Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Does Aikido have leg throws,trips&traps?

Yep, I think so. I still try to take a peak at my daito ryu training from a yoshinkan perspective, and visa versa from time to time...its probably a waste of time! Mostly just keeping them separate seems to work best. While the yoshinkan stuff can be pretty "agressive" compared to some other styles of aikido...the daito ryu techniques still give me a feeling of invasiveness.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #27
jester

United_States

Quote:
Jim Gilsinn wrote:
I said leg sweaps aren't really effective because many people that really know something about fighting have seen them and have some sort of counter.
I'd have to disagree totally. Leg sweeps, reaps, etc. are incredibly effective. You have to know when to do them, and not rush into it. Like all techniques, eventually uke will end up in a position to sweep him. If you try to sweep him and not set him up, he will be able to counter.

This is true with Kote-gaeshi, Shiho nage etc.
If he counters in one direction, He gives you the other direction.

These 3 techniques (O Uchi Gari, Osoto Gari, Ko Uchi Gari) are really good ones to practice.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #28
Lachlan Kadick

Dojo: Oswego Aikido Club
United_States

I don't know about actually using your legs in training, besides for balance(and because of my prior Tae Kwon Do training, maybe blocking,) but in terms of defending against a kick, most of the basic Aikido movement can be applied. Since most kicks are projected just like a person might strike with their hand, the basic deflecting movement would be the same, and since most of the joints in the legs can be compared to the joints in the arms, several of the basic techniques as well can be used on a kick.

Think big, Live humbly.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #29
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Having done a lot of Judo I do like put in the occasional trip or low sweep / kick into an Aiki technique. Sometimes, they are just made for each other.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #30
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Jon Truho wrote:
Does Aikido have leg throws,trips&traps and if so are they applied standing or on your back?
as long as you move in the spirit of aiki ,that is using and redirecting the reactions (when pushed pull,when pulled push,when pushed turn ,when pulled enter ect.)riding resistance ,any technique is an aikido technique.if the intent was achieved by timing of and directing of force and not brute force it is an aikido technique.indeed mr. ueshiba can be seen puting men down with a simple over hand right (western boxing style).the reason they go down is timing not brute force.if you know how to knock out like roy jones you know it's a skill.if you see the forced rendition of a knock out you see that it was brute force .mr. ueshiba is quoted as saying ,''it's not that aikido has no kicks,it's just that it's too easy to be swept.the sweep then is considered of value by the aiki master ,and don't forget we can see mr.ueshiba throwing the knee(from seiza no less )
the reason the traditional kihon is standardized that way is that aside from being essential techniques they are also the easiest way for beginners to experience aiki and assimilate it into everything.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com