Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-16-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
Insanity
Resisting techniques

IN aikido randori's does the uke(s) resist the tehnique?
Old 02-17-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
mattholmes
I think that's too broad a question. There are many different dojos, many different philosophies, and many different styles. It's like asking, "In the English language, do you use quotation marks?" Sure you do, sometimes. But not always.

Matt
Old 02-17-2003, 01:31 AM   #3
Ta Kung
I agree with Matt. But I have (more often then I'd like) seen randori where Nage runs around "pushing" uke's left and right. The uke takes breakfalls, even before Nage has touched him. It looks very pathetic and "made up".

On the other hand, I've seen randori that looks great. I felt that I needed to point that out.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:16 AM   #4
Insanity
yeah i agree, the question should have been

"IN aikido randori's in your dojo does the uke(s) resist the tehnique?". i just wanted to know. I agree with patrik in this case, "The uke takes breakfalls, even before Nage has touched him", it look s pretty dodgy in some of them demo's, it owuld never work in a real fight.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:37 AM   #5
Sabrie Salleh
Dojo: KDE
I may not be a shodan or qualified aikido guy, but I view it from this point. In the dojo, we practice as uke to be soft and nage soft too. Not soft, but strong and calm.

I've seen before uke playing that style and it happens all the time. They fall, even before you hit them.

What I do in every aikido class, is to soften my hands up, calm my spirit and try and develop my ki which I haven't mastered and discovered it to the fullest potential. I tell my uke to grab me like he is gonna punch me and give provocations which will effect the mind's co-ordination. Well, it works for me when someone grabs my hand that hard, I tend to become quite soft now and the uke hurts his hand instead if I do a shortcut nikyo.

Another point is to understand the technique and test it on various bigger opponent and see what happens. Tell them not to fall or give any chance, if the technique does not work, just punch your face or stomach. When the technique does not work, analysis it and measure the momentum and the co-ordination or the hands and joint needed to execute the technique calmly and swift.

In my opinion if we are soft in the dojo as uke 'everytime', we are not helping the nage after all. We should try the technique from various angles.

Well, just my point of view, out of topic actually

:P

A fool speaks and then thinks. A wise one thinks and then speaks.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Quote:
Vincent JOnes (Insanity) wrote:
"IN aikido randori's in your dojo does the uke(s) resist the tehnique?".
In Shodokan randori (which is really tanto randori) there is full resistance by uke, just short of hitting you to stop the technique. Resistance by body positioning and other movements that negate the technique are used constantly to neutralise tori's techniques and combinations.

There are 3 levels of randori in Shodokan however, ranging from Kakari geiko which has no resistance and straightforward attacks (i.e. no following or stalking as I call it), the next level is hikitate geiko which involves resistance by body positioning only (allows one to develop combination techniques) and the last level is randori geiko which I outlined above. Counters are allowed in randori geiko as well.

Randori tests what is learnt in kata so one can modify movements depending on resistance and other dynamic factors. This way we know whether the movements we have learnt are effective as technique, and what we may need to improve on in future.

Hope this helps.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 02-17-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
aikido_fudoshin
My sensei always tells us that when we are uke we should be giving 99% of ourselves to sh'te when we attack. We should be resisting the other 1% so we can make a safe breakfall. Uke needs to be able to control themselves to a certain extent aswell.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:44 AM   #8
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Quote:
"IN aikido randori's in your dojo does the uke(s) resist the tehnique?"
In my old (seidokan) dojo, "randori" was usually restricted to ryo katadori attacks, ukes generally resisted and gave nage a hard time, the randori was quite short and we rarely practiced it. ryo katadori is a very hard multiple attacker attack, but is also quite safe.

In my current dojo (ASU), we practice randori a lot. We generally restrict ourselves to shomen uchi, or to strikes in general. This makes randori much easier on nage, but scarier. Since we practice it a lot, we learn to grade the amount of resistance to the level of the nage, which, I think, is as it should be.

Yours in Aiki
Opher

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!