Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Blush! Groin Pull

Howdy folks,

Any of you ever had a groin pull that prevented you from taking ukemi, or doing any physcial activity?

If so, I'm looking for recommendations on how to treat it, other than resting. Strangely enough, it is only left side hiyaku ukemi that hurts ... And badly! I know when and
where it happened, but not sure why.

Thanks ...
Old 01-05-2004, 01:42 AM   #2
Edward
Thailand
Had a severe one 2 years ago. Couldn't walk for one week, had to stop training for 3 months. The doctor prescriped pain killers and muscle relaxants, and rest of course. These injuries never seem to heal completely and will recur every now and then.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I have had a mild one, so I never saw a doctor. Just tried to adapt and not overdo my practice. However I think Edward is right that it never quite seems to go away. It's really a pain in well... the groin

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 01-05-2004, 06:46 AM   #4
Dyusan
Dojo: Shoshikan
Freaky! groin pull

Steven, I had a mild one years ago. Tried to train around it and it hurt. I finally rested for a month, no hard anything. It got better. Recently a friend of mine got one during his judo practice and it took 9 months to a year before he quit complaining. He trained softly for that period.

Gary Chase
Old 01-05-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
fullerfury
Dojo: North County Aikikai
United_States
Hi Steven. A member of the dojo had a very serious pull earlier this year, which kept him out of training for some time. He visited a therapist and the recommendation was to practice some particular stretches. The one I am most familiar with is:

Sitting on the floor, right leg stretched out. Cross left leg over right and twist body to left side looking behind you.

Do this for both sides.

This should help loosen up that area. Apparently this is a good exercise for preventative measures as well.

-Garrett
Old 01-05-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
jgrowney
Dojo: Rochester New York Aikido Club
I pulled a groin muscle a couple of years ago. Hurt like hell. Saw a Japanese (not Traditional Chinese) acupuncturist. Back to normal training within three weeks. No problems since. Also changed diet to increase healing time. I saw him twice a week for about a month.

Acupuncture and macrobiotic practice worked very well for me. As far as healing goes, they play right into one another very well.

Sincerely,

Jim

Jim Growney
Old 01-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Steven,

Groin pulls are really common in rodeo, particularly with bullriders. Generally they take time to heal, waaay too long. Within a short time you can probably start doing some mild exercise to stabilize and strengthen the groin muscles. If you have access to gym equipment, try the machines where you close your legs against resistance and open then against resistance - but don't force it! Very light, very easy, and very controlled. If a gym isn't available, you can improvise with leg lifts while lying on your side.

For me, the key has been to rest a few days and then start the exercises. As you start to heal, you can increase the repetitions and resistance. Just don't go beyond pain if you try the exercise route. Just far enough to know your crotch is still attached.

I haven't tried personally, but a friend basically did the same exercises in the swimming pool with good results.

Good luck with the healing process. Just go slow and be patient in order to get quick results.

Michael

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!