Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Jordan Steele
Confused...

I have been practicing Aikido for quite some time now along with various other martial arts and have learned many great and fun techniques, but only a few of them work outside of the dojo. I am not a fighter by the way. I'm referring to friendly sparring with friends every now and then. I finally came up with the correct question. In Aikido, are we learning techniques or are we actually learning to move? When my friends and I go at it, I can easily avoid anything they send my way, but I cannot perform a throw with any grace. If I decide to just throw him, it usually resembles a strong leg sweep or a powerful hip throw. Also, I have noticed that Aikido is just as effective offensively as it is defensively. It's more sneaky though. Just move towards your opponent and flash a hand across his face to spark a reaction and ikkyo is always there. Your thoughts? Last thing, as a practitioner or Karate and Wing Chun, don't underestimate any type of kick. A well trained person will land a round house kick to your temple before your brain even sends a signal to your muscles.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Re: Confused...

It sounds awfully like you're trying to force a specific throw instead of blending with the other guy's movement and letting the ending choose itself.
It also sounds like you're not doing any jiyu-waza (adaptive throw drills) in your dojo.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Punching someone in the face is good. If they have bad reactions then you hit them, if they have good reactions then they throw a hand/arm up to block, giving you your ikkyo you mentioned. I think we learn to move, evasion and timing are everything, anything else you get is a bonus.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

Hmmmm....I think you're trying too hard. You're trying to execute a certain technique. I know, I used to do the same thing. The technique should come out on it's own, more like a reflex. Just keep training, Uke will "tell" you what technique to use. Granted some techniques work better on some people, some attacks, better then some. Given your background, it sound like your trying to 'Make it happen', just 'let it happen'. That's Aikido!

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 05-12-2004, 08:55 AM   #5
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

I believe you're learning to react. You're never going to get the set up you would in dojo (obviously). But you do get access to basic techinques... In the example you talked atemi and then take the atempted block into Ikkyo. I see the practice in the dojo as a more learning of priniciples more than techinque. You learn how to move, you learn the feel of the techinque, and you the proper set up for the techinque this trains to react, if you feel/see/hear/ this than do this. If the arm goes up to block take Ikkyo. If the guy is bull charging you trying to tackle you take Keiten Nage....

Just a newbies thoughts that haven't been tested outside the dojo

Last edited by Robert Jackson : 05-12-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

In a fight ill leave aikido well alone, atemi works just fine for me.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

That being the point, atemi is a nice slice of aikido.... at least to us here locally. *shrug
Nice when a techique forms though.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:42 AM   #8
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

The funny thing about Aikido is its not just about techniques its about your spirit and a matter of if your right or wrong in a situation.For example if I spar with a friend theres a chance my aikido wont work much either because they know me,they know i practice aikido,and there ready for me to apply aikido on them witch makes it diffucult.However what drew me to aikido is its a true martial art in a way that its spiritual and a way of life.In a real life situtation,If your heavily scolded you should address the scolder and let him or her know youve been insulted.You should then know if your opponent is aggressive after youve corrected them.And if your right in a situation you should be calm hence AIKIDO..your opponent however is wrong but not used to being corrected or having someone talk back to them.So they become in a rage because they think they could step on peoples toes and disrespect people without regular foes like ourselves stepping up the plate.At this point we have won already because we should still be calm because we were correct on the situation and we are right and they are wrong.They are living life thru a wrong pathway so when someone steps up they show aggresion,rage,they become hostile and they attack.At this point we should be able to see this energy,and see the attack with constant practice.Our calm selves should see this energy build up and laugh because we are right,calm and ready to turn this persons energy against them.So the point im trying to adress is Aikido is a way of life thru harmonious way of living.We use energy against the aggressors will.So bigger the energy against us witch is one with god and the world would be inevitable to defeat.More energy against aikidoka easier the aikido...
Old 05-15-2004, 12:40 AM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

THREAD HIJACK BEGIN--->

Hey Tony, another Seidokanian on the forums! We're taking over

I think I'm the only regular poster from our org. Ross Robertson Sensei from Texas writes monthly articles and there's another student from our dojo who posts occasionaly. Richard Harnack Sensei from Missouri used to post but I haven't seen anything from him in a while.

Welcome and don't be surprised if no one here has any idea what we're talking about

Bronson

p.s. Feel free to PM me.

<---THREAD HIJACK END

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.