Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2003, 07:42 PM   #51
Lee Swerdloff
Dojo: FL aikikai
Louis, Aikido is not about fighting. It is about purifying the mind and body - misogi.

Yes you do learn to defend yourself. It is a very effective martial art. Is it the best? Who knows. Why do you care? You're not going to fight the Gracie brothers are you?

Will you dervive fitness and flexibility from it, absolutly. And you'll probably stick with it much longer. Aikido is the only fitness activity I know that makes you smile. Alot. You also feel closer to your fellow humans afterwards. I don't know why this is so.

I could never stick with other fitness routines as they are so mind numbingly dull. Aikido is a very deep well. Dive in.

"Aiki is not a technique to fight with or defeat the enemy. It is the way to reconcile the world and make human beings one family."

M.Ueshiba

I have seen everything that has been done here under the sun; it is all futility and a chasing of the wind. Ecclesiastes 1:14
Old 07-15-2003, 08:31 PM   #52
ewodaj
Quote:
Lee Swerdloff wrote:
Louis, Aikido is not about fighting. It is about purifying the mind and body - misogi.

Yes you do learn to defend yourself. It is a very effective martial art. Is it the best? Who knows. Why do you care? You're not going to fight the Gracie brothers are you?

Will you dervive fitness and flexibility from it, absolutly. And you'll probably stick with it much longer. Aikido is the only fitness activity I know that makes you smile. Alot. You also feel closer to your fellow humans afterwards. I don't know why this is so.

I could never stick with other fitness routines as they are so mind numbingly dull. Aikido is a very deep well. Dive in.

"Aiki is not a technique to fight with or defeat the enemy. It is the way to reconcile the world and make human beings one family."

M.Ueshiba
lee, I really dont want to use the word "fighting"...I see it more as self-defense if anything...no martial art is the best because you always have everyone saying the martial art they practice is the best...
Old 07-16-2003, 12:21 AM   #53
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
Dear Jack,

It sounds to me your information has been influenced from a TKD instructor.

Primary focus is on our philosophy, Water, power and circular movement.

There is an equal amount of focus on circular movement/jointlocking and striking. It has to be equal, that is Hapkido, Jack! Ah did ya like that one.

This is not a style for MMA. Other than a hybrid BJJ, or what ever style is being formed be all of the participants in these events. There is no single style that contains all of these elements.

Once again Jack, I'll explain. Hapkido is not the best martial art out there. Jack did you hear this? ;(

It is a martial art that address's the 3 major different areas of fighting. Ala karate Aikido judo. Similar to Japanese JJ

And weapons, Cane, sword, knife, staff, rope, short stick, common objects as weapons, defense against weapons.

Do some research on Dan Inosanto and his first group meeting with the gracies. When you do, you will find out that, Inosanto would pinch Gracie in the jewels ever time he would get mounted or an attempt. It completly changed the way Gracie was approaching his techniques. Hence Gracie did not try to mount him.

Have you ever trainied like this? I have, and it is a humbling experience for all involved. Just wondering, have you ever trained in the martial arts. Some times I'm not sure. You talk like your all of that, but ya get into conversations that ya don't know too much about. And you brow beat me, boo hoo. I actually feel like I'm younger when I'm around you, with all of the down talking. But I have to say, It's nice feeling younger once in a while, Thank you for the brow beating.

Since you have been putting your foot in your mouth soooo often, it has really coloured my impression of you.

Being an Aussie an all, can ya crush a Foster's on your head.

Fair enough?

Now, I'd be quite happy to continue with a discussion of the above (de?) merits of what I wrote above, and how it applies to hapkido, aikido and SD.

-Chad
Old 07-16-2003, 03:12 AM   #54
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Chad Emerson (C. Emerson) wrote:
Dear Jack,

Chad
I love you Chad ;-) You da man!
Old 07-16-2003, 04:01 AM   #55
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Reza Kauzar (sanosuke) wrote:
Oooh, I do feel a tense atmosphere here. Come on guys, stop looking for differences because it'll make you away from each other. Look for similarities so that you can train together and exchange knowledge.
You want we should link hands and sing Kumbaya my lord? ;-) ;-)

Relax Reza, were all just having a little fun here. No malice from anyone as far as I can see. Besides, kinda silly getting up tight over squigly lines on a screen, innit?

Love

Jack

(ps: I've *gotta* change my login to that! Full points to Chad. I'm thinking of referring to him as Mr Troglodyte from now on, on account of him thinkin' I'm brow beating him. Troglodytes had big brows, ya see. Course, that's kinda immature - I suspect all those Foster's cans have crushed my pea brain ;-)

Ok, I'll behave now.

;-P
Old 07-16-2003, 07:47 AM   #56
Cyrijl
Chad,

Sorry it has taken me a couple of days.

