Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope
gatorade is making me fat

i get REALLY REALLY thirtsy after practicing once the weather gets warm. so i drink gatorade. if i drink water right after a class i feel like im gonna barf. between classes i dont even dare.

anyway, i think all the gatorade is starting to make me rather plump around the middle.

i understand how important it is to stay hydrated in hot weather (today was crazy hot here in brooklyn). but i dont want to get fat becuase of it. any suggestions?

peace

evan
Old 05-22-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Chris Birke
Re: gatorade is making me fat

Respectfully, I don't think its the gatorade ;D. Unless you made some other drastic change to your diet or lifestile, it's likely more the cause of age, or some other internal change to your hormones.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata

add a teaspoon of salt to a litre of water. that might do the trick. and stay off that sugar!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I think Gatorade has a lot of sugar in it. Water is your best bet. Add some lemon or lime to it.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
aubrey bannah
Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane

I second John Riggs, water & half a lemon squeezed into it. If you want some honey too.

Such powers I poccess for working in the political field have been derived from the spiritual field. Mahatma Gandhi.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

A 22 oz beer after class helps me feel a lot better.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 05-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #7
gasman

and a little dizzy too!!
Old 05-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
Erik

Quote:
evan sobel wrote:
anyway, i think all the gatorade is starting to make me rather plump around the middle.
Gatorade has 50 calories per 8 ounces. The smaller bottles have 20 ounces or 125 calories. If nothing else changes when you add 125 calories 150 times per year (assuming 3 classes per week) that will total just over 18,000 calories which means you will gain just over 5 pounds in one year assuming all other things remain equal. So yes it can do it.

That being said I doubt it's the gatorade which is doing it. What is likely happening is that you are working out, drinking gatorade and eating more. I find that if I'm not careful, with any activity lasting more than an hour, I tend to eat back the calorie burn and more. Since most aikido classes last at least an hour..... Also, some classes can be less physical than others and the tendency is to eat the same regardless of how strenuous the class was.

If you really want to find out what is doing it you need to find out how much you eat and how many calories you burn in a day. The former is easy and the latter is something you can estimate within reason.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #9
pointy

i guess i was joking about the gatorade's effect on my gut. i was more looking to start a discussion on what different people like to drink after working out. (the lemon water idea is nice, im actually gonna try that tonite)

Old 05-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #10
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Potassium. When you get dehydrated, your body looses the salts it uses to hold moisture in. Potassium is a major factor in this.

Check with your local health food store or talk to a pharmacist for some suggestions on just which product to take in addition to water.

As far as feeling sick or like your gonna "barf", you may be drinking too much too fast.

Sip your liquids!!

Seriously though, don't try to drink a lot after working out. Sip some, take a break. During a serious workout, I'll have one mouthful of water... swallow it slowly. Walk around a second and talk to people and then one more round of water. Too much will definitly reverse gears on you... I don't care if its gatorade, water or what.

Hang in there! Stick with the water!!

Last edited by John Boswell : 05-24-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

I dont think you were kidding about the gatorade making you fat..You just think it was stupid to think that gatorade was making you fat..But you are absolutey correct..Gatorade is full of carbs,But not good carbs..Gatorade is good for people that are alresdy in shape and need hydration before playing a sport or running,etc..However if you drink gatorade after your workout your putting carbs in your body that will turn into fat in not used.If i drank gatorade in the evening most likely the sugar and carb content you see in the back will turn into fat if unused..Not just gatorade but and juice..Try drinking you fruit juice for breakfast and the rest of the day just water...Your probably used to drinking soda and juice just like i was..But really after a while a cold glass of water will start becoming more and more refreshing if you stick to it .Give it two weeks with a water diet and then drink gatorade ..I guarantee you the gatorade will start tasting like sugar water....GOOD LUCK
Old 05-24-2004, 08:30 PM   #12
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I tend to have better luck with room temperature water rather than cold water.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-24-2004, 11:22 PM   #13
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
I tend to have better luck with room temperature water rather than cold water.

Bronson
ewwwwww! MUST .... HAVE.... DIET -COKE mmmmmm diet-coke, slobberring noises.....

But, that's just an addict speaking.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 05-25-2004, 02:01 AM   #14
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Yeah, I spanked the caffeine monkey a couple of years back. I had the shakes and headaches for most of a week

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-25-2004, 02:07 AM   #15
pointy

Quote:
Tony Sapa wrote:
I dont think you were kidding about the gatorade making you fat..You just think it was stupid to think that gatorade was making you fat..
you have a rare talent, being able to read minds. can you tell what im thinking NOW?

i dont think it was a stupid assertion at all. it's like drinking candy. salty potassium candy. around here, we're done at our dojo around 9 each night. if i sat around and ate 2 or 3 candy bars after working out i would probably get fat. seems pretty obvious.

not that i did anything about it tonight. i went straight for a 32oz gatorade after class. i think i have to go cold turkey.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:43 AM   #16
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

A couple of years ago, I ran across a link to a chinese medicine/sports medicine site (I may have even seen it here).
They suggested putting Rescue Remedy (5 drops), 30C Arnica Montana, and 30C Ruta Graveolens in your drinking water while working out. I also added Silicea (for repeated sprains), and have found that it works great!
Boiron is producing a new homepathic tablet called Sportenine that I've also started using since the weather got hot, and it's also helping a lot to make me feel better on the mat, as we train in a room with pretty poor ventilation that gets hot as the dickens in summer.

-jon

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #17
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
Sigurd Rage wrote:
add a teaspoon of salt to a litre of water.
? Is it permissible to mix standard and metric measures like that?
Can't that cause the implosion of the entire universe?

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #18
gasman

Depends if its an american teaspoon or a norwegian one, I suppose.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #19
Erik

Quote:
evan sobel wrote:
i dont think it was a stupid assertion at all. it's like drinking candy. salty potassium candy. around here, we're done at our dojo around 9 each night. if i sat around and ate 2 or 3 candy bars after working out i would probably get fat. seems pretty obvious.
Gatorade, if that is what you are talking about, is pretty far removed from a candy bar. A 32 oz gatorade has 200 calories which is less than a typical, smallish even, candy bar.

Just for the record, you could eat nothing but candy bars and never get fat. It's not the type of food, carbs, or anything else by itself that makes you fat. It's the amount of it that you eat relative to your metabolism and the calories you burn through activities. If you sat down and ate 10 apples after class you'll most likely gain more weight than you would eating two candy bars after a class.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #20
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

thanks for recognizing my powers...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!