Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #51
Doka
Quote:
Luis Orozco wrote:
there would be no more bloody noses!
Really? I've been cut, bruised, beaten, had a concussion, broken and lost teeth, ended up in casulty/ER more than once... Oh, and had a fair few bloody noses!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:25 AM   #52
Luis Orozco
Dojo: Suomen Ki-Aikido Yhdistys, Helsinki
Finland
Quote:
Mark Dobro (Doka) wrote:
Really? I've been cut, bruised, beaten, had a concussion, broken and lost teeth, ended up in casulty/ER more than once... Oh, and had a fair few bloody noses!!!
Well, no bloody noses yet but nobody said that it would still hurt a lot!

First time my first teacher applied kotegaeshi on me (ending in submission) I didn't even know how I ended up like that and almost panicked . And well, on the odd time I've had to clean some blood stains from my fellow uke. All in a day's training.

But no ER yet.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:39 AM   #53
justinm
United Kingdom
I had been doing karate for a couple of years whilst at university, thanks mainly to a school friend who introduced it to me, plus watching Kung Fu (the first time around!).

Then I saw a flyer advertising an introductory meeting at the university to discuss setting up a university aikido club. I'd never heard of aikido before, but it sounded intersting. The instructor was 1st kyu, and ran a small club in the local town.

The meeting was in a small room, squeezed between the coffee bar and the tv room, where the weekly crowd had gathered to watch Hart to Hart - a series that had something of a cult following, and we just talked and asked questions for about an hour. There were around 15 people there, including one student from the town club.

4 of us went along to the first class. We were all new, the dojo was the table tennis room in the sports hall. We borrowed mats from the Judo club.

That night I walked home about 2 inches off the ground. I quit karate that week because I knew I was home.

That was 22 years ago. The university club is still going, under the same instructor.

Justin McCarthy
Old 04-05-2004, 07:12 AM   #54
Richard Chapman
Dojo: Gatwick Budokai Ryu, Crawley
I gave up playing Soccer/Football after 15 years, as the team side of things were starting to annoy me. I'm one of those people who has to be doing something. As my eldest boy (5 years) was interested in doing Karate, I went along with him and started the class, so that he wouldn't feel intimidated by the others there.

Karate wasn't for me, but it was for my kid. If I was to do a Martial Art, it had to be something that didn't involve alot of kicking, as over time the muscles in my legs have become quite tight due to the football etc. I'd seen Aikido on TV and felt that this was so different from the usual high kicking styles that I read up on it, and found it intriguing to say the least. Once I got started, and everyone at the dojo was friendly to me as a newcomer, I was glad I made this choice.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #55
cuguacuarana
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
I was taking time off from school to get my life straight, and do some wilderness courses. I had been thinking a lot about the martial arts for a couple of years, but had no idea which one I wanted to get into. I'de done Karate before, and wasn't exactly interested. I was also considering kung fu or tai chi. As my time off was nearing its end, I became more serious about the idea of getting into the martial arts. I picked up an aikido book (John Stevens' book, "the essence of aikido"). I was so intrigued that I signed up for an introductory twelve session course. I have been doing it ever since.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #56
ranZ

Dojo: Ki no Kenyukai/Jakarta
All of the stories above would make mine sounds like a lamer... however true it is... yes i admit it.. it was the... HAKAMA! hihihi.. I was browsing for a martial art to take during college. I'm somewhat inclined to martial art stuff since i was a kid. Maybe it's the silat movies my grans loved to watch or the fact that after watching Shogun i watched it again 3 times (not being a movie buff at all) because of the sheer amazement over the samurai characters. (not to mention Shogun is a mini series .. hahaha).

So i was checking out this martial art class, clueless of what it was, saw these men with black hakamas throwing ppl around. (maybe in my mind it was... cool outfit, just like the samurai, and i might even wear one one day.) My mind was set & didn't even bother to check out the Karate or Kempo class.

Although now i think i might make a better karateka but i love doing aikido very much & striving to learn it little by little.

Imho Viggo Mortensen should've played Last Samurai!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:47 AM   #57
Ian Rogers
Dojo: Shudokan Aikido Honbu Dojo, Nottingham
Reasons for starting Aikido

Dear All

Here's my two penn'th.

1) Two years ago the Tai Chi class I attended had closed down due to lack of students.

2) The nearest alternative (geographically) was an Aikido dojo 5 minutes walk from home.

3) I happened to be well into all things Japanese at the time.

I had no idea what was involved, but I visited the dojo, had a couple of free trial lessons and liked it a lot.

Then I got into a bit of a fret about whether I should do it or not - last minute nerves I suppose, before commiting myself to at least a year of Aikidokahood! (We have to sign up for at least a year at our dojo.)

So, I consulted the I Ching and it gave me the usual excellent advice ... and here I am still at it and loving every minute I'm on the mat!

Best wishes

Ian
Old 04-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #58
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
My dojo's web page had a section where instructors answered this question. Among the various praises of aikido as a peaceful and gentle art, there was one that said (paraphrase):

'In karate the instructor will say "And then you drive his nose back into his skull." But we can never actually practice this. In aikido we can practice with full force and commitment and really throw the other person across the room, and they'll get up and come back for more.'

Regrettably I never got to train with this sensei (he's now teaching at his own school) but when I get cocky with my sempai I will sometimes find them unexpectedly standing on my head or contorting me into a bow-knot, and they always explain that this is a trick they learned from him!

I appreciate the gentleness, but I also really like the fact that from day 1 we get in there and actually throw someone. Being able to throw someone much larger and stronger is a real trip. I also have fond memories of a big male sempai saying to me in disgust "You've turned into a stump, you aren't moving, how do you do that?" It was a revelation--bigger people pushing you around because they're bigger is *not* an unavoidable law of nature.

Mary Kaye
Old 04-26-2004, 10:19 PM   #59
robbsims
Dojo: Hakodate Aikido Dojo
Japan
Re: why did you start Aikido?

For myself it is the nature of the training.

I have tried Karate and Tae Kwon Do. I hated the standing in front of the mirror and doing Kata all lesson long.

So, i moved to Japan and was working monday thru saturday. I figured I should be doing some kind of MA so I went to the City Gymnasium. I asked what there was on Saturdays evenings or Sundays. All they had was Aikido and Kendo. So I started both.

So, i guess I started Aikido because it fit my schedule.

Robert Sims
Old 04-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #60
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

Wow, what great thread! Now I have to read allll the messages and then see about posting one of my own.

(I will say, if it's any reassurance, you're not the only one who thought "the hakama" was a cool enough reason to at least look into it... )

Heather
Old 04-27-2004, 11:17 AM   #61
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States
Thumbs down Re: why did you start Aikido?

Quote:
wendyrowe wrote:
All I know is that doing aikido taps into the same part of me that's always loved skipping down the driveway and swinging on the swingset and ballroom dancing. It's an amazing feeling to pour your entire self into one flowing movement with all your energy focused on it: euphoria.
Wow. What a *beautiful* description. I actually think I'm going to cry! You've summed up exactly what it's like when everything just WORKS. (Also, I love skipping, swinging, and dancing, too.)

Wow!

Heather
Old 04-27-2004, 11:44 AM   #62
Natasha Bradley
Dojo: Aikido School Leiden

I started because I found I had some time to spend on myself in the evenings and I wanted to do just that. Actually, I wanted to take up watercolours, but my husband kept pestering me to try Aikido. It appealed to my vanity, because its supposed to keep you supple (martial arts was not my cup of tea, until now...my parents don't recognise me any more). It was really good for reclaiming my body after it had belonged to babies for so long (about 3 or 4 years of pregnancy and breastfeeding).

Natasha.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #63
Troy

Dojo: Yellow Springs Aikido
United_States

I discovered Aikido after I started to study the art of the Samurai. A customer where I work told me that alot of the Samurai arts where in Aikido. So, naturally, i looked up Aikido whereever and whenever I could. At that point, I started to fall in love with the Philosophies and teachings of
O-Sensei. I understood everything he was trying to say. Then I had an opertunity to sit in on a class at Yellow Springs Aikido (www.ysaohio.com) and I was hooked. I sighned up that week.

"The Art of Peace is the religion that is not a religion; it perfects and completes all religions."
-Morihei Ueshiba
Old 05-27-2004, 04:37 PM   #64
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

I was interested in Aikido because I wanted to expand from the TKD I had been doing, and Aikido seemed to offer a good balance.

I started after visiting a Dojo to help demonstrate fencing techniques to the weapons class. After actually stepping foot inside the door, I figured it was a sign, and that I should actually make the decision to take class. I enrolled the next week and I am loving it
Old 05-30-2004, 11:56 PM   #65
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

For me, I wanted something to do outside of the work place. My workmate was practicing aikido. He said I could come along if I like. I had done some Kung Fu in the past so wasn't new to martial arts and thought it would be cool.
I was impressed by the humble nature of my workmate as well, while we spoke about aikido he never mentioned much about where he was at in the art, he simply said "I practice aikido".
Imagine my surprise when I turn up for my first session and my workmate puts on his hakama and black belt! If aikido can produce such a humble, calm person as my workmate, then it was a martial art for me.
Self defence is merely a side product for me in this art, it is the philosophy that really pulls me in and keeps me there.

Last edited by Amassus : 05-30-2004 at 11:58 PM.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 05-31-2004, 12:38 AM   #66
Duval Culpepper
Dojo: NY Aikikai

Steven Seagal movies and exercise.

Also, how logical all the moves and techniques are. Aikido seems so natural, as if human beings were all born with it inside of us. Hard to explain, but Aikido seems like a law of nature that O Sensei brought to us. Like Prometheus and fire.

If that makes sense.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:30 PM   #67
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

Back in 1979 a friend of mine told me about Aikido. He used sankyo on a drunk to retrieve his sweater. It impressed me there was a way to stop a conflict without violence. I sort of forgot about it until about a year ago, even though I used to live in San Rafael, Calif. (arrrgh another missed opportunity). After my divorce I thought I'd give it a try.
I didn't know there was an Aikido-shaped hole in my life.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #68
gilsinnj

Dojo: Aikido Mt. Airy
United_States

While I was in college, a group of friends decided to try it when they started a club at my school. A few of us had done Karate before, and knew that wasn't what we wanted and Aikido sounded interesting.

I stopped for a while after college, and started back up again after another friend of mine told me about a new dojo in the area. This time, I mostly started back up because I was getting a little larger than I wanted around the middle , and knew that Aikido really was a good work-out.

Only after I really got into practicing and learning did I find that I also really enjoyed the internal side of Aikido as well as the physical. That's what keeps me going now.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!