Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2003, 01:48 AM   #26
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Very interesting post (as usual), Abasan.
Quote:
ahmad abas (Abasan) wrote:
Snipes is practising capoera. I didn't know they award dan grades.
They don't. They award cords in much the same way as kyu ranks.

Snipes practicing Capoeira? Wow (I used to practice Capoeira). Do you know how long he's been training? He didn't use any Capoeira in "Blade," IMO.
Quote:
Jet Li is a great martial artist. (actually for a swords movie, i prefer him in swordsman 2)
Jet Li rocks: and "Swordsman 2" is one of my favorite martial arts films. Tsui Hark at his best!

For star martial artist: Jet Li gets my vote.
Quote:
Jacky Chan is a great entertainer.
No argument here. I love watching his out-takes.

I just don't understand why no one came up with a "Zatoichi meets Yojimbo" idea for a movie with Jackie Chan fighting Jet Li.
Quote:
michele yeoh, a co star for jacky chan films (police story 3 if i'm not mistaken.).
Yep. My vote for her, as best female martial artist. She did a movie about an actress in the 20's, who killed herself over society gossip (not a martial arts film). Anyone remember the title?

Also, what about the minor actors in films, excellent martial artists themselves? Chuck Norris was an excellent martial artist, in his prime, and he played stunt roles in some Bruce Li films.

Also, I think about the Catwoman martial artist stunt-double in "Batman 2." Apparently, she was the #2 kickboxing champion (American, or world: I'm not sure). She was good.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:10 AM   #27
Grappler
Jacky Chan. Smart and funny guy and doesnt pretend to be a badass. I am so tired of all the kids who think Bruce Lee or Steven Seagal are the toughest mofos on the planet because they beat up 50 actors in some movie that wasnt even funny...
Old 05-14-2003, 03:41 PM   #28
rpnp
Dojo: N/A
Does Christopher Lambert count? He was good in all the Highlander movies (didnt like 2 that much)

Don "the dragon" Wilson should of stayed to his tournaments.

I cant stand Cynthia Rothrock's movies....

Donnie Yen an okay actor, but he still has a long ways to go. same can be said with Adrian Paul.

Chuck Norris's films would be good if it wasnt only him against a whole army.

Steven Seagal is a good martial artist, but HE CANT ACT!

Angelina Jolie was great in "Original Sin". Awesome scene with her and Antonio Banderas, but not a martial artist.

Bruce Lee redefined MA films he was the best, but not my favorite.

Mark Dacascos was great in "Only the Strong", but that was about the only movie i have seen him in.

Brandon Lee could of been great, except for that tragic accident.

Jackie Chan is an awesome actor/martial artist, but i dont care for some of his recent work. (The Tuxedo) even though Jennifer Love Hewitt looked great.

I would have to go with Jet Li because he's he a great actor/martial artist that comes through most of the time. Besides "Fist of Legend" is one of the all time best MA films.

Robert Parker

"All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts."

- James Allen
Old 05-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #29
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
I can't remember how long he practiced capoeira Nick. I read it in this martial arts journal sometime back, listing all the famous people and the arts they practiced. Some of them were pretty amazing because you least expect them to be martial artists.

Still, Snipes is pretty acrobatic... probably a side effect of capoeira. So why did you quit anyway? It looks like a lot of fun.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:32 AM   #30
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
I recently read that for Jet Li's last movie, Cradle 2 the Grave, fans were able to vote on his website for who they would most like to see him fight.

Mark Dacascos was the favorite by far. Wasn't a fantastic movie, but watching the two of them.... whew!

And he was just incredible in Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Someone mentioned DrunkenMaster 2.. I always wondered why Jackie Chan changed the ending when he re-released it as Legend of Drunken Master. It's still fun to watch my old copy in Cantonese with the Mandarin subtitles (neither of which I speak)!

-Jon
Old 05-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #31
Neil Mick
Quote:
So why did you quit anyway? It looks like a lot of fun.
It is a lot of fun; but it's also very demanding. I did it for about 4 years but couldn't keep a consistent training routine with both Capoeira and Aikido at the same time.

I still jump in and play a roda (game), when I see one.

Quote:
Jon Harris (j0nharris) wrote:
Mark Dacascos was the favorite by far.

And he was just incredible in Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Yeah: Mark Dacascos is great: loved him in "Only the Strong" (probably the only full-blown Capoeira movie).

Last edited by Neil Mick : 05-15-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #32
rpnp
What is "Brotherhood of the Wolf" about?

Robert Parker

"All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts."

- James Allen
Old 05-15-2003, 09:21 PM   #33
paw
Quote:
What is "Brotherhood of the Wolf" about?
Le Pacte Des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) was released in 2001 in France. Re-released in 2002 in the US. The "official" plot is something along the lines of:

In 18th century France, the Chevalier de Fronsac and his native American friend Mani are sent by the King to the Gevaudan province to investigate the killings of hundreds by a mysterious beast.

It's one part mystery/thriller + one part political intrigue + one part martial arts + one part cool special effects. (Dacostas plays the role of Mani.)

I highly recommend it.

Regards,

Paul
Old 05-15-2003, 09:58 PM   #34
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
It's one part mystery/thriller + one part political intrigue + one part martial arts + one part cool special effects. (Dacostas plays the role of Mani.)

