Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-16-2003, 02:20 AM   #1
Mark Williams
Free form training

I did my first free form training last night. I've been training for around a year but have learnt a lot of techniques and am working towards my 3rd Kyu. It seems that the most effective techniques aren't the Ikkyos, Nikkyos, Sankyos, etc but the simple things like Irimi Nage, Kotagaeshi and Breath throws. Has anyone else found this? For the sake or arguement (i.e. me playing devils advocate), what is the point of learning all of these fancy techniques if you go back to basics in a free form situation?

Old 04-16-2003, 02:56 AM   #2
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Totally agree, kokyu-nage is your friend in free-form, but the more "complicated" forms have their place in free-form as well. Not only are they fun to try and do if the opportunity presents, but if you muck-up your "simple" move (common problem for me) you're often still in a position to use sankyo etc (like when you're left only holding the hand/arm when you were going for the torso..).

The more options you know, the more likely you are to be able to adapt to a changing situation. Also, I assume you're talking about using the "classical" forms of these moves, try using the neck/shoulders as your lever instead for ikkyo, much more fun. This leaves the aside the benefits the other moves on learning how to manipulate your partner with minimal purchase.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:11 AM   #3
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
IMHO, as you train more/longer you will begin to see the Kokyu-nage even in the complicated throws which become even more easy. They all tend to be illustrations of the same principles of enter and blend, redirect and take balance. Train on.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-16-2003, 08:32 AM   #4
Kensai
Actually I was doing some free form training last night. Firsly I relised that Aikido is not as easy as it looks even after a lowly year of training.

I agree that Kokyu nage does feel the most natural of the throws, although I am also a tenchi nage fan to.

The pins are good, but especially when the attacks are quick,the pins have to be applied with control. Thus you use less momentum that you would normally use to its fullest with a throw.

Just IMHO.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 04-16-2003, 10:15 AM   #5
Kung Fu Liane
Confused

Mark,

maybe basics are easier than advanced techniques when you're under a bit more pressure? ask anyone who does a fighting art and i'll bet they tell you their most commonly used attacks and defences are basic ones...the ones that they've have had more time to work on

Aikido: a martial art which allows you to defeat your enemy without hurting him, unless of course he doesn't know how to breakfall in which case he will shatter every bone in his body when he lands. Also known as Origami with people
Old 04-16-2003, 12:41 PM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
as you train more/longer you will begin to see the Kokyu-nage even in the complicated throws which become even more easy.
For us kokyu nage is kind of a catch all name. Anything that doesn't fit into one of the other categories (sankyo, nikyo, irimi, etc) is probably a kokyu nage. They usually have no locking technique and I don't think nage grabs uke in any of the ones I remember. They are anything that relies solely on timing and balance taking. Interestingly we train with the idea that eventually most techniques will become a kokyu nage

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com