Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-28-2001, 06:14 AM   #26
Jim23
[quote]DiNalt wrote:
Quote:
I'm not aware of your full name, Jim, because you don't sign your posts with it.
Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 02-28-2001, 08:01 AM   #27
NYFE Man
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
Wink What's in a name?

Quote:
DiNalt wrote:

Quote:
I'm not aware of your full name, Jim, because you don't sign your posts with it.

Jim23
Jim23? Gim23? I'm just getting confused now!

Al Foote III
Old 02-28-2001, 08:07 AM   #28
Jim23
Re: What's in a name?

Quote:
NYFE Man wrote:

Jim23? Gim23? I'm just getting confused now!

Good point!

Gimmy23

Old 02-28-2001, 08:07 AM   #29
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I was really interested to hear what O'Sensei had said about his own aikido, Ted and Nick. One thing I would like to ask Ted (or anyone else that knows);

I've heard that Ueshiba actually disliked the use of weapons in the dojo (esp. later on in his life) and said that it wasn't aikido; actually reprimanding someone for bringing a bokken (I think) into the 'class'. Ted, you said that Saito noted much of Ueshibas stuff down in an objective way. However, Saito is well known for his weapon work (probably through his 'advanced aikido' range of books). Also, Ueshiba's uchidechi went off for weekends etc and did a lot of weapon work.

Did Ueshiba feel weapon work was a part of aikido, or did he not? Or did he just not want to train his non uchideschi students in weapon work (was he worried that someone he didn't know or trust would be learning it?).

Any views?

Ian
Old 02-28-2001, 08:25 AM   #30
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
ian wrote:
Did Ueshiba feel weapon work was a part of aikido, or did he not? Or did he just not want to train his non uchideschi students in weapon work (was he worried that someone he didn't know or trust would be learning it?).

I have read that Saito Sensei was the only person ALLOWED to teach weapons by O Sensei, apart from his good self.

I have heard (and it may be completely incorrect) that in Japan you go to one place to learn your (non-weapon) aikido and another to learn your weapons. (Perhaps this only happens in some places?)

I'd imagine he was just fairly particular about teaching weapons. Perhaps he was concerned that a student taught badly or not enough in Aikiken or Aikijo would be badly shown up by kendoka, Iaidoka, Jodoka etc. and acquire a bad reputation for his O Senseis Budo?
andrew
Old 02-28-2001, 10:47 AM   #31
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Cheers. That seems to make sense. Maybe Ueshiba thought Aikido wouldn't spread as rapidly as it did (or even as far), and therefore Saito would have the chance to go around the world teaching everyone weapons work for Aikido. (Looking at Chiba's weapon work I would say he hasn't done too badly off himself).

Ian
Old 02-28-2001, 02:06 PM   #32
DiNalt
[quote]Jim23 wrote:
Quote:
DiNalt wrote:
Quote:
Jim23
I can just imagine a cop pulling you over, asking for your driver's license, and then going "In all of my godforsaken career... what the HELL is that ? Your last name is '23' ?!"
Old 02-28-2001, 04:21 PM   #33
Jim23
Quote:
DiNalt wrote:

I can just imagine a cop pulling you over, asking for your driver's license, and then going "In all of my godforsaken career... what the HELL is that ? Your last name is '23' ?!"
OK, it's actually James Twentythree , but we're all friends here.

Jim23

Old 02-28-2001, 06:28 PM   #34
Mike Collins
United_States
There is a thread here, which is interesting, and to which I'd like to add my opinion:

Aikido, and the whole world will be different. If I train well, and develop my Aikido, it will seem to be better. If I train less well, and devolve, it will seem worse, and I'll be looking back on the "good old days". There are some pretty tremendous younger teachers who will probably just get better. The good old days weren't all that good, and tommorrow aint as bad as it seems (to quote Billy Joel).

There is also a sub thread which is one of the most stupid and inane things I've read in a long time. I'm proud of ya fellas.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:39 PM   #35
DiNalt
Quote:
Mikey wrote:
There is a thread here, which is interesting, and to which I'd like to add my opinion:

Aikido, and the whole world will be different. If I train well, and develop my Aikido, it will seem to be better. If I train less well, and devolve, it will seem worse, and I'll be looking back on the "good old days". There are some pretty tremendous younger teachers who will probably just get better. The good old days weren't all that good, and tommorrow aint as bad as it seems (to quote Billy Joel).

There is also a sub thread which is one of the most stupid and inane things I've read in a long time. I'm proud of ya fellas.
And you're helping everyone to forget about it by... ?
Old 02-28-2001, 07:52 PM   #36
Mike Collins
United_States
Sorry, I didnt realize it was my responsibility to help anyone forget anything.

I once read a teabag which said "A spoken word, once uttered, remains in the public domain for 9 years" The internet may be worse.
Old 02-28-2001, 10:00 PM   #37
DiNalt
Quote:
Mikey wrote:
Sorry, I didnt realize it was my responsibility to help anyone forget anything.

I once read a teabag which said "A spoken word, once uttered, remains in the public domain for 9 years" The internet may be worse.
I phrased it wrong.
What I meant to say was "And you're not exactly helping, either."

Nor am I, actually.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:50 AM   #38
BC
There's been some serious thread drift here, and I don't think the flaming is helping any...

Anyway. I think that ten years from now the aikido community will be reflective of some significant changes that are just now starting to arise today. One of the biggest will be how the art's leaders dealt with the transition from being an art taught and led by aikidoka one or two generations removed from its founder to individuals three or four generations removed. At the same time the art will most likely be even more international in its membership, and I think the leadership within the various aikido organizations will reflect that. I think that as others have pointed out, there could be more organizations formed as a result of fissures between today's existing ones. But at the same time, I think that there might be more collaboration and cooperation between these future organizations than what we see today. Essentially, new walls will be created and old walls will be brought down. This seems to be pretty consistent with other aspects of humanity. Also, many people have said that today aikido is one of the fastest growing martial arts in tems of increasing popularity, athough the number of people practicing it is still significantly smaller than that of judo, karate, TKD, etc. I think this accellerated growth will probably slow in ten years, but the number of people practicing could be on a parity with some of the more popular arts today.

For me, in ten years I hope that I will still be alive and practicing aikido, and that I will be able to utilize my aikido in more aspects of my life. Like dealing with my future-to-be teenage children.

Robert Cronin

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!