Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
TexV2
Dojo: Aikido Of Petaluma
United_States
Searching For Balance.

Hello all. My name is Marc Terrell and I hail from Northern California. I'd like to give a brief summary of my background. I began training in traditional Kenpo when I was a wee lad. I switched to American Kenpo in my early teens. I was privileged enough to train with some of the most distinguished Kenpoists in the world. During this time I was encouraged to explore other martial arts in an effort to broaden my understanding of Kenpo. I immediately contacted a friend of mine who trained with George Leonard and set up a loose schedule of practices. I found that Aikido techniques blended so well with Kenpo that it was frightening. We did this, off and on, for three years (give or take). I watched my friend grow in the art. As I became more aggressive and cocky, he became more centered and humble. Yet his abilities bordered on mystical to me. Though the two arts complement each other like bread and butter they are, in many ways, on opposite ends of the spectrum. There goes that whole "yin yang" thing I keep hearing so much about again! But Aikido has never ceased to be a source of inspiration and awe.

Long story short....My kenpo training came to an abrupt halt. My priorities shifted to drugs, alcohol and bar fights. Relationships were ruined, doors were shut. I became a stereotype and a royal @$$hole. Four years ago I made a decision to sober up and straighten out. (Jail will do that to ya) Since then I have remained true to my promise. I am 27 years old, a husband and a father. I have my priorities in check. Though I have tried to regain lost principles, the best I could on my own, there was something missing.

I was dwelling on this emptiness I was feeling and spotted a book on my shelf: "The Secrets of Aikido" by John Stevens. As I sat there flipping through pages a bell went off. The next day, for the first time in the better part of a decade, I walked into a Dojo. I observed the class for the full hour and a half. I think I have found what I'm looking for.

If the Aikido world will accept me with a clean slate I come humble, eager and hungry. Looking forward to the journey.

Love and Respect to all Aikidoka

Marc "TEX" Terrell
Old 05-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
Re: Searching For Balance.

Marc,

Read your post again.....you said there goes the Yin/Yang thing...I think you have found it. Fortunately for you and your family, you came out on the good side. Congratulations.

I think you will find most Aikidoka will not dwell on your past. They will instead look toward their next practice session with you. Finding a person that is, first, honest with her/him-self is a wonderful aikido partner. The honest aikido partner is normally not on the mat with an agenda. She/he is there to learn and better themself. And also there to help those willing to learn and try.

Once on the path of Aikido, you will find most that also travel that path will be a willing friend and a good source of strength and support.

Good luck
Old 05-26-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Jordan Steele

You have lived a lot of life by 27 which isn't such a bad thing you know. I am believer that you can only truly understand anything once you have experienced it. You have seen both sides of life, chosen the better side and there is nothing more to be said. You can't live in the past, you definitley can't live in the future, all you have to worry about is the present. Aikido is a very accepting community and has a lot to offer to an individual. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Falafel

United_States

Marc,

I agree that most Aikidoka will not dwell on the past and I want to say that you too should not focus in that direction. Coming out of such a humbling experience can lead a person to beat up on themself.

Just remember to keep your eyes on the horizon, your feet well planted, and your ki flowing forward.

Congratulations and good luck on your journey.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Others won't know your past unless you tell them. Some of us have worse past then you and people still welcome training with us. Let your past go and others will to. It will help yourself, your family, your recovery, and your training.

And if you get down her to So Cal, I will personally welcome you by throwing you around a bit and vice versa.

Now, quit whining about your past and get on the mat. ;-)

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
TexV2
United_States

Good lord did I really come off as that much of a whiner?

In truth I am very comfortable with my past. It has shaped who I am now and who I shall become. I wouldn't change a thing. I am grateful that I have decided to swallow my pride and get back on the mat. Oh...Lynn I'm down south quite a bit. I'd be honored to get tossed around a bit.

Take care
Tex
Old 05-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Talking Re: Searching For Balance.

I understand where you came from. It is good to accept the past. To change the past is to change who we are. Accept the energy of your past and redirect it to the future. You have a lot of experience others can learn from. Congrats on your journey thus far. I'll see you at the top of the mountain and then we can compare notes of each of our journeys. The beer tab is on me!

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 05-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

I did not think you were whining at all.....and if you were....Lynn would smack you around a bit and give you a real reason for whining!!!!

Happy day!!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
TexV2
United_States

Fair Enough! :P

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!