Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #26
DaveForis
Dojo: UW-L Aikido Club
Bronson,

SAC, currently. Was IAA. I'm not a good example of either, however. I'm in Wisconsin, whereas the heads were and are located in Texas. Needless to say, our dojo hasn't exactly been on top of the latest teachings of our federation head, especially with our yudansha not having free time to travel cross-country for seminars, sooo. . . But it's a really good saying.

Linda,

Sorry fer jumpin' ta conclusions. You may be right that responsiveness is where you should start. One other suggestion though. After you think you've gotten a bit more responsive, you can also try working on your posture (which leads to balance). If your body is fully upright, you're in good balance and not as likely to fall ungracefully or for no reason. Maybe when you're off the mat, you could try paying attention to how you walk and where your balance is as you walk, so you can get a better feel for it. Do you feel you have better balance with your back straight and your head up, or slouched? Do you feel more balanced on your tippytoes, or with your knees a little bent and your weight settled into your legs or hips? That kind of thing. That way, when you're being led around on the mat, you can feel your body better and move easier. It takes time, but it's training that can done outside of the dojo. Talk to your sensei about ways to improve your balance too. (shrugs)

Good luck with your training. I hope ya figure it all out.

Behind every flaw in technique is a flaw in the mind or spirit
Old 03-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #27
cindy perkins
Dojo: AikiDog Dojo
This is a little off the thread, but it is about ukemi...

Last night we tried higher forward falls, in which a partner holds your arm and you sort of vault over it. I found that I could breakfall out of that more correctly than my painstaking rolls from one knee! The landing is harder, of course, but I take it with a slap/slam of the arm and side of leg, and I don't get injured. Maybe this is muscle memory from judo years ago...

The weird thing is that it's a sort of scary/joyful thing to do. It's exhiliarating. I notice that I seem to enjoy good falls, and the higher ones are even more fun. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:30 AM   #28
kung fu hamster
Dave,

all good suggestions, thank you! Cindy, do be careful, I have done that paired exercise and depending on who I do them with, sometimes if the support person isn't standing in the proper place you'll crack your forehead on their knee as you go over...ouch...(or maybe it was my bad tai sabaki, I don't know)
Old 03-21-2003, 11:41 AM   #29
DaveForis
Dojo: UW-L Aikido Club
Cindy,

Breakfalls from kneeling??? I can't even picture that. I suppose it may be a beginner exercise. . . But then for me I can't do the beginner exercises for breakfalls. It's either all or nothing.

A little after I first started, I found out just what ya mean. There is something very freeing about throwing yourself through the air and knowing your body will be OK when you get back to the ground. It's like letting go and realizing everything is okay.

Personally, I think another good way of improving ukemi is to do that kind of thing. If you can get comfortable doing flying forward rolls and break falls on your own (after being comfortable with regular rolls, of course!), well what is there that you can't take if someone dishes it out? It's like playing superman, both for the flying and the invincible feeling.

Yeah. Big ukemi is fun.

Behind every flaw in technique is a flaw in the mind or spirit
Old 03-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #30
SmilingNage
United_States
If you really think about it, a high/break fall is nothing more than a forward roll above the mat. Even deeper,forward and back rolls are the same as well. So keep practising forwards, they will lead to the high fall. I think Waite sensei's ukemi video could help.

Good Luck

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #31
cindy perkins
Dojo: AikiDog Dojo
Thanks all! And Linda, last week another student did just that. Ow.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!