Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-02-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
cuguacuarana
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
traveling

I was just wondering. I am a beginner (about two months experience), and have two and a half more years of college. I am from Colorado and go to school in Vermont. On top of that, I have a girlfriend who lives in Oregon, where I have committed to living over the next summer. All of my training has so far been in Colorado. I have also found a dojo here in Vermont where will be able to train for the duration of my time at college. My question is what to do with my breaks (3 months summer, 2 months winter) when I will most likely not be in Vermont. how is it looked upon to sign up at a dojo for only two or three months at a time?

Thanks
Austin
Old 03-03-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Tom Wolowiec
Dojo: none yet
Should be fine. I'd worry if they wanted a contract with you, actually.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."
Old 03-04-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
I studied at a different dojo for one month while mine was closed; I asked the sensei in advance and she knew I couldn't stay, but this didn't seem to be a problem. (Except that I got fond of my fellow students and hated to leave them.) I think most dojo won't have a problem with this, though it's a good idea to ask.

You might want to make a particular effort to do short-term volunteer work for your dojo (cleaning, etc) since you won't be there to do long-term things (serving on committees, etc).

Mary Kaye
Old 03-04-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Currently we have a visitor from Finland practicing in our dojo. She's from a different style, and she is only here for 3 or 4 months, but we enjoy having her here, and she seems to like what we do. There ought to be no problems in your situation...

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 AM   #5
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Explain it to the Sensei when you visit the dojo first time, I would be surprised if they were not happy to let you train. You may also find a club in the same assocoiation as your main club, which may allow you count the training against your normal grading requirements (obviously need to discuss this with your main Sensei too).

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-04-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Hey Austin,

...Wow! ...what an awesome adventure you're about to have!!! ...I can tell you how I would look at it as an instructor & student ...I'm pretty darn envious!!! ...what a great situation to be in!!! ...enjoy this time my friend!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 03-04-2004, 11:06 AM   #7
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
I think it will be fine. When I went to El Paso last summer to visit my family, well, I couldn't go two weeks without Aikido! The horror! So I practiced several times at the dojo there............it was even in my organization (USAF-ER)! But if it wasn't, I would have gone anyway.

It was a lot of fun, I learned a lot, the people were great, and I look forward to training there again this summer!

Go for it!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 03-04-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
cuguacuarana
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
thank you all for your advice, I appreciate it a lot.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #9
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
From what i understand sensei's are usually don't mind temporary stays (Almost all dojos could use the extra cash, even if only a few weeks). Just talk with the sensei, let them know a little bit about the other style you do and let them understand that you just want to keep your skills up rather than loose them.

Every once in a while our dojo get's a temporary guy, it's often fun to train with soemone new.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 03-05-2004, 01:14 AM   #10
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
I felt I gained a lot from studying with another tradition for a bit. Humility, for one thing. In some ways it's worse than being a beginner because not only do you have to learn new things, you have to set aside some of what you already know.

There were parts of my own tradition that I'd never 'seen' because I didn't know anything else. People said Ki Society style was "bouncy" but what did that mean? Now I still bounce, but I've had a glimpse of what would be different if I slid instead.

Some people said that this would just be confusing to me as a beginner, but I figure beginners are confused anyway, and I don't think it did much harm. As plain aikido practice it was not as effective as being in my home dojo would have been--if nothing else, I ended up half-knowing a bunch of kata that won't stick with me--but I learned some things about my own style that I wouldn't have learned quickly from immersion. And some valuable personal lessons about pride and patience.

It's also nice to know that the verbal style of my home dojo is right for me -- without having experienced something else I wouldn't have known. I had a terrible time with watch-and-imitate; I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually but it made me appreciate what I've got. Someone else might well have the opposite experience.

Mary Kaye

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!