Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-02-2003, 08:06 AM   #1
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
whistle while you work?

A funny thing happened in class last night, and I just remembered it. One of our students has a habit of whistling during technique, when he's nage. I'm pretty sure this is just to calm down, but I think that it indicates a lot of things. First of all, it makes it harder to want to attack him. If he's whistling, we're not fighting, he's not worried about the attack or the technique, he's just hanging out. It surely helps him remain calm as well. After a while our instructor just told him to stop, but I didn't mind it. Does anyone that you know do something like this to relax on the mat? Another student of ours kind of makes sound effects. Like "whoosh" and stuff. Pretty funny.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 05-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
W^2
United_States
Freaky! Ditto.

A senior student in my Muay Thai class does this as well - sound effects that is. I've yet to ask him why...

It is interesting to note that Japanese AMA divers whistle before they dive. Researchers thought this was purely a ritual at first, but upon closer examination they found that whistling increases the PSI of gas in the lungs thereby increasing gas exchange. So what they previously thought was an archaic ritual is actually a technique to facilitate breathing more efficiently.

Perhaps those ‘silly' people who do this -- anything that restricts airflow out of the lungs while forcing air out -- are actually conserving energy as well, whether they're conscious of it or not. They may just have the last laugh after all...

~Ward

Last edited by W^2 : 05-02-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
When I am uke, I have a tendency to laugh when a painful lock is put on me or I am in an awkward position. I have found that some nage become overly self-conscious or irritated by this (even though it is completely unintentional). I think it is a defense mechanism my odd brain has created.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 05-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
But laugh should not be unintentional

When Im under circunstances said above I laugh because I mentally separate my body from the part its been pinned and I enjoy the experience from "outside" (btw, I dont enjoy pain).

You laugh because:

You know youre fairly superior to your opponent.

You enjoy the experience, saw or remembered something funny.

You re afraid, insecure or nervous and then comes up the defense mechanism comented by DCP.

A special energy comes to you when you laugh, and this is been well known by all time warriors.

I say laugh is healthy.

Always remember that you can be laughing at practise and still maintain an inflexible spirit (intent) at the same time.

Praetorian
Old 05-02-2003, 09:42 PM   #5
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
i think it was what Tohei Sensei called 'relax'.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #6
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
There was a long discussion of noises, which was often quite amusing, in the thread best noises to make during technique.

I said there that I often sing, although that stopped since then and has now resurfaced. For a while my favorite song was 'Be kind to your uke' sung to the tune of a song called Be Kind to Your Parents that I've heard attributed variously to Pete Seeger and the musical Fanny. I knew it from a Pete Seeger record of children's songs that I grew up with.

This week, with the songs resurfacing, that one hasn't really been there. I'm not sure what I've been singing. I should pay more attention.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 05-04-2003, 06:55 PM   #7
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
I am sorry, I thought this tread was a serious one

That dossh, wusssh thats how how you talk to horses while there untied.

Thanks Opher for the address

Pretoriano
Old 05-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Hey, I thought I WAS being serious!

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 05-05-2003, 02:50 PM   #9
Peter Klein
Dojo: Aikido Kreis Koeln (Germany)
hehe Daniel Pierson i always laugh in that sitation too.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:57 AM   #10
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Yep, gotta admit, to relax and hold a rhythm, I do whistle softly as I work.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:04 AM   #11
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
I tend to make sounds when taking hard ukemi. It sometimes gets some chuckles but it works for me. You gotta breath out when you take ukemi anyway.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:38 AM   #12
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Quote:
Daniel Pierson (DCP) wrote:
When I am uke, I have a tendency to laugh when a painful lock is put on me or I am in an awkward position.
Thank God! I'm not the only one! I was starting to think I had a masochistic streak.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #13
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
I tend to make sounds when taking hard ukemi. It sometimes gets some chuckles but it works for me. You gotta breath out when you take ukemi anyway.
Yeah, same here. I just can't seem to stop it. It's usually an "ugh" when I meet the floor or a "whooooa" as sensei is leading me through the technique. I also make the occasional high pitched "aaAAAaahhh" when I get a good wrist lock applied. Oh well, whatcha gonna do

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com