Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-12-2003, 08:13 AM   #1
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Testing Tommorow

Hey everyone, hope your all doing fine.

Well, its that time of year already, Im testing for 5th kyu tommorrow. It seems as if its been a long time coming, as I was supposed to test back in june but for various reasons it was pushed back several times (giving me an escape route )well, no more, Its do or die time. To be honest I was very worried about this test, partly because I would be testing in front of the head of our organisation, Riley Sensei, whereas I did my 6th kyu at my own dojo in front of my 'regular' (theres no such thing ) sensei.
The main reason im worried though is that I care about aikido so much, usually when I do an exam im not really worried about passing or failing, because most exams i've done havent been important to me. I either passed or failed, meh, big deal, but because I really care about aikido and representing my sensei well I want to do my best.
Now however, as time has gradually gotten closer to the big day I have started to look more and more forward to it, it is my time to go out there and show what I have been taught.
I am so grateful to my sensei, Sean Cassidy Sensei for not only all the training and preparation he has given me for this grading but also for his friendship and belief in me, I could not have even considered standing in front of the grading panel without his support.
I am also grateful to Tenuer Sensei for starting me off down the path of aiki and for all of his and Sensei Seths efforts in teaching me as well as their friendship.
Many thanks to my sempai and indeed my kohai who have given just as much in my preparation for this test, Lu, Hannah, Chris, Stu, Tim, im lucky to train with such great people.
Lastly, thanks to everyone at aikiweb for all the disscussions and laughs, we have a great community here.

I dont know how I will do tommorrow, but I just had to get my thoughts out somehow, now im going to go train tonight, share a beer with the people mentioned above and tell them what I just told you guys. Sorry if it was long and thanks for reading.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Good luck Nick, just rember the golden rules, no breaking ukes, no swearing if it goes wrong and always buy all the testing comittee a beer before the grading.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Large and expensive gifts are also good........

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Noel
Good Luck, Nick.

Just relax and you'll do fine. Remember too, the wrong technique with conviction beats a deer-in-the-headlights look.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:14 AM   #5
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom
Thanks guys, it seemed to go pretty well, we trained in a different sports hall this time which was lighter and brighter and so didnt seem as intimidating to me, which was nice.

Im glad to say that everyone who went for 5th kyu passed and gave a really good show, likewise everyone who went for 4th kyu.

I was quite lucky in that I graded with one of my dojo mates, Tim (who I had trained with for this grading for the past 2 months), and we alternated between uke and tori.

I remember doing ai hanme katate dori ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, yonkyo, shionage, kotegaeshi, Iriminage and Kaitennage.

For techniques against shomen uchi I remember doing the kokyu nage where you turn and drop to one knee and throw uke into a breakfall(dont know its name), sumiotoshi, iriminage a few times, kaitennage and I think I was asked to do kotegaeshi too but it was all a blur by that point. After some basic bokken suburi we were sat down and Tim, myself and another were told that we had done well with the 5th kyu test and they would like to try us for 4th kyu(gulp).

So after the other people testing for 4th kyu assembled, including two of my sempai, chris and stu (It was really cool to watch them grade, that was a priveledge I didnt expect to have), we did some Gyaku hanme katate dori, I remember doing ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, yonkyo, shionage (which I fluffed up a bit and ended up just grabbing tims wrist and doing ai hanme shionage) and kotegaeshi.

For techniques against yokomen I remember doing shionage, sankyo, sokumen iriminage, ikkyo, sumiotoshi and kaitennage, though by this point everything is definately a blur and I thought I was going to have a heart attack

Techniques against Chudan tsuki I remember doing Tenchinage, kotegaeshi, iriminage, kaitennage, sumiotoshi.

Then it was weapons work, I think I managed bokken suburi 1-7 alright, much thanks to teneur sensei for the last minute advice on friday night which was still clear in my head

I messed up the last jo suburi, number 10, so that needs more work I reckon.

Anyways, both tim and myself gained 4th kyu as well as chris and stu and all the others who tested. Training with Sensei Cottier was great, I just wish I hadnt been so wiped by the grading. Thanks for the comments and support, now I can look forward to getting back to training and focusing on what needs more work, as well as relaxing a little bit (I feel like someone was hitting me with a bat when I was asleep last night! I'll put that down to Tims iriminages and tenchinages, judo habits die hard I guess ). Again thanks to my sensei, my sempai/kohai, my dojo and everyone who helped prepare me for this test

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:34 AM   #6
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Congrats!

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 12-14-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Bravo! Way to go!

If you want to remember what happened more clearly, writing it down the same day it happened helps. On the other hand, you may have better things to do that evening, like throwing a party or soaking in really hot water to keep those bruises tamed....

Mary Kaye
Old 12-15-2003, 03:53 AM   #8
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Congratulations, Nick!

(Mary, I tend to not be able remember what-the-heck happened during tests the minute after they've ended, let alone the same evening or days afterwards. The only way I know what I've done is by checking the syllabus )
Old 12-18-2003, 05:22 PM   #9
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Half the time, my sensei will add things from the syllabus above just to throw us off...seesh!

You did really well, Nick!

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 12-18-2003, 07:38 PM   #10
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom
Hehe, yes I also train with evil sensei who make me do 5th kyu tests for a 6th kyu grade and prepare me with the 3rd kyu syllabus for a 5th kyu test. Evil, evil men, who I owe big time

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.