Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #1
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
Aikido vs Aikido

On this board and a few others people have argued about Aikido effectiveness on the street because of the lack of strikes and ground works. Though it seem quite clear that the founder believed if a conflict was allowed to get that far you have already lost the battle. Aikido is an art of energy. If the attacker provides no energy it is very difficult to execute an Aikido technique.
At the end of class tonight the sensei did what I would call Aikido vs. Aikido. Grabbing the gi around the chest area or along the edge with tight grip. However he kept has arm relaxed. It was nearly impossible to break his grip. At least no with a massive amount of muscle. The trick seem to be is that with his arm relaxed he provided no energy. If his arm became stiff at anytime it was easy to step back and whip out a kotogashi, but as long as his arm was relax nothing seem to work.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 05-28-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
mj
You have to create your own tension.

Ignore his hand, grab your own kit just above where he is gripping and with your other hand grab his sleeve or wrist.

A small flick of the hips, with a 'seperating' movement of the hands, will then be more than enough to dislodge a good relaxed grip. Don't lose your balance.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:08 AM   #3
Guest5678
Punch him in the nose hard. He'll let go on his own....

-Mongo
Old 05-28-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
Kensai
Strength through relaxation is the Aikido way. I have had a simpliar experience with my Sensei, when she attacked me 4th form (Chest grab) when I went physical against her, nothing seemed to work.

You have to meet their relaxation with your own and keep superior balance, thats what I have found works so far. :S

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 05-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #5
shihonage
United_States
Or, you could punch her in the nose ...
Old 05-28-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Well, perhaps you could try punching her in the nose but it doesn't seem like a wise choice to me. I'm not sure that the path of escalating violence is very wise when dealing with your Aikido sensei. Who knows, she might be quite good martially.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 05-28-2003, 09:09 PM   #7
jk
Mongo, no! Never kill a customer. Goes for you too, Aleksey. Aikido is LOVE, dammit.

Moving right along: Palm heel to the nose, or a good solid shin kick between the legs. Or grab them by their dogi for a nice round of judo randori. Or pin their grabbing hand to your chest, turn and do armpit nikkyo. Any of the above may work, but my favorite is if you try to kiss them...
Old 05-28-2003, 09:11 PM   #8
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Ryan,

It's difficult to do aikido on someone in an aiki fashion if there is no energy; that is, no attack and no need for self-defense.

I think being a good uke implies helping your partner learn and practice the technique by giving him/her energy to deal with a technique (among other things).

However, in this situation, you can ellicit energy yourself (shodo o seisu, control the first move). Use your one point to extend through your arm and 'reach' for a part on uke's body. The head and groin work well. If uke doesn't stop you then they have a surprise coming, but if they do resist, you now have energy to work with.

There's tons of ways to do this, though, and since you may be [rightfully] reluctant to correct your instructor, you can try tricks like this to ellicit the energy you want... but it takes practice.

Above all else, don't get into a strength game. My sensei always said, "Don't play uke's game". Stay relaxed and be patient with yourself -- smile to yourself and keep trying.

*Phil

Last edited by PhilJ : 05-28-2003 at 09:13 PM.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!