Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-19-2003, 10:32 AM   #26
Ted Marr
I prefer to think of it like generations, rather than like the Erdos number... but its the same concept... One of the benefits of Aikikai styles is that researching lineage is beyond simple. But if you study under one sensei (2nd generation), but he insists that his teacher does the testing, does that make you the same # as your teacher, or one generation later?

Not that it matters in the slightest. *grin*
Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 AM   #27
AsimHanif
I have a Yale education. Does that mean I am any smarter than anyone else? No. It could mean my family had connections, I filled a quota, or I was good enough to get in but just did average work.

It does let someone know though what I may have been exposed to. Only my performance will indicate if I took advantage of those resources.

BTW - I didn't really go to Yale.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:17 AM   #28
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Anyway, the Erdos number is a representation of how close you are to a paper published by Erdos. Mine is two, meaning that I published a paper with a guy who published a paper with him.
I grew up hearing a similar thing in budo. If you actually trained with someone for an apreciable amount of time you were considered to be "one arm's distance" from them. If your teacher that you spent considerable time with had done the same with XYZ teacher then you were two arm's distance from XYZ.

It seems a small thing to some, but I think it is an important measurement if the time spent at each arm's distance was quality time.

Safe and Joyful Holiday Season to All,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 12-19-2003, 11:24 AM   #29
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Damn, going to have to leave this one for a couple of weeks just when it was getting good, have a good Christmas and New Year everyone.

Last few shots, Asim you're now directly linking sensei lineage with a dojo (ok, so so did me and John), but lineage in terms of a teacher is surely tied to the person, not the dojo which does muddy the waters.

John, have you any experience of a teacher who has been 'displaced' from the main dojo and did it affect their aikido? (person-place question basically)

[insert badly translated smug admonishment here]
Old 12-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #30
AsimHanif
Ian - sorry if I gave that impression. Actually I'm not.

I feel that the linkage to the sensei is a reference to a particular style - not that you are good or bad at it ( in simplistic terms) - just that your are exposed to a particular teaching or method. The method may be great, the practitioner is another story.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:05 PM   #31
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Ian:

John, have you any experience of a teacher who has been 'displaced' from the main dojo and did it affect their aikido? (person-place question basically)

Not sure exactly what you meant by displaced. I have studied under instructors that left of their own accord (sided with Tohei), left Tohei and then came back to the hombu. I have also studied under splinter groups: Tohei left, student was under one of his students who split then Tohei pissed off student who split.

As to whether it affected their aikido basics-I just can say it is different. I think they modified it. Either consciously or unconsciously.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:33 PM   #32
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Quote:
C.E. Clark (Chuck Clark) wrote:
I grew up hearing a similar thing in budo. If you actually trained with someone for an apreciable amount of time you were considered to be "one arm's distance" from them. If your teacher that you spent considerable time with had done the same with XYZ teacher then you were two arm's distance from XYZ.

It seems a small thing to some, but I think it is an important measurement if the time spent at each arm's distance was quality time.

Safe and Joyful Holiday Season to All,
chuck,this defies the logic of every sensei that ever gave me a hug
Old 12-30-2003, 07:39 PM   #33
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Quote:
Jason DeLucia wrote:
chuck,this defies the logic of every sensei that ever gave me a hug
Mr. DeLucia,

I don't count hugs in my lineage, however, a couple of very well-known teachers in my lineage do give very good hugs. I treasure both the budo transmission and the hugs.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!