Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-04-2003, 11:44 AM   #26
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Cognitively I think humans are smarter than other animals, but to me it is also alot of our stupidity.

I wonder sometimes if dolphins look at us and say look at those idiots. In their attempt to be advance and improve their lot, they kill each other, over populate the world, pollute themselves, kill other life forms, and live unhappy lives all in the name of advancement!

Really makes me wonder how smart we really are that we as a species can be so smart, yet so stupid!

I think the worse thing we have done is convince ourselves that we really are smarter than we are!!

Old 11-04-2003, 04:21 PM   #27
Thor's Hammer
About Muscle Memory

Taken from another forum (trials-online): Okay, I hear people using these terms improperely all the time so I figured I'd take the time to clear a few things up.

Muscle Memory Vs. Motor Patterns

Muscle Memory

Often people use this term to describe your body's ability to learn a skill. This is a vastly incorrect statement as muscle memory has nothing to do with skills.

Muscle memory is a term used to describe the body's ability to recover muscle faster than it built it in the first place. That is to say that if you add muscle to your frame, then you lose it, then you attempt to regain it you'll regain the muscle in less time than it took you to gain it the first time. This applies to virtually all physical attributes including muscular size, strength, endurance. Cardiovascular endurance, anaerobic threshold etc. This is why it takes less time to get back in shape than it took you to get into shape.

Motor Patterns

A motor pattern is a specific series of nerve firings that result in a movement pattern. This includes patterns such as walking, running and with enough practice any sport skill. When you first started doing trials you had to think your way through every skill, as you progressed your brain developed a motor schema that allows you to more quickly execute the skill.

In order to pedal kick without a motor schema your brain is required to actively co-ordinate the weight shift, leap, brake release and regrasp, pedal kick etc. You need to actually think about each motion in order to make it happen. As you develop that motor schema you no longer have to think about the steps. Rather you think "pedal kick" and your body activates the motor schema which tells you how to pedal kick.

Think about it like a macro or a small computer program.

Hopefully this has clarified for people what the terms "muscle memory" and "motor pattern" or "motor schema" mean. Hopefully this will also allow everyone to use them properly.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #28
ikkainogakusei
Re: About Muscle Memory

Quote:
Bryan Benson (Thor&#039s Hammer) wrote:
Taken from another forum (trials-online): Okay, I hear people using these terms improperely all the time so I figured I'd take the time to clear a few things up.

<snip>

Hopefully this has clarified for people what the terms "muscle memory" and "motor pattern" or "motor schema" mean. Hopefully this will also allow everyone to use them properly.
Hi Brian,

Out of curiosity; where did the motor pattern/motor schema aspect come into play? I get your illustration that the term "muscle memory" is different from an exercise physiology standpoint rather than a neuromotor standpoint, but I think everyone here has been discussing it from the NMC category.

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-04-2003, 11:02 PM   #29
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Ian Hurst, it seems to me that in conflict, the subconscious mind takes over. In actual situations normal thought processes are short-circuited and actions originate directly from the subconscious.

Hopefully the subconscious will use the training of the conscious mind to resolve the conflict. But that probably depends on the person and their training.

Victor, the Ki Society ran into some problems using the flowing energy imagery, especially in some of it's advanced Ki tests. They changed both the concept and teaching methods.

One of the four basic principles is Extend Ki which was written when they used the idea of flowing energy. Now that basic principle is commented with Ki is already extended. This changes the concept from something you have to do, to something that is. Sort of like the atomic concept going from a planetary model to shell model.

The reason I mentioned this is just to show that sometimes people or organizations run into problems and devise new concepts, new methods or both, to overcome those problems.

Rev. Furuya, I called those concepts "Japanese hocus pocus" to be provocative, but to others it could seem trollish (trying to elicit a strong response). However this thread is not about those concepts, but about this new thing called the reptilian brain. Here it is. What do ya think? Can we do anything with it? Let's kick the tires and take it for a test spin. That kind of stuff.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 11-05-2003, 08:47 AM   #30
ikkainogakusei
Quote:
Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
Ian Hurst, it seems to me that in conflict, the subconscious mind takes over. In actual situations normal thought processes are short-circuited and actions originate directly from the subconscious.

Hopefully the subconscious will use the training of the conscious mind to resolve the conflict. But that probably depends on the person and their training.

<snip>

... about this new thing called the reptilian brain. Here it is. What do ya think? Can we do anything with it? Let's kick the tires and take it for a test spin. That kind of stuff.
Hello Ted

I think one would have to clarify conflict, and response. If we were to have more limbic-brain activity through a fear reaction (amygdala) then how does that manifest? Is it so extreme that our consciousness has no record of the event?

Is it better to supress the fight/flight response or to foster it? Do we attempt to harness the adrenaline, or do we try to remain with the body/mind/consciousness and overcome the aggression connection with adrenaline?

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-05-2003, 11:44 AM   #31
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Jane Tao (ikkainogakusei) wrote:
3] Your muscles do not contain gray matter, there isn't a place to store memory in the muscles

Hi, Jane. Of course not. It is a convenient term that is commonly used.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com