Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #26
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
That dude who watered the stick was a schmuck.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 12-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #27
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
My Experience

I was at a seminar once and got paired with a student who trained directly with the teacher who was conducting the seminar. We were doing simple tenkan exercises from katate tori. I gave this person my polite "visiting someone else's dojo" grab, nothing like what I would normally do. Despite this, the person was completely unable to move. Finally they looked at me and said "You're very resistant. Your energy body isn't very sensitive." O-ooo-K!

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 12-20-2003, 01:41 PM   #28
achilleus
Dojo: West End Aikikai
thanks everybody for giving me your thoughts regarding this matter. it really is in an effort to better understand what goes on out there.

and yes, Ian, i tend to be both sod and intimidating!

cheers!

DA
Old 12-20-2003, 01:44 PM   #29
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
The only good thing about getting a hakama is that none of this happens to me from a white belt anymore.

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 12-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #30
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: students teaching instructors

Quote:
David Achilleus (achilleus) wrote:
I would appreciate aikidoka experience and thoughts regarding this matter:

What is the proper response to a student attempting to teach an instructor?

Context - an instructor of a school takes a few students (one senior and one junior) to another school for a friendly day of practice. At practice all three find themselves being "taught down to" by the very junior students at the school they are visiting.

Because this is a "friendly" exchange - should the instructor just suck it up and take a lesson in "watering the stick"?

Should the junior be repremanded for such behaviour?

Is such beahviour even acceptable?

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and replies.

Thanks,

DA

Well, I think it depends on what the visiting instructor was doing.

I think this is a complex issue\at least it is from my perspective. So bear with me, while I give some background information.

My dojo in Hiroshima is unique, in the sense that it is one of the very few Aikikai dojos in Japan run entirely by non-Japanese. As such it is an object of some curiosity and we get quite a few visiting yudansha. Of course, they are Japanese and follow the unwritten rules for dojo visitors: follow the customs of the dojo.

We have a policy that all three instructors will be on the mat at the same time whenever possible, though, of course, only one will be actually doing the instructing. We change partners every technique and the instructors keep a close eye on who pairs up with whom.

If we encountered 'teaching down' by one my junior students, one of us would go over, make a threesome, and show both junior and visitor some points or other of the technique being shown.

Very occasionally, the visiting yudansha does not know the technique being shown\or usually the particular variaton or emphasis: our varied training backgrounds (Tada, Arikawa, Yamaguchi, Nishio) makes this possible. Our juniors usually have enough respect for the visitor's hakama to wait for guidance.

Best wishes for Chrsitmas and the New Year.

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-22-2003, 12:19 AM   #31
SmilingNage
United_States
Take it with a grain of salt and wait for the change partners clap.

The junior student's inability to convey the proper movement(if there was any in the 1st place) shouldnt unsettle you. If there is one thing that I can say I have learned is only I can control myself/center. The junior's actions shouldnt have any effect you.

Its best to let them shoot their mouth off; let their own words hang them or come back and bite them in the hind quarters. If they are really mouthy, give them the gentle "shuush" and put the old index finger on your lips as a reminder not to teach when they arent the instructor. Its kinda rude, for anyone to be talking on the mat;especially if they are being critical of their partner's technique. An observant intructor should be able to see the difficulties being had, and should be over to clarify proper tecnique. Plus you can always politely call the instructor over and have him/her show what he/she is teaching as well.

"Those who know,...know"

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!