I highly recommend it.
Arrggg!!! Here French films are dubbed into - wait for it - Japanese. Both my Japanese and French are at the same level - terrible.

How much mind numbing dialog is there?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-16-2003, 05:09 AM   #35
paw
Peter,
Quote:
Arrggg!!! Here French films are dubbed into - wait for it - Japanese. Both my Japanese and French are at the same level - terrible.

Too much, I'm afraid. Maybe you can find an english subtitled version out there, somewhere. Failing that, you could have someone buy/send you a region 1 copy from the US or Canada.

Mea Culpa,

Paul
Old 05-16-2003, 06:37 AM   #36
rpnp
thanks

Robert Parker

- James Allen
Old 05-16-2003, 08:09 AM   #37
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:

I would think that if you can find it on DVD, you should be able to choose language and subtitling options, no? If so, take the french language with English subtitles. We watched it both ways (kinky, huh?) and it just didn't seem to have the same appeal dubbed in English. I felt the same way about the dubbed version of Iron Monkey, too.

-jon
Old 05-18-2003, 04:47 AM   #38
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Jon Harris (j0nharris) wrote:
I would think that if you can find it on DVD, you should be able to choose language and subtitling options, no? If so, take the french language with English subtitles. We watched it both ways (kinky, huh?) and it just didn't seem to have the same appeal dubbed in English. I felt the same way about the dubbed version of Iron Monkey, too.
I'm going to rent the video anyway but really, based on experience, if it a French or German film DVD will be the original language and Japanese. German I can deal with but French hurts.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-18-2003, 07:05 AM   #39
Abasan
Malaysia
I've got the one with english subs. But not sure if you can use it though. But as all good sidekicks, he has to die in the end. Looks a lot like brandon too doesn't he?

Chinese movies dubbed in english? Urgh. Oh btw, a small trivia. In Iron Monkey, Wong Kei Yit or the visiting kung fu man who was tasked to fight the iron monkey is actually Wong Fei Hong's (From Once upon a time in China) father.

Just watched Matrix reloaded. Heheh... I wonder why no one is voting Keanu Reeves?

And Neil... wouldn't it be fun if instead of having to breakfall from a kotegaishi, you could actually somersault out of it... you know, cause of capoeira!

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:43 PM   #40
paw
Quote:
I've got the one with english subs. But not sure if you can use it though. ....snipped..... Looks a lot like brandon too doesn't he?
Please don't spoil the movie for others who haven't seen it.
Quote:
Just watched Matrix reloaded. Heheh... I wonder why no one is voting Keanu Reeves?
Reeves is an actor who learned specific fight coreography for the movie, not a martial artist.

Regards,

Paul
Old 05-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #41
Neil Mick
Quote:
And Neil... wouldn't it be fun if instead of having to breakfall from a kotegaishi, you could actually somersault out of it... you know, cause of capoeira!
You'd probably end up with a broken wrist if you tried, because you need that hand, to perform the sumersault. Especially as you're being thrown in the direction of the kotegaishi.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's possible.

But, regarding capoeira and Aikido: I tried iriminage several times, in a roda. The results were quite explosive.

Oh, and I rented Yojimbo and Samurai Rebellion, this week, so I'd also have to vote Toshiro Mufune as greatest movie-swordsman.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #42
Abasan
Malaysia
Sorry Paul. Kinda thoughtless of me.

Makes sense about the kotegaishi. I just wanted to dream thats all...

Old 05-20-2003, 11:48 AM   #43
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Snipes is practising capoera.
I'd be surprised if that's all he's studied. He did a punch in one of his movies straight out of Shotokan.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 05-20-2003, 01:08 PM   #44
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu
I love the look on John Wayne's face in the 'Barbarian and the Geisha' when he lands after being tossed by a hiza garuma. But that probably does not count as a MA movie.

The Sundance Channel has been showing the Zaitoichi movies and they are fun to watch

dave stokes
Old 05-23-2003, 09:48 PM   #45
Thor's Hammer
Mifune in Yojimbo... it doesn't get much better than that for swordwork!
Old 05-27-2003, 09:30 AM   #46
Gerjan
Dojo: Yoko-Suma; Yoshinkan Aikido
Smile

Jackie Chan is my personal favorite. I like the humor in his movies, and the cleanness of his fighting style...and I believe Snipes practiced more than Capoeira. I heared that he has a number of 1st kyu's in quite some arts...don't ask me which ones though .

Ki-ai-do: dyslexic Aikido. Also known as "drunken Aikido", this is usually practiced in bars, accompained by much shouting.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #47
ikkainogakusei
Quote:
Gerjan Eilander (Gerjan) wrote:
Jackie Chan is my personal favorite. I like the humor in his movies, and the cleanness of his fighting style.
I've got to agree with Gerjan about Chan, I love his awesome ukemi as well.

The best scene however I think has to go to (odd as it sounds) the John Cusack/ Benney 'the Jet' Urquidez in Grosse Point Blank. I know not the most macho action movie. It didn't pretend to be spectacular, rather it was two guys, out of breath, trying to not be the one who wound up dead. They didn't look like they were following a choreographic script, I liked that.

FWIW

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!