Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
Robert Townson

United Kingdom
Getting Associated

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if I could pick your brains.

I am a member of a small dojo of approximately 14 people based in South Manchester in the UK. We are independent dojo, but my sensei(s) has mention that he would like to become part of an association.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with joining an association within the UK and if there are any constraints or criteria to join.
Also if anyone can suggest any good ones to join and/or possibly suggest ones to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Rob

"You are not truly dead until you are totally forgotten."

"Courage is the mastery of fear, not the absence of fear."
Old 08-26-2004, 01:58 AM   #2
David Humm
United Kingdom
Re: Getting Associated

Hi Robert

One of the more simplest options would be to choose an organisation that you've previously had contact with through seminars etc, and appoach them with a view to joining as a dojo.

Most of the bigger organisations within the UK will consider membership from either individuals or entire dojo.

One of the things to consider however is the "style" of aikido that you guys currently practice, in joining an organisation, you'd be best attempting to find one that matches your current style otherwise, there may be some retraining to bring your dojo in to line with that of the organisation you wish to join.

Another consideration is do you want membership of what could amount to an independent organisation or, perhaps to one of the (handful) of organisations that have an hombu affiliation.

The upside of hombu affiliation is that your future certification and training stems for the source of your chosen style, the down side is that there most proberbly would be a need to retake your last gradings to enable certification at your entry point, unless of course you guys didn't mind waiting until such time that you would take your next respective grades.

Kind regards
Old 08-26-2004, 03:20 AM   #3
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Joining an organization brings many advantages.

Which one to join? What is your style and who do you respect? Perhaps train at a few schools/seminars to feel them out?
The four Aikikai Hombu recognized organizations in this country that I know of are:

BAF - Kanetsuka Shihan, technical director.
UKA - William Smith Shihan and Sensei G Jones,
Komyokan Aikido Association - Terry Ezra Sensei.
BA - Senior students of Chiba Shihan.

All four have excellent teachers and schools near Manchester (see BAB site).
I am a member of the UKA and several clubs have affiliated recently so it is definitely possible. I have passed your info req onto one of them who may be able to help.

Be well,

Mark
Old 08-26-2004, 03:36 AM   #4
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Cannot add much more to that debate... Only ask yourself the question: why do you want to join an organisation? Is it to get access to senior teachers? Insurence (but you already have that, right?)? Gradings for your sensei? ...

Of course, it depends on which style you do. Shodokan are respresented within the BAA. See the BAB sile for the "far too many" list of organisations.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-26-2004, 04:27 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Join a similar association with local clubs who have compatible styles (not necessarily similar - you want to learn something new!) - it is likely you will train regularly with clubs in your affiliation.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 08-27-2004, 01:09 AM   #6
Robert Townson

United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will relay this on to me sensei(s).

Thanks,
Rob

"You are not truly dead until you are totally forgotten."

"Courage is the mastery of fear, not the absence of fear."
Old 08-29-2004, 06:46 AM   #7
Daniel-san
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
Australia

UKA! William Smith and Gordon Jones! Though I am slightly biased as I am a part of the UKA myself *Chuckles*

To know life in every breath. Every cup of tea. Every life we take. The way of the warrior. That is Bushido
Old 08-29-2004, 07:32 AM   #8
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Hi Daniel, there was a really nice couple from your dojo at Summer School this year.

Mark
Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

You`re in Manchester. Whilst we are not Aikikai Hombu affiliated, the Lancashire Aikikai lineage is from Abe Sensei and Chiba Sensei. we have a number of clubs in and around the Manchester area, if you want to e-mail me off line, I can make some further enquiries for you.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!