BJJ instruction books teach striking. It is not primary, but it is present. What most people are familiar with is the sport aspect of the system. YOu don't need MMA to train in punching in BJJ.

Another reason why i don't think aikido is good for a self-defense system (don't think BJJ is all that great either for this)...is the tendency to use two hands on one of your opponent's hand.

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:05 AM   #57
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
Quote:
Louis Amberg (ewodaj) wrote:
youre totally wrong and you have no clue...just because people give me advice does that mean I have to take it? I respect and accept everyones advice here...
Somehow, telling someone they "have no clue" doesn't seem to fit with respecting them. Also, you say that you don't have to take anyone's advice and then say that you accept everyone's advice. So which is it?
Quote:
I stated before im not trying to impress anyone here about what I know...if you pay attention to what I say (I dont really care if you do), you would have known that dave...
And yet I have been paying attention and reading your posts and they contain you time and time again claiming to know this and that about Aikido when you have never practiced the art.
Quote:
if you have conflict with me or the things that I say on here be a man about it and pm me about it...
I wasn't aware that pm'ing was a sign of masculinity. Have you received many pm's like that?
Quote:
I never asked if aikido was safe, so there you go again making your own assumptions up about me saying I said this I said that...aikido is hard and risky I know that, but do not question me anymore because its getting you no where...
Contrary to your assumption, I wasn't talking at all about physical risk at all, nor was I referencing anything you said. I was talking about the risk of being shown that you really don't know anything, which is what all of us are confronted with when we start to train in Aikido. I have seen many students who were severely limited in their training simply because their attitude didn't allow them to admit that they didn't know something. Folks like that are often very unteachable. I'm sure others on the board who have practiced Aiki for very long have seen the same thing.

You can keep saying all you want that you're not trying to impress us with what you think you know but you keep adding post after post of, "I know this" and "I know that".

As Socrates said, "The beginning of wisdom is realizing that you know nothing." That's also the point at which a person is able to learn. You can never learn untill you are able to become comfortable with the idea of not knowing.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:44 AM   #58
C. Emerson
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya.

Hey you, over there, don't be a bogart, Pass it.

LOL
Old 07-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #59
ewodaj
Quote:
Dave Miller wrote:
Somehow, telling someone they "have no clue" doesn't seem to fit with respecting them. Also, you say that you don't have to take anyone's advice and then say that you accept everyone's advice. So which is it?

And yet I have been paying attention and reading your posts and they contain you time and time again claiming to know this and that about Aikido when you have never practiced the art.

I wasn't aware that pm'ing was a sign of masculinity. Have you received many pm's like that?

Contrary to your assumption, I wasn't talking at all about physical risk at all, nor was I referencing anything you said. I was talking about the risk of being shown that you really don't know anything, which is what all of us are confronted with when we start to train in Aikido. I have seen many students who were severely limited in their training simply because their attitude didn't allow them to admit that they didn't know something. Folks like that are often very unteachable. I'm sure others on the board who have practiced Aiki for very long have seen the same thing.

You can keep saying all you want that you're not trying to impress us with what you think you know but you keep adding post after post of, "I know this" and "I know that".

As Socrates said, "The beginning of wisdom is realizing that you know nothing." That's also the point at which a person is able to learn. You can never learn untill you are able to become comfortable with the idea of not knowing.
tell someone who cares davie boy...
Old 07-16-2003, 01:11 PM   #60
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya. Oh Lord, Kumbaya.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #61
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya.
You know, for some reason, no one ever seems to know the words beyond "Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya". Same deal with Hava Naguila and that russian drinking ditty (sp? ka-ljinka)

Course, with all the Fosters, maybe its just me.

Love

Jack

PS: Hardly anyone drinks Fosters over here. I think they're concentrating on the overseas market. Just as well, their beer tastes horrible.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:14 AM   #62
C. Emerson
Everyone, please a round of applause, two men have settled an issue over a Fosters.

Ya know, I'll bet they would have in a commercial. Get me in a headlock and crush one on my head.

-Chad
Old 07-17-2003, 11:38 AM   #63
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Kumbaya

Hava Nagile

I don't know the Russian ditty.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 07-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #64
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Ya know, I'll bet they would have in a commercial. Get me in a headlock and crush one on my head.

-Chad
Crocodile Dundee has a lot to answer for.

PS: I'd headlock ya, but I'm afraid you might bite (hah! Continuity - Jack 1 : Chad 0)

I'm suprised - I could sworn this thread woulda turned all flamey by now. Must be the beer dulling my wits.

Hurt my brain beer? Naah...
Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #65
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich (bob_stra) wrote:
Crocodile Dundee has a lot to answer for.
Funnily enough, it was Foster's commercials that introduced Paul Hogan to the UK (way before Crocodile Dundee). They've always been pretty funny.

The Foster's feng shui guy is a hoot.

Sean

x

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!