.

im sure that i would have much badder injuries if i wouldnt have escaped the thornbush with ukemi

thank you ukemi!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:56 AM   #8
Jim Simons
Dojo: Aikido in the Fan

The only practical ukemi stories of my own that come to mind are simple things like "It was winter, it was icy, I slipped... The tile floor was wet, I slipped..."

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:

One gent who teaches beginner classes in my home dojo always makes that same point when introducing ukemi; "Statistically very few of you will ever be physically attacked, but every one of you will fall down at some point in your life."

His own favorite practical ukemi story starts with him, in his youth, skateboarding down a hill in a shopping cart...
Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 AM   #9
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey

I haven't used ukemi on street (yet ) but I have a friend, who did. He was out with a girl friend. She saw a flower on a high grass hill and said "ohh look how beautiful", you know, our superman climbed, got it and ran down (the hill was a little steep and he thought he could stop when he is down -- wet grass and wearing stout leather shoes )…you can guess the result, when he stepped the concrete, he loosed his balance. The good thing he did a mae ukemi and stood up -- on that time, he just had trained 2-3 months. He had a scratch on his hand and forehead a bit…as I said -- superman- he did not drop the flower ...

Has anyone have knowledge-experience about ukemi on stairs? is it possible to stand up without being hurt…
Old 09-23-2004, 06:42 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I was picked up and thrown by a very big person once in a night club - ukemi helped me then. Also fallen over a couple of times and done ukemi.

A friend hit a car which pulled out of a junction, on his motorbike, and did a ukemi over the bonnet. Also I've done a ukemi on the sea bed when caught in a wave during surfing (very bizzare).

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-23-2004, 07:01 AM   #11
David_francis

Dojo: St Ives Aikidojo
United Kingdom

A while back i was fooling around in a meadow with some friends on my crappy old motorbike. Anyhow i didnt see a large tractor track and drove over it at 30mph my back wheel came out from under me and i fell over skidding along the grass with the motorbike firmly planted on top of my legs. I wasnt wearing a helmet at the time (STUPID i know) but my back automatically assumed breakfall position and i tucked my chin in so i didnt break my neck. I came out of it fine but with just a few scratches and a HUGE grass stain all up my back and the rear of my jeans. My friends couldnt believe i didnt break anything, i said that was nothing you should see what i go through in a good aikido lesson!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
davidraybell
Dojo: UCO Budo Society
United_States

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:
I agree. I fall a lot and have used ukemi every time.

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:
Yes. Aikido (and it's ukemi) is not particularly unique.

Almost any martial system that teaches any groundwork will also provide ukemi training of some sort.
It just depends on the art. The Marines teach martial arts , but they don't really give it much thought. We would do ma training at boot camp every other day, but when I got to my unit, we never did any sustainment training. Ukemi was given no more than ten minutes to do back break falls and never higher than the knee. As such, I now have two broken arms that happened before I started aikido... since aikido, no broken arms.... and my rate of falling is the same.

But what do I know, I'm just a white belt.
Dave
Old 09-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #13
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States

I have a good one....Funny too.
My brother was riding his harley down one of our Louisiana backroads and caught some gravel in a curve to the right. He was traveling around 50 mph and the wheels slid left, the handlebars right. When the right grip hit the ground he headed back into the road for two complete rolls. He called me to come pick him up and all we found on him was some minor scrapes on his lower back.
The bike spent 3 1/2 months in the shop!
Shane
Old 09-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #14
daniel loughlin
Dojo: Oldham
United Kingdom

iv used ukemi a few times during football pratices' only against dirty teams mind you. and iv done backward ukemi down a flight of stairs and landed straight on my feet maybe more luk or not i dont know but i was fine .
Old 09-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #15
Scosner
United_States

I haven't done any real life ukemi in some time..

Before I started Aikido I crashed a dirtbike once and later (after training a few months) realized that I had done a nearly perfect forward roll over the handlebars! Came up standing and everything! Even in time to stop the bike from trying to drive itself off a small cliff! (Good ukemi didn't stop a nice burn from the tailpipe tho! )

I had a friend at my first dojo who saved himself some likely hospital time with ukemi. He was bicycling down a path through the woods in Santa Cruz (at a good pace) when a rampant deer came out of nowhere and attacked him! (No really, he swears IT hit HIM!) He flew over the handlebars and into a series of forward rolls for some 10-20 feet before coming too a stop. He was pretty bruised and lost some skin from his knees, but no breaks, sprains or strains...

Ok, back to my nice dark hole now...
Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 PM   #16
jacob wood
United_States

Over labor day weekend my friend and i were bored, and so with nothing better to do, we tied a razor scooter to the back of his car, and then he proceded to tow me. I don't know how fast we got going but it felt really fast (especially on a razor scooter!). I hit a manhole and flipped off and did to forward front rolls and nothing happened exept for a scrape on my index finger.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!