Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-02-2001, 12:34 PM   #1
Do1
Cool

Dentistry and Aikido

OK, this is going to sound weird...

I'm going to have braces put on my teeth and i was wondering if anyone knew whether I would encounter problems when doing Aikido...I'm not very good at doing break-falls at the best of times and I'm scared I might break the braces or bust a lip...

Anyone help??

Many thanks, Donna xx

"I see", said the blind man to the deaf man xxx(E.McHale)
Old 02-02-2001, 12:53 PM   #2
DiNalt
Hi Donna,

I think if you end up banging your head against the mat during your breakfalls, perhaps it's best to stick to rolls for a while ?

I mean, my breakfalls suck majorly, but the only parts of the body that experience the impact (for better or worse) are lower body and my arm(s).

And senior students never force me to do a breakfall
Old 02-02-2001, 01:59 PM   #3
SeiWhat?!?
Dojo: Long Beach State Univ. Seidokan Aikido Club
I wouldn't worry about busting open a lip. The only way I can see that happening to you is if you land on your face. Just remember to turn your head to the side when doing front falls.

Best advise I've ever received:
"Don't just stand there, do SOMETHING! The fact that you may have failed doesn't matter, it's HOW you failed. Go down swingin'."

Scott Tanaka
Old 02-06-2001, 04:44 PM   #4
Catherine
Dojo: IAA headquarters
I have braces and they don't affect my Aikido. Just don't go to Aikido right after they've been put on or tightened, because it huuuuuuurts. Also, you may feel more comfortable asking people not to do atemi towards your mouth- several times I have gotten split lips because of this.

Hope that helps

Catherine
Old 02-10-2001, 12:07 PM   #5
Do1
Hi,
I just want to say thank you very much to every one who posted a reply and thanks Catherine for your advice - it's given me a bit of reassurance!!

I have also recently gained my first red belt so... I'll keep you all posted on the braces!

Much love,
Donna xxx

"I see", said the blind man to the deaf man xxx(E.McHale)

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com