Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #26
Cyrijl
As i see it, aikido should be able to deal with straight or cross body punches. The task is to learn about attacking both ways for yourself. I am ambidextrous in a fighting situation. When sparring i often will switch my stance. So many people train with their attacker only facing one way that when their opponent switches stances, there is nothing they can do. I think this has greater implications for kicks than for punches. But the theory is the same.

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:58 AM   #27
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I would go further. AiKiDo trains principles and ideas in a formal setting, but these principles and ideas can be developed to apply to any number of situations. Usually, this is left as an 'exercise for the student.' I've seen threads were people say the same principles can be applied to ground work. I've run into a number of teachers who talk about how the same principles apply to kicks or a variety of different punches. Some people also explore less physical kinds of confrontation. Wherever your interest lies, though, it is fundamental to (my understanding of) AiKiDo that you are meant to learn how to apply AiKiDo theory in a creative fashion in that situation.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 01-24-2003, 07:36 PM   #28
W^2
United_States
Freaky! Dealing with the traditional 'right' cross...

I'm in complete agreement with Opher Donchin; I see Aikido as being 'algebraic'in application.

Though the specific values of variables in an 'equation' may differ - and thus change the specific solution - the form for solving the equation doesn't. Aikido Kihon Waza train us in the basic 'equations' of physical conflict with the intention of becoming fluent in many 'solutions'.

In terms of Aikido responses to a right cross, a Kaiten Nage works fine. I've pulled this off in my Muay Thai class, just for fun. A standard Muay Thai technique for slipping the cross to the outside, parrying it with your left hand, puts me in position to switch to the throw. The Kaiten Nage is done in the direction ukes feet are pointing, so with the atemi to the face, turn tenkan and throw. Be sure to keep your left hand thumb at 90 degrees when you 'parry', so you can naturally allow ukes right arm to rotate itself into position. Of course the Maai in Muay Thai is much closer than Aikido, so keep that in mind as well.

I hope that helps,

Ward
Old 01-25-2003, 05:44 AM   #29
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
I think every one is over anylising this. John is just a beginner and my response to a begginers question about a menetski is this. It dosn't matter what foot you have forward because you have to close distance when you enter my shpere of power. Momentum is thus produced. As soon as you have advanced and entered my ma-ai with fist cocked you've shown your intent and I have plenty of time to tenkan, grabing your projected fist, placing weigh underside (dropping your wrist toward the floor). Now your way off balance, with no opportunity to throw the other fist at me. Aslight redirection applying ikkyo and boom your on the ground. I can go on from there to pin you in a number of ways. The point is once I have trapped your hand using proper aikia (Blending), no matter how you punch, or what foot you have forward, you will not have the balance to recover. Learn the technics first. Once you understand how to apply the technic, THEN learn how proper ma-ai, Aikia, and sphere of power relate to the defence of a sincere attack.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:04 AM   #30
Kelly Allen
Aside from that, John, Ukemi is an art unto itself and is as important as the throws. Ukemi is as much about the attack as it is the fall. There are some exellent books and vidios out there with respect to Ukemi. Check out the data base on this site. I think you will find some very good exsamples.

Welcome to the world of Aikido! have fun!
Old 01-25-2003, 02:24 PM   #31
Scott Morris
Dojo: Hawk Valley Training Center
Ai symbol

Kelly your comments were right on. Blending and balance are the essential elements to doing any of the techniques well. Perhaps you are suggesting that we all do more ukemi, or at least pay more attention to our ukemi to feel the sutle changes in balance in nage?

Lifelong Beginner
Old 01-25-2003, 05:27 PM   #32
W^2
United_States
Talking Many responses, many points of view

As you can see John, there are as many points of view on this topic as there are valid responses to various attacks, and hopefully that diversity of individuality has given you some perspective. Basically we've all said:

1) Yes, there are specific responses (applications of techniques) to the right cross.

2) Munetsuki attacks are martially valid, and used to train us in direct attacks (linear energy vectors).

The most important advice I would give you is to train sincerely, with an open mind, and come to your own conclusions about what works for you - ultimately the efficacy of Aikido is in the practitioner of it. The principles employed in Aikido can be applied in many ways, and finding those applications is entirely up to you.

Ward
Old 01-26-2003, 01:02 AM   #33
Kelly Allen
Quote:
Scott Morris wrote:
Perhaps you are suggesting that we all do more ukemi, or at least pay more attention to our ukemi to feel the sutle changes in balance in nage?

Lifelong Beginner
Definitely! In a self defence situation you will more than likely use your ukemi long before you use a throwing technic for the simple reason ppl slip and fall more often than they get attacked.

For this discussion I was referring to the attack needing to come from ones Hara (center). just like one would attack in real life. That way the nage has to tune in more to the energy uke is giving him. When nage is tuned in properly both nage and uke get a better feel for the technic. Also when one attacks from ones hara, they are able to control the speed of the attack, slowing it down for the beginners, speeding it up for the more experienced, yet still maintaining the proper mechanics of a sincere attack.

Last edited by Kelly Allen : 01-26-2003 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:52 PM   #34
Detective Dobbs
John,every punch a skilled fighter throws is a power punch.George Foreman knocked out Mike Moore with jabs,jabs,jabs and finally a right.The power from his jabs set everything up.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!