Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #1
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
Cool Count-down to Shodan:

Over the next several weeks I will be training for my Shodan demonstration (test). I wanted to elicit any suggestions that any of you Yudansha might have for me.

It's kinda cool, I'll get my M.S. in biology and my Shodan (high school diploma?) in Aikido the same summer.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #2
Jeff R.
Dojo: River Valley
Re: Count-down to Shodan:

Quote:
Dave Miller wrote:
Over the next several weeks I will be training for my Shodan demonstration (test). I wanted to elicit any suggestions that any of you Yudansha might have for me.
Yeah, smile during every technique; mind your manners; let the universe unfold as it should.

And, of course, "If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong."

Good luck with it, and have fun.

Exercise and extend your Ki with conviction; feel its awesome power--just smile.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:58 AM   #3
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Work your tail off!

I had a year to prepare for shodan and still felt cramped.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-08-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
twilliams423
Dojo: Hacienda LaPuente Aikikai
The best advice I received before my shodan test was : "remember to breathe".

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 05-08-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Dave congrats on being eligible for your shodan. As Tom points out, breathe-most get so nervous they forget to do that and then run out of endurance before the test is over. Another trick to resolve nervousness is to try and disengage your sympathetic nervous system (controls fright/flight). If you have some free style stuff on your test try to do things you know real well-like running through the ikkyo to gokyo techniques systematically-this gives your system time to settle down. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
I've noticed two common problems when people test, both related to the nervousness mentioned in the other replies. First is that it gets hard to hear the name of the technique called when you are nervous. People often pause in an awkward way to clarify which technique, or they do what they think might be the technique but in a hesitant way. I think you should perform whatever technique you think you heard in a confident manner. Even if you are wrong, it still gives a better impression than pausing or acting halfheartedly.

The second problem I see is that many people scare their uke. The uke attacks in a normal matter, and the person testing often cranks the technique really hard due to nervousness. This causes the uke to hold way back on the subsequent attacks. This often causes nage to crank even harder. It then turns into a downward spiral circle that looks really bad.

I have old videos of my tests that I can't even watch because of the above problems. I have seen a LOT of other people have the same problems I did. I hope this helps you.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:58 PM   #7
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
I agree with Tom on the importance of breathing. A good way to make sure you do this and don't get carried away with the emotion of the demonstration is to make sure you take a long deep breath (or two)when you pin your uke. Start doing this in your practice - so it will be more natural to do on the demo.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:36 PM   #8
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Forget systems! Forget top tips! Forget any hints and pointers!

If you can't get through it on what you know then the time is not right to be shodan. Your teacher thinks it is, so "just do it"!

Good luck, and as my late teacher alway told me, have the courage of your convictions! If you are ready, then you have nothing to be worried about!

Osu!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!