Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
shadowbrooke
Freaky! What style?

Bare with me here, I am a total newbee people so please be kind...please?
What is the "original" Aikido called tought by O'sensei? Is it still practised today? Wich style of Aikido is the most common? What is the difference? Is one better than the other when it comes to self-defence?
Reason I ask is because I am about to move to Sweden and the only style tought in the city we are moving to is Nishio-sensei Aikido! I included a link below to the club but unless you speak a lot of Swedish I am afraid you are at a loss. They also practice Ju-jutsu and Aikido Toho, something similar to Iaido, on the days the Aikido classes are not tought. If you want to you can go there 7 days a week and they have lots of guests scheduled through out the year including a week long visit from Japan every summer. Well, let me know what you guys think of this place even if you can't read it all...

Home Page: www.uppsalabudoklubb.se

Have a good one guys and thanks for taking your time to read this!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification.

I will offer this then, another thing I tend not to do, and I hope it can serve you well.

Go and see the school in the dojo, not the federation in the dojo. For while there may be some general trends per federation, the real differences are played from instructor to instructor. This is how it is in reality. And this is how it may be even within the same dojo that has multiple instructors.

It may take a while to see the school in the dojo so you must risk the personal investment at the return of deeper and deeper levels of reflection and insight. It's worth it. As you learn more, you will either come to see that you have made the right choice -maybe even finding some things you want now but never knew you needed. If you made the "wrong" choice you will be the wiser the next time - and this time as well for having ran the experience to its fullest.

Again - people on this forum may tell you that this federation is soft or that federation is hard or that federation is spiritual or that federation is martial or that federation is into ki and that federation is not into ki, etc., but I have trained in most places and I have witnessed just about everything - only it was not where folks said it was going to be. I have been nearly killed where things were said to be soft; put to sleep where things were supposed to be hard; laughed my ass off where things were supposed to be martial; got lectured for an hour on ki where ki was thought of as a side note; etc.

Aikido is a deeply personal thing, and this is true regardless of the party lines federations might use to keep people from uniting - to keep a line between the Same and the Other. So my advice: Go see the dojo, see the teacher(s), see the members, see the pedagogy, see the results (or lack thereof), etc. After all, in a way, you won't really see the art till you are blind to the federation.

Sorry for my mix-up.

Yours,

dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
Doka
Hi and welcome to Aikido.

O'Sensei's original style of Aikido does not exist anymore! O'Sensei changed his practice and so did his original Aikido students, so it is gone. Having said that, it was most probably somewhere between Yoshinkan Aikido and Daito Ryu Aikijutsu.

What school/dojo of Aikido is best depends on the person (you), so the advice to visit and watch/try is spot on. You have to find it for yourself.

Yes, people will talk about soft and hard here, but that too is personal! I prefer the hard school, but that is not right for all.

So good luck - go, try and enjoy.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Quote:
What is the "original" Aikido called tought by O'sensei? Is it still practised today?
I heard somewhere of an ueshiba ryu that trys to practice only the original techniques taught by Ueshiba.
Quote:
Wich style of Aikido is the most common? What is the difference?
I believe the biggest organizations are Aikikai and Ki society. Aikikai maintains aikido as a martial technique and focuses on technique and then adding ki later.

Ki society sees aikido as more of a way of life and teach lots and LOTS of ki as opposed to technique.
Quote:
Is one better than the other when it comes to self-defence?
No. Aikikai can teach you to defend yourself probably sooner than ki society because of focus on technique. But 20 years of doing ki society can make you magical. It's all about what you put into it.

Don't expect to do any aikido for less than a few years and be able to defend yourself.

Sorry about the generalizations of aikikai and Ki society above. Those are my interpertations from what i've seen.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 04-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
I'd look into both the aikido class and the jujutsu class.

Double your fun and all that...

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: What style?

Quote:
Per Brohage (shadowbrooke) wrote:
Bare with me here, I am a total newbee people so please be kind...please?

What is the "original" Aikido called tought by O'sensei? Is it still practised today? Wich style of Aikido is the most common? What is the difference? Is one better than the other when it comes to self-defence?

Reason I ask is because I am about to move to Sweden and the only style tought in the city we are moving to is Nishio-sensei Aikido! I included a link below to the club but unless you speak a lot of Swedish I am afraid you are at a loss. They also practice Ju-jutsu and Aikido Toho, something similar to Iaido, on the days the Aikido classes are not tought. If you want to you can go there 7 days a week and they have lots of guests scheduled through out the year including a week long visit from Japan every summer. Well, let me know what you guys think of this place even if you can't read it all...

Home Page: www.uppsalabudoklubb.se

Have a good one guys and thanks for taking your time to read this!
Mr Brohage,

Here are some answers to your questions.

What is the original aikido taught by O Sensei?

