Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: What's that with Aikiken and Aikijo?

You are absolutely correct Charles. We really should be more specific in stating the tradition we are discussing...
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #27
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
I think that it is a big mistake made by most of the posters here to think that there is such a thing as a singular "aikiken" or "aikijo." These terms are used by the various shihan to describe the weapons systems they made up based on various sources. The sentence, "Aikiken is ...." is fundamentally flawed. The weapons systems refered to as aiki have major differences.
Charles Hill

big mistake ? that's not the point - who came up with what.

Aiki-ken and Aiki-jo refer to various systems that have developed in the context of aikido, that relate to aikido and often meant to inform taijutsu.

major differences in form ? maybe
major differences in goals ? not really.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Well, in one form of aiki-ken aiki-jo that I'm familiar with, the idea of misogi seems to be prominant...strangley enough, its also very sound from a technical standpoint, as far as I can tell.

Another form would eshew the misogi aspects (at least as far as any shinto aspects go) and yet it still seems to carry quite a bit of martial umph.

Other systems I've had minimal exposure to so I really couldn't/shouldn't comment on them to any great length. But I do see a direct corolation between things like the kamae (hamni) both with and without buki in the respective systems. Those that have a harakami buki waza stance always seem to have a harakami hamni...those that prefer kamaimi kamae seem to do the same empty handed. So at least some of the goals seem to be the same.

Ron (please pardon any japanese mis-spellings...I'm out of practice...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #29
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
that's not the point - who came up with what.
That's not my point either. My point is that often when a person on these or other forums promotes or berates what they call Aikiken or Aikijo, they obviously have a particular style in mind or else are just repeating what they have read elsewhere.

The point of weapons practice being a supplementary practice to unarmed practice seems to have come from those who have felt a need to defend Saito Sensei's weapons system from negative comments, often by people who are involved in koryu. I have never heard or read Saito Sensei as having said that taijutsu is of more importance than the other stuff he did. (I could be wrong, so I'd be very interested in hearing evidence of such thinking.) Most of my Aikiken, Aikijo comes from Shirata Sensei via John Stevens Sensei. In this system, all three are of equal value.

As far as there not being a major difference in the goals of the various shihan in their teaching of weapons, I have to (respectfully) disagree. I think the various goals are reflected in the differing emphases, techniques, and verbal teachings.

Charles Hill

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!