Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #51
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
when I first started, I left it on. One of the instructors commented that if I break my finger (not an unrealistic possibility in martial arts) that it may have to be cut off. Why risk losing the ring entirely OR doing more damage then would have been done without the ring?

On the other hand (NPI) it probably won't hurt anyone else...so it's your ring and finger to risk!
Old 04-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #52
kendo52
Wink Ring Around the Rosie

I marrried another doka after about 5 years of training. We both agreed that when on the mat, it was "BUDO TIME" and neither of us hold back anything when training with each other. (However, some throws do make for interesting dinner conversation) In short, we train as individials and move down the path at our own speeds, repecting each other along the way. But, the rings come off.

To be frighteningly honest here, I have to tell you the one time i forgot to take it off right before I stepped onto the mat I felt.....dirty. Sometimes when a new student comes and doesn't cover up a ring i feel it makes them dirty. I apologize if this offends someone, but training for me is purification -wearing a beautiful adornment to the body takes away from the true beauty that you're cultivating on the mat - YOUR SPIRIT!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #53
VinceFont
Dojo: Florida Aikikai
Red face

Let's get real people. I have been married for 18 years, have three kids and still love my wife with all my heart...but I take my wedding band off everytime I enter the mat and leave the ring in my car (never in the locker room since you are bound to loose it in time).

First, even a simple wedding band can hurt you and what's worse, your uke. At the very least, they can scratch your partner.

Second, although I respect your love for your fiance and your desire to communicate the feeling to the world by wearing your ring, we are talking about 1-2 hourse of not wearing the silly ring and your fiance will not love you any less for not wearing it for such a short period of time.

Anyway, I know how you feel (I was in your shoes years ago) but keep all jewelry out of the training mat, please.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #54
Mallory Wikoff
You may want to take off your ring if you have a diamond or something sticking out of it. First of all.. if it hits someone on accedent it's going to hurt. Also it has a chance of falling out of the ring... Wouldn't that be a nightmare!

if your enemy hungers, feed him
if he needs cloths, cloth him
in doing this you are piling burning coals on his head.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:10 AM   #55
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Just wondering and maybe stirring the pot a little In the dojo that don't allow rings to be worn, do they allow glasses? Rings with no protrusions are worn in our dojo, as well as glasses. I've seen waaaaaay more injuries because of glasses than rings. I know glasses are needed to see, heck without mine I can't read my own name embroidered on my sleeve. But we could be told to leave them on to see the demonstration and take them off to practice, or get contacts, or those prescription googgle thingys that strap to your head.

Just wondering,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-25-2003, 01:57 AM   #56
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Thumbs down Good point! Good Question!

Quote:
Bronson Diffin (Bronson) wrote:
Just wondering and maybe stirring the pot a little In the dojo that don't allow rings to be worn, do they allow glasses? Rings with no protrusions are worn in our dojo, as well as glasses. I've seen waaaaaay more injuries because of glasses than rings. I know glasses are needed to see, heck without mine I can't read my own name embroidered on my sleeve. But we could be told to leave them on to see the demonstration and take them off to practice, or get contacts, or those prescription googgle thingys that strap to your head.

Just wondering,

Bronson
I leave my glasses on while watching sensei explain a technique, or trying the technique slowly/moderatly. When the training goes full bore during the techniques or randori the glasses, and the gloves, come off.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:43 AM   #57
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I trained with an orthodox jew who kept his skull cap on during training. It would, of course, regularly come off during rolls, but he got very good at catching it in the air with one hand while he was rolling. It was actually pretty impressive.

Anyway, nobody ever got injured by the skull cap, as far as I know.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 04-25-2003, 12:38 PM   #58
Paul Smith
I once trained with someone with horribly bad breath. Not to bad, as long as he maintained hara breathing, and breathed through his navel. When he let loose with chest breathing, though, and expressed through his mouth, tragedy. Ambulances called, utter mayhem.

Paul Smith
Old 04-26-2003, 01:47 AM   #59
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Quote:
Opher Donchin (opherdonchin) wrote:
I trained with an orthodox jew who kept his skull cap on during training. It would, of course, regularly come off during rolls, but he got very good at catching it in the air with one hand while he was rolling. It was actually pretty impressive.

Anyway, nobody ever got injured by the skull cap, as far as I know.
What an unorthodox Orthodox Jew .

I'm sorry I just couldn't restist.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015