Morihei Ueshiba trained continuously from the time he met Sokaku Takeda in Hokkaido until he died in 1969. During this period he changed a lot and it was not until 1942 that the name 'aikido' was used--and the name was actually decided by the government. During his lifetime he taught many people, including Mr Nishio, so you could say that what Mr Nishio teaches is original, as is the aikido taught by others of his students. Of course, there are other ways of thinking about originality and I have given you just one.

Does it work? Undoubtedly, yes.

The great value of Mr Nishio's approach to aikido is that it is very comprehensive and also places great stress on the close relationship between weapons and empty-handed techniques. However, it takes quite a while to learn. In addition, the Swedish federation has managed to achieve a good working relationship among the various flavors of aikido practised in the country.

Nevertheless, a federation operates on a horizontal level, as a means of maintaining relationships among dojos, organizations and countries; it does not, or should not, impinge on the vertical relationships between student and teacher. So, in order to progress you need to find a good teacher and also make good use of this teacher.

Best regards,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 04-06-2004 at 10:34 PM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 AM   #7
*Aiki*Jimmy_yan
Dojo: Shudokan Australia (Glen Waverley Dojo)
Aikikai was develpoed by o'sensei's grandson. It is the most common

OSU!!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Uh Jimmy - Aikikai is now headed the grandson of the founder. The founder was Ueshiba M. aka O sensei.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 AM   #9
Mathias

Dojo: Meiseikai
Thumbs down

That dojo is in the same organization as mine and i go to seminars with them a several times a year.

Link to our organization: www.hokuoaikikai.com

Here you can find some info in English to...

There is another dojo in Uppsala

http://www.uppsala-aikikai.com/

I donīt think that they teach "pure" Nishio Aikido although Nishio inspired Aikido.

I think their main teacher is Takemori Sensei who is an old Nishio student.

I think you are lucky to move to Uppsala. Both These Dojos are very good!

Old 04-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
Doka
Quote:
Nathan Gidney (p00kiethebear) wrote:
I believe the biggest organizations are Aikikai and Ki society.
The Aikikai is the largest organisation, but the second largest is the Yoshinkan. I don't know where the Ki Society comes after that, but I thought that Tomiki Aikido was larger.

BUT...... that is irrelevant! If the best Aikido you can find is just one dojo, then that is the place to train!

Old 04-08-2004, 12:04 PM   #11
shadowbrooke
Thank you every one for taking the time to read this thread and responding to it! Some of my concerns have been put to rest and the remainder of the questions I have are of a nature that can only be answered in the Dojo. I have looked up the website you sent me Mattias and I like that one too. Who would have though that Uppsala had two such popular and semingly good Dojo's being that it is not a big city? The link you gave me mentions the fact that Uppsala Aikikai has Kendo and Iaido on location! That makes my decision even harder:

One Dojo has Aikido, Ju-jutsu and Iaido on the same location.

The other Dojo has Aikido, Kendo and Iaido on the same location.

Granted, the first one has a better price but it is smaller and not as high ranking Sensei's so I am at a loss. This is just too good to be true so I have to just wait and see I guess. Have anyone tried to do any of these other arts while being successfull in their Aikido? I think I am going to wait until my second year to take a second art up so I will have at least a basic foundation in Aikido before trying something else out at the same time - Sounds good?

Again, I would like to thank you all and I hope that life will treat you as good as it has me and I wish you all good luck in your further studies, be it Aikido or not.

Best regards,

Per Brohage
Old 08-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #12
monixa
Dojo: Uppsala Aikikai
Sweden

I'm a member of Uppsala Aikikai (Budohuset) and I really recommend it! I'm very new (started doing aikido in February or so) but everyone is very kind and helpful all the time. And the dojo is nice too.

And tomorrow is the first day of a 5-day seminar with Takemori-sensei here i Uppsala. I'm so excited!

Btw, I think this is my first post here. Hi everybody
Old 08-03-2004, 03:24 PM   #13
jacob wood
United_States

i have a question that i did not want to start a whole new thread for, and this seems kind of like an appropriate place to post. I'm going to start aikido really soon (was going to be today but im sick right now) and i am interested both aikikai and yoshinkan styles of aikido, and i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to start both at the same time or if i should do just one for a couple of years before starting the other. any thoughts would be appreciated!

jacob
Old 08-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #14
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I would definately not start both at the same time. Try both, see which teaching methodology / instructor you like best, and stick with that a couple of years. The terminology is different, the basics are taught differently, definitions of good form could vary...too many things for a beginner to keep track of in my opinion. Most of the people I know who have good experience in both trained in one up to 3rd to 1st kyu (depending on the org.), then got their shodan or above in the other. Personally, I started in the aikikai, never tested, then did yoshinkan and stayed there. I'll probably never test in aikikai, but I get to enough seminars and classes to know a lot of their terminology and methods. If you're in Boulder you can't go wrong with the Boulder Aikikai (where Jun teaches the beginners class I believe).

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!