Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Big Dave
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Connecticut
United_States
Question Training in Japan

Hi All. Newbie here.I love this website and have spent hours lurking here. I have been training now for several months and am ,like many others, completely addicted to Aikido. Currently I am training five times a week - three group classes and two privates per week.
I am a high school history teacher and therefore have a two month vacation coming this summer. I would love to go to Japan to train during that time more intensively - to "live the life" so to speak. Can anyone suggest a specific program that would accept a live in student for two months during the summer? I have written emails to several dojos and they have not replied. Sometimes the info that is found on the web is outdated. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
dave
Old 03-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
two months might be pushing it a bit. Also, don't forget that Japan is an extremely expensive country and difficult to get around in if you don't speak or read the language.

As far as programs go, is your dojo affiliated with a larger organization like aikikai or yoshinkan? Our dojo occasionally does exchanges with a new york dojo, so you might be able to do something similar if you talk to your sensei
Old 03-11-2004, 04:48 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi!

I'm planning a trip to japan myself next year - though I can hardly be away for more than three weeks. Partly due to the money-issue - partly since I'm gonna miss my kids too much... The essential part is that I can tack along with another fellow who has been to the dojo in question 4 or 5 times before.

I think it's essential that you got a contact, and I would really suggest that you 'work your way up' your organisation. Start out by talking it over with your sensei. If he/she has no contacts go to the next level above and ask for suggestions. Just mailing a dojo in japan with no prior intorduction or reference will hardly do the trick. It fear it might even reduce your chances of ever getting in contact with someone over there.

Asking within your organisation would also make it more likely that you find the right type of aikido. If you are doing aikikai there is allways the hombu dojo in Tokyo. You should be allowed to practice there and they have classes from early morning till late night. However you will have to find your own accomodation.

Good luck..

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
David,

I checked out the website for your dojo and cannot tell where your sensei studied aikido or with whom he is affiliated, but... given your close proximity to New York I would suggest going to train under Yamada Shihan at the New York Aikikai. He was a direct student of O'Sensei and no matter WHAT your affliation, I can not see learning from Yamada ever being a mistake.

Check out his website: www.nyaikikai.com/

Personally, I agree that going to Japan would absolutly rock as far as training goes. BUT... why go through the expense when Japan has already come to you?

Also, Satome Shihan is in Washington D.C. and is another outstanding instructor/direct student of the founder. http://www.asu.org/Saotome.html

Wish I were as close to these two as you are!

Good luck and keep training!

Old 03-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
itdoka
Also don't forget Kanai sensei who also studied under O'Sensei and teaches in Boston http://www.neaikikai.org
Old 03-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Training in Japan

Quote:
david peling (Big Dave) wrote:
Hi All. Newbie here.I love this website and have spent hours lurking here. I have been training now for several months and am ,like many others, completely addicted to Aikido. Currently I am training five times a week - three group classes and two privates per week.

I am a high school history teacher and therefore have a two month vacation coming this summer. I would love to go to Japan to train during that time more intensively - to "live the life" so to speak. Can anyone suggest a specific program that would accept a live in student for two months during the summer? I have written emails to several dojos and they have not replied. Sometimes the info that is found on the web is outdated. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

dave
Try Kobayashi Dojo at http://www.cup.com/kobayashi-dojo/english/index(en).htm . The English side doesn't have much on the live-in training program, but there's a page in Japanese that covers it. They tend to overwork their Japanese live-in students, but for foreigners it's not too bad. You can also live in the dojo very cheaply, but the accomodations are pretty bare-bones. There are other programs, but this is probably one of the easiest for an outsider with no personal connections to get entree into for a short period.

You could also just go to Aikikai (or some other) hombu and train 5 or 6 times a day, but you'd have to find your own accomodations.

Best,

Chris

Old 03-11-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Big Dave
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Connecticut
United_States
Thanks everyone for your help. As a result of this post, I have been contacted directly by a Dojo in Tokyo which I hope will work out.

Thanks again,

David
Old 03-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #8
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
Great! let us know how it works out. (I have some time off after my contract ends, so if there is a short term program, I'd love to hear about it)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!