Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
Amendes
Preferred training partners

I was wondering.

Do any of you have a specific partner that you usually do most your training with?

I have a specific partner I train with more then other students. Especially if we are in the advanced classes.

In fact in most classes I train with him as much as possible. Of course not in the begginer or intermediate classes, since they are classes we both go to help teach in.

I would say I train 60% of my class time with him. Only beacuse we get switched up in some classes. If I did not get switched I am sure it would be 80% of the time.

I find that training with this partner has been very rewarding. At first I was reluctant to train with him. Now he is my frist choice and we have become very good friends.

Keeping this in mind I am finding training with this partner the majority of the time as a good thing. However I was told before that if you train too often with the same person that it will not benifit you as well as if you train with a different person every day.

I honestly think I have benifted alot more from training this way, however I relly wonder what other people out there think.
And even if they have a prefered partner.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
I train with whoever person is sitting next to me.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:07 AM   #3
ikkainogakusei
Re: Preferred training partners

Quote:
Andrew Mendes (Amendes) wrote:
I was wondering..... I relly wonder what other people out there think.

And even if they have a prefered partner.
I have had a few preferred partners, but I also know that it is better to train with a variety of people so that I can better understand the myriad of possibilities in style, or timing, or physical structure.

Martially, I know that it won't be my training buddy that attacks me in the 'real world' (at least I hope so). It's much like having a preferred side to roll on. I'm a lefty in that regard, but I know that rolling to the left won't always be an option, so I work on the right as well. Spending 60-80% of my time rolling on the left won't help my right side form. nor will it help my right shoulder, getting the form down pays off. The odds are better that I'll be able to respond to a stranger, if I work with many different people.

Relationally, ( I know, touchy-feely hand-holding hoo ha) I feel that there is a greater reward if I train with many, just because having safe 'play' reinforces that which I want to work on in my life.

I have of course suffered subluxations, black-eyes, and other injuries, some purely by accident, some by those who are more interested in being hard-core warriors, than training with some remote care for their uke.

Overall though, I find that training with many is a greater benefit.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:34 AM   #4
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
its said that you should train with 3 types of people:

those that are less experienced than you.

those of the same experience as you.

and those of more experience with you.

there are benefits in training with all these types as well as different body shapes and so on.

i try to train as varied as possible but we are only a small dojo and its not often i get to train with the third type of partner.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 03-11-2003, 05:31 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think it depends on the training. Since aikido is blending, certain techniques are best for certain movements of the uke. What I have found is that people seem to have certain types of reaction. For example there are often people who crouch forward during an attack or tend to keep their head back during an attack (I'm one of the former).

I have found that if you are doing jiyuwaza (freestyle), I am more likely to do kaiten-nage or ikkyo on those that lean forward and irimi-nage on those that lean back.

Saying this, I have found it rewarding training with one partner for extended periods, though I make sure I don't get too used to it!

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 03-11-2003, 05:33 AM   #6
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Well, I dont have any real preferences besides that I dont like to train with major league As$hol$s

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 03-15-2003, 04:40 AM   #7
dezire
Dojo: Aikido Club "Yami Yaburu Hikari"
Hello Andrew.

There are two sides for every situation, but they all have one thing in common. You will get better and advance more quikly if you have a variety of partners.

There are really three kinds of people like Damien said.

If you train with someone who is more expirienced than you you can learn quite a few things and tricks (those little things that make a technique work).

If you train with some begginer, you will see just how much you know, and how good you can explain it, because when you can explain the technique and every little detail of it and excecute it so it works, without strenght, than you know the technique.

When you train with people whose expirience is as yours, than you can experiment together, what works, and what doesn't. For every person has his own technique, and that is what aikido is about.

Also training with different people helps you to train with a lot of different body types, and not become a victim of habbit.

Well, those are my thoughts...

Crnjakovic Zeljko, nikyu
AK "Yami Yaburu Hikari"
Subotica, Yugoslavia

http://www.geocities.com/clubhikari
Old 03-18-2003, 10:18 AM   #8
xaj

No specific partner per say. But i tend to try get a male partner. (no, im not gay).

Just find i feel more comfortable performing the technique on someone i dont need to worry about violating accidently.(i know people expect a certain amount of contact, but what is too much?)
Old 03-18-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
TheU2Fly

Dojo: Aikido Institute of Miami
i guess sometimes we like the manner in which someone trains with us and this might lead us to prefer them...however i try to make an effort to train with as many people as possible to get a better understanding of the technique
Old 03-19-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I try to train with as many different partners as possible each class.

However if I'm a bit 'dull' one day I have a special partner that I seek out. His aikido is allways very hmmm..... energetic and intense, which allways seems to 'shake me up' and make me wake up. Never fails. He's just about as good as two cups of black coffee....

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!