Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
IP Hash: 8e1b2542
Anonymous User
sharing a dojo with another club

My dojo has been running in the same building for a few years now, it is a local community centre. We have our own mats and other equipment.

Last year I started attending sessions at another dojo, which later closed down. The sensei looked for another venue but couldn't find anything affordable.

He asked me recently if he could rent the same venue on a different day and use our mats. I have not replied to that yet, and I am wondering if anyone has an experience of sharing a venue with a different club. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thank you
Old 02-12-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
This thread has been moved from the Anonymous forum to the General forum.

Please note that the Anonymous forum is intended for "delicate" subject matters for which people have a need or want to keep their identities from being revealed. I encourage people to keep this in mind before starting a thread in the Anonymous forum.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Hello Anonymous,

This is something I have thought of before, but think it would be too hard to pull off. I'd love to join forces with a friend of mine who has a dojo, and try and make it better for both of us, but since we belong to different branches of the same organization, it is really impossible. I think it would be even more difficult if the two groups are completely different organizations. How on earth would you set this up? Seems like it would just open up a huge old can of worms.

One of the best solutions, if you can find it, is another martial art that uses mats, and share space with them. I would love to share space with a judo group or with jujitsu or someone else who needed mats; makes great economic sense, plus it brings more people in to the dojo period.

Good luck,
Old 02-12-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
Hanna B
I agree with Rachel, two aikido clubs in one place sound like problems. I know of two clubs in another art, where one moved into the other's dojo when they got 'homeless'. This style is very small and I suppose the people know each other well. In the long run, though, I guess that they will either merge the clubs or they will go separate ways.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
Dojo: Hallamshire, Sheffield
My dojo shares space both with our sister Aikido club (made up mainly of police officers) and also with a TKD club. It's never really caused major problems between the three clubs. In the week we train after the TKD club and they always get the mats out and treat them carefully and we tidy everything away after we've finished our session. The TKD club may be moving to another venue soon, though. It will be better for us because we'll be able to train earlier, but we'll also miss having someone set up the mats for us!! lol

Shodan, Shotokan karate & 6th kyu Aikido

"The brave do not live forever, but the timid do not live at all."
Old 02-14-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Unless there are very clear differences between the two clubs you are asking for trouble down the line especially if some group wants to expand.

PK vs Aikido ok

Judo vs Aikido ok

Shodokan Aikido vs Aikikai I would be wary.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!