Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 PM   #26
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States
Please forgive me but what is wrong with the Dynamic Sphere Mr Rhease? i assume it's the book you do not approve of? well i am not defending it, just i have about 12 minutes a day to browse this site and post maybe between running a restaurant and a dojo and a family and such. i found the book to be helpful.

i think i like the Doshu's book too, Best Aikido, i read it the other day and found it fun. actually i have never found a book on any aikido or samurai subject that i did not like or at least appreciate. i don't rally have time to debate over any of this i just wanted to hear your side if possible.

thanks so much in advance.

in Aiki
Agatsu!!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #27
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Bill Ross (Williamross77) wrote:
Please forgive me but what is wrong with the Dynamic Sphere Mr Rhease? i assume it's the book you do not approve of? well i am not defending it, just i have about 12 minutes a day to browse this site and post maybe between running a restaurant and a dojo and a family and such. i found the book to be helpful.
The book had a thread all to itself a little while ago. Please go here for that. My opinion is given there.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-12-2004, 11:57 PM   #28
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States
thanks... i'll go

check it out.

in Aiki
Agatsu!!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:06 AM   #29
Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan
Re: Aikido Books

Quote:
Todd Roul (troul) wrote:
I am looking for some good books on Aikido that has good demonstrations.

Thanks
I bought one as a beginner, but was a bit disappointed... It only helped me in one thing: names, category and logic/organisation of the tecniques, which are a bit confusing at the start for a beginner because you train them "sparsely".

As curious as I am, since I practice in a small dojo and wanted to know the differences in training around the world, I tried videos but omg... leave them alone unless you can have a little view of them before buying.

Most of them are total crap (especially if made "on purpose" for teaching via video) compared to the real thing, even if performed by a 9th dan (I watched a demonstational video made by a guy named Saito, 9th dan, and I cannot believe my eyes for the sloppy/crappy stuff I was watching).

Videos with stages, real practice or cross-train material are a bit more interesting because they transmit a bit of the "real" thing.

Before someone starts a gigantic flame, I'm talking from a beginner and purely "view based" sensation when watching... in videos the perform is often too slow and blatantly coreographed to result attractive or interesting (I'm starting to understand why other MA trainees call us aikidokas "the uneffective dancers": they're probably looking at the videos, too, and not the real thing).

Maybe when I'll be a bit more skilled, I'll take a watch with a different look and may be able to appreciate the "unreal" thing, but for now on I think I will hear, watch and DO aikido in only one place: the mat.

Bye!

--
Old 02-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #30
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States
Re: Re: Aikido Books

Quote:
Dario Rosati wrote:
Most of them are total crap (especially if made "on purpose" for teaching via video) compared to the real thing, even if performed by a 9th dan (I watched a demonstational video made by a guy named Saito, 9th dan, and I cannot believe my eyes for the sloppy/crappy stuff I was watching).
I'm sure there will some reaction to this.

Mel
Old 02-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #31
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
MA Books in general...

Sidestepping the potential flamefest....

Just to give another perspective, although I have plenty of aikido books, I also value looking at books on non-aikido martial systems. I can learn aikido on the mat; it seems more interesting to me to look at other systems and check out the differences and similarities (so many and so striking, sometimes).

I particularly have enjoyed books on Daito-ryu, and wrestling. Am also itching to get my hands on some European sword manuals.

=wl
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 AM   #32
Dario Rosati
Re: Re: Re: Aikido Books

Quote:
Mel Barker wrote:
I'm sure there will some reaction to this.

Mel
Why? I don't know him, maybe mr. Saito is one of the best IN THE REAL THING given his rank, I don't doubt that... but he has to accept he fact that one of his videos look crappy, as many other videos from other sensei worldwide... I named him only because his video was one of the latest i've seen.

I think too many senseis produce too crappy/sluggish/unattractive "learning videos" and this is a bad thing, 1) for the sensei who does the video 2) for aikido in general.

Stage/real material is FAR better for learning purpose, IMHO, than most of "learning videos".

I hope it' a bit clearer now, no pun intended for mr. Saito on anyone in particular.

Bye!

--
Old 02-16-2004, 07:05 AM   #33
justinm
United Kingdom
My own experience is that demonstration videos by mid level, say 2nd-5th Dan, instructors are clearer than top instructors.

IMHO, this is because the more advanced practitioners have got it down to the minimun and no longer do the expansive, clear movements that a beginner needs to see - they get a bigger result in a small movement. So I find I usually learn more watching a 3rd Dan instructor than a 8th Dan instructor.

It seems to me that this 'basic form' peaks around 2nd - 3rd Dan, and after that the personal style of the individual starts to have a significant influence, resulting in a form less clear to a beginner.

For instance, I can watch videos of O Sensei and learn nothing that helps me at this point in time. The exception for me (because there has to be one) is the Yoshinkan teaching videos, where the basic form remains clear even at the top level.

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 02-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #34
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Aikido Books

Quote:
Dario Rosati wrote:
<snip> but he has to accept he fact that one of his videos look crappy, <snip>
He doesn't have to accept anything. He passed away March 13, 2002.

Greg Jennings
Old 02-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #35
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Eek! Way off topic

Quote:
Willy Lee (willy_lee) wrote:
...I particularly have enjoyed books on Daito-ryu, and wrestling. Am also itching to get my hands on some European sword manuals.

=wl
Have you checked out Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and Close-Quarter Combat? They're coming out with a paperback edition. Really neat! A reproduction of a classic manual by Talhoffer. It gives illustrations of different weapons and fighting techniques. Not just your Dad's foil and saber.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 02-17-2004, 02:37 AM   #36
Dario Rosati
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aikido Books

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
He doesn't have to accept anything. He passed away March 13, 2002.

--
Old 02-17-2004, 05:23 AM   #37
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aikido Books

Quote:
Dario Rosati wrote:
You mentioned that you, as a beginner, had bought a teaching video by M. Saito Sensei.

Do you train in an Iwama-style dojo?

Greg Jennings
Old 02-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #38
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Re: Way off topic

Quote:
Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
Really neat! A reproduction of a classic manual by Talhoffer. It gives illustrations of different weapons and fighting techniques. Not just your Dad's foil and saber.
Yes, that's one of the ones I've been thinking about getting ...

The paperback is good inasmuch as that means cheaper. Am also looking at Christian Tobler's book on Sigmund Ringeck (color photos in armor!).

Still haven't decided on which one to loose my credit card

=wl
Old 02-24-2004, 02:29 PM   #39
mantis
books I like:

"Total Aikido" by Gozo Shioda. a well designed reference book. beautifully done!

"aikido tradition and the competitive edge" F.Shishida, T.Nariyama. is one of the only tomiki aikido books available. great content and great overview of tomiki aikido.

"A Book of 12 Winds" Karl Geis, while not a demonstration book, is nonetheless a great aikido book.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #40
Dario Rosati
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aikido Books

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
You mentioned that you, as a beginner, had bought a teaching video by M. Saito Sensei.

Do you train in an Iwama-style dojo?
Uh no, I don't think so... never heard of it.

I only know that Iwama was the most famous dojo of O'sensei in the past.

I just choosed the video out of curiosity because it showed some "bo" techniques and Saito was 9th dan, but as said, the video disappointed me (like other videos from different masters) for some reasons (the first being the fact that half of the total time he's sitting on a chair reading on a book showing b/n still photos of 50 years ago).

Should I presume he was a "special" Sensei, since you're speaking of a different style?

The only different style I actually know is Yoshinkan but I was hardly able to spot differences, if any, when I looked at it (again, this is probably due to my "beginnerness").

If you are an adept of this style and Saito the style starter, I mourn your loss.

I intended to criticize a video, not generalizing to a Sensei nor to a style nor to his adepts.

Actually, I'm going to use my best ally (the browser) to find more info on this "Iwama" style.

Oh well, things are ever more complex of what you think, even in Aikido it seems

Bye!

--
Old 03-01-2004, 12:00 PM   #41
adwelly

Dojo: Guernsey Aikido Club
Richard Moon's books

Philosphy - but interesting. Also freely available online.

The Power of Extraordinary Listening (259K)

Life in 3 Easy Lessons (120K)

Ten to the Tenth (114K)

Healing With Ki (38K)

All available via http://aikidoofmarin.com/richardmoon.html

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!