Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-28-2004, 12:36 AM   #26
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
Re: low kick, what to do?

Yeah a low kick/sweep will be harder to spot if they know what they're doing, but the angle of their leg means that the range is shorter than a normal kick, more like the range of a punch.
So the angles of attck will tend to be like a shomen tsuki or yokomen uchi with similar ma-ai.
How do you blend with them?

Beyond that, it's up to you which responses you make, but if they're on 1 leg their balance will be weakened.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:18 AM   #27
Hagen Seibert
Dojo: TendoRyu

Together with a friend who is 4. Dan JuJutsu we found this nice technique:
If heīs coming with the right leg for the low kick you enter, stepping forewars to his front side, left hand pushing toward his face. Itīs important to take a good step forward ant enter into a quite low stance. If you could comfortably hit his groin, thatīs fine. Then you use you right hand not for hitting, but to take his left leg away.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:23 AM   #28
Falafel

United_States

I want to say from the beginning that I've only been doing Aikido for a few months so I guess you should take this from the source. Also, I have a very poor grasp of the Japanese terminology, so I'm just going to say this in plain English.

A while back my Sensei was physically pondering this same issue with some higher dan ranks. (The rest of the class was practicing a different technique, but I couldn't resist taking a minute to watch.) I'm pretty sure this technique could work pretty well against most kicks.

1) He broke uke's ki by punching the inner thigh of the kicking leg. This would work against almost any kick, as opposed to an elbow which would be hard to get low enough for a low kick.

2) Sensei threw uke however he felt. He tried different combinations but I seem to recall that the most practical was to sweep around to uke's rear and do a simple throw from uke's shoulders.

Again, please pardon my poor vocabulary but I think you will get the idea.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 AM   #29
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States

Matthew,

You sound like a really nice guy, so please don't take this the wrong way...

Watch a full-contact match that allows leg kicks. You won't see anyone reaching down to low kicks with their hands. Well, they *might* until the other guy hook takes advantage of their hands being down and punches their lights out.

One of the many strategic benefits of leg kicks is that they *hurt* and weaken and eventually get the other guy to drop their hands thus opening their head for punches.

Don't take my word for it. Go out on the web and research what the competitive guys are doing. They have the very best of motivations to search out what works.

FWIW,

Greg Jennings

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.