Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-05-2004, 09:21 PM   #26
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Which Dogi?

Quote:
Nick P. wrote:
Y'know, it's funny; when standing, the patches are just where they should be, covering my knees perfectly.
Drop to seiza, and the whole patch rides up so that it is covering the lower half of my thigh nicely, and the bottom 1/4 of the patch just covers my knee, and the seem lines up perfectly with where I pivot.
This is true of all the gi pants I ever bought.
What I did (back when I did suwariwaza) was customize my gi pants by first using pins to identify a big rectangle where I *actually* landed on my knees and where I pivoted on them. Then I cut out and sewed a couple of layers of pellon fleece (an interfacing available at fabric stores) to a layer of plain cotton, like a big thick patch--ended up being like 9" by 10"--and machine quilting the whole thing to the inside of each pants leg.
No more bruised knees, no more worn knees, and it felt like pivoting on potholders--very cool!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #27
Marshall Sandoz

After spending many hours searching and reading on the internet I have decided to give HSU a try. I have one of their double weave judo suits on the way. Thanks to all who posted their thoughts on the subject.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #28
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States

Be sure to give us a review when you get it.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:40 PM   #29
Marshall Sandoz

I just got my new HSU double weave dogi today. It's considerably heavier than what I'm used to, but it's a very well made and downright gorgeous. The lapel is kinda stiff but the rest of it is as soft as a baby blanket right out of the package. The pants are reinforced from the knee to the bottom hem. I ordered it one size larger so that I could shrink it to fit and after a couple of washings it fits beautifully. Mr. Hsu was an absolute pleasure to deal with and I can tell that this dogi is going to last a long, long time.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:09 PM   #30
Chris Birke

Judo lapels are supposed to be stiff, so one can't grab them easily.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #31
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Good to know; thanks for updating, Marshall.

Old 05-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #32
DanD

Quote:
Marshall Sandoz wrote:
I just got my new HSU double weave dogi today. It's considerably heavier than what I'm used to.
Marshall,

To what do you compare your double weave? curious to relate it to something I might know...it's really hard to "feel" a gi over the internet

Thank you
Old 05-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #33
Marshall Sandoz

My first gi was a single weave made by Century. My sensei at the time ordered them for us so I have no idea which model it was and the tags have long since faded. I can tell you that the HSU is significantly heavier than the Century, and the quality is much better. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #34
Jesse Zinn
Dojo: looking...
United_States

Quote:
paul watt wrote:
Howard Combat Kimono (HCK) pants are double thick from mid-thigh to ankle. They may also be purchased separately.

Regards,

Paul
Paul,
Alright, stupid question here: what's the deal with those HCK/Howard Combat patches? Are they permanent and sewn right into the gi itself? Or, are they removable?

There have been two HCK gi's on eBay recently, and the photos for both showed the gi's had those bold patches on them. (I sent the seller an email about the patches question, but I've not heard back from him)

Do you happen to have the unbleached gi, or the white one? The link for the gi pant (separates), which does state that they have doubled knees, offers only white or blue? Do you happen to know if their unbleached gi pants have doubled knees?

Thanks for your time,
Jesse
Old 05-26-2004, 11:02 PM   #35
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Chuck Conte wrote:
Does anyone have a Gi from Tozando? Curious about the quality of their products.

Tozando Gi's are the best! All of their products are the best. The Gi's are very soft and very durable. You'll pay alittle more, plus shipping fees, but it is well worth it.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #36
Jesse Zinn
Dojo: looking...
United_States

Quote:
Jesse Zinn wrote:
Paul,
Alright, stupid question here: what's the deal with those HCK/Howard Combat patches? Are they permanent and sewn right into the gi itself? Or, are they removable?

There have been two HCK gi's on eBay recently, and the photos for both showed the gi's had those bold patches on them. (I sent the seller an email about the patches question, but I've not heard back from him)

Do you happen to have the unbleached gi, or the white one? The link for the gi pant (separates), which does state that they have doubled knees, offers only white or blue? Do you happen to know if their unbleached gi pants have doubled knees?

Thanks for your time,
Jesse
Hi all,
I received the following from Howard Liu of Howard Combat Kimonos today,

Hi Jesse:
The pants do not come with patches. All pants, from the unbleached, the white, and blue are made of 7 X 7 denim twill, and have full padding from the top of the thigh to the end of the cuffs. The patches on the pants shown on the website is just for display purposes only. Patches are sold separately for $10/set of 2.
Sincerely,
Howard Liu
HOWARD COMBAT KIMONOS

just fyi...
Jesse

Jesse David Zinn
Durham, North Carolina (USA)

Please visit our sponsor:

Mugendo Budogu - Official Aikikai Hakama now available!