Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-01-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
ikkitosennomusha
He is a topic I would like to see as a poll or a post. Do students feel they should be easy on sensei becuase he is "sensei" or do students feel they should throw sensei like everyone else?

Please, everyone respond! Thanks!

Brad Medling
Old 02-01-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
I feel we should throw sensei like everyone else.

That is.. If I could. Most of the time it feels like throwing a bundle of cloud.

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 02-02-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Spot on Maresa, I can only throw my sensei if they want me to throw them.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Brad Medling (ikkitosennomusha) wrote:
Do students feel they should be easy on sensei becuase he is "sensei" or do students feel they should throw sensei like everyone else?
Demonstration: If the teacher has called me up to demonstrate technique, I attack just as hard as ever, but I don't try to reverse him.

Training: If the teacher comes over to me and my partner wanting to work out with us--as opposed to making a teaching point--I take more liberties and feel free to exploit weak points in his defense.

Poor Guy/Woman: Relegated to handicapped training just because s/he has rank if folk are easy on them. What a loss of training opportunity!

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
Only if s/he is older/frailer/feebler, same as with anyone else

, can't find m s
Old 02-03-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Well, my current teacher is an 8th dan shihan, and you know what they say.

Shihans ... can't live without them, can't throw them.

Not that I don't try ...
Old 02-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Rachael

Dojo: Hallamshire, Sheffield
Well, I'd throw sensei like I throw everyone else, if I could!! Sensei will only be thrown if he darn well wants to be. Thankfully he's pretty easy going and usually goes along with most of what you're doing, especially the beginners & lower grades. I don't think that a student should 'go easy' on sensei just because he/she is the instructor. It's a bit unfair on them, really, because they want to have a good productive training session the same as the rest of the students.

Shodan, Shotokan karate & 6th kyu Aikido

"The brave do not live forever, but the timid do not live at all."
Old 02-13-2004, 03:16 PM   #8
SmilingNage
United_States
You should always attack your teacher with the intent of hitting and "cutting" thru them. Otherwise you arent giving them a honest attack. A strong, committed attack, will help both nage and uke out. It will supply all the energy that nage will need to throw uke. Giving a committed attack is just as good for uke as it teaches uke how to recover his center after the redirected attack.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
JessePasley
Dojo: none at the moment
China
Yes, I throw my sensei just like I would anyone else: like a ninja. Whether I camp out in front of his house in the shadows of night to await my chance to pounce in the morning, or performing oshi taoshi on him as he raises his glass of beer (sorry ladies, for spilling that beer on ya), its all the same, acting decisively with the spirit of a true samurai. So, if you are my teacher, or the cute girl that smiled at me today on the train (because, really, that means you like me, right?), BE EVER WATCHFUL.

(/insanity)
Old 02-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #10
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan
I've notice, when given the opportunity to use Sensie as my uki, that I need to throw him like I do the rest of the classes. When I do he tends to find, see, feel, or whatever other magical ability he has, an error in the techinque. If I don't do it fully just because he's the sensie I'm losing out on the opportunity to make my techinque that much better.... And like everyone else says it's robbing them of the training also.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com