Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #26
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Predator Sensei

Even if I get banned...

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
One only look to the news to see how women who come forward with accusations of sexual harassment are publicly vilified; even when the alleged harasser is taped bragging about his exploits.

Ron
So this is how you roll? This is what you say to your students? You play on them the "behave or you'll be ostracised" card?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Sound advice is to get out now.

The other advice about telling what is happening may not be so good. Whistle blowers are not embraced.
If you're leaving anyway, you're already stepping out of the group so who cares if you're not embraced by the group you left? You might get a hug from someone a year later who finds themselves in the exact same situation and recognizes it as a pattern with this jerk. Whispernet people.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #28
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Even if I get banned... So this is how you roll? This is what you say to your students? You play on them the "behave or you'll be ostracised" card?
Oh please... I teach Aikido. I'm not a social worker, lawyer or therapist so I don't give advice along those lines. And I don't play any cards on my students. It's not part of my job description to tell them how to behave. They're all adults capable of making their own decisions. Personally I think the OP should leave the dojo but since, at least to my knowledge, she hasn't then her first duty is to take care of herself while she still trains there.

Ron

Old 12-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #29
Mary Eastland

Quote:
At the moment?

Maybe after that predator actually victimize someone would be a good moment? After the third victim? The fourth?

Please do tell us what is the number of victims needed to take action.
Why is it the victim responsible for rectifying the situation?
In a dynamic such as this...getting out can be really hard and then piling on telling makes it too much.

Baby steps can be taken and are important.

Last edited by Mary Eastland : 12-05-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: wrong word

Old 12-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #30
Mary Eastland

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
If you're leaving anyway, you're already stepping out of the group so who cares if you're not embraced by the group you left? You might get a hug from someone a year later who finds themselves in the exact same situation and recognizes it as a pattern with this jerk. Whispernet people.
Or you might not. Do you have any experiences to share that turned out well?

I have told a couple of times in my life and ended up feeling not welcome in other circles besides the ones I have left.

I might support another woman privately but I would be hard pressed to tell about a situation like this publicly again.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #31
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Or you might not. Do you have any experiences to share that turned out well?

I have told a couple of times in my life and ended up feeling not welcome in other circles besides the ones I have left.

I might support another woman privately but I would be hard pressed to tell about a situation like this publicly again.
Yes, I've been the one to say, "I believe you and this will never happen again." Yes we did something about it. No one blamed the person coming forward and we're still friends.

Sometimes these things don't end well, it was really hard to be one of the first people posting about Clint George for example when he was accused of grooming a minor who was a student of his, but I did it.

It's my strong opinion that people who abuse their power do so regularly, it's never a one off event.

Finally, in case it's not absolutely clear, I really feel for the OP and hope she's able to take some of this advice as supportive. This must really suck to have to go through.

Chris Moses
Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #32
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Perhaps you've never had any experience being a whistle blower. If she (the original poster) publicizes the sensei's behavior most likely she will be ostracized by the rest of the dojo. Without concrete proof of predatory behavior by her sensei, it's her word against his and that rarely ends well for the accuser.
Her problem is not the risk of being ostracized by the rest of the dojo. Her problem is remaining in the dojo, having anything to do with the dojo, for another second.

Your advice about whistleblowers is no doubt useful in the general sense, but in this context it's frankly ludicrous and unhelpful. If she has a grain of sanity, she is DONE with that dojo. If you read my earlier post, I said that IF her association has a sexual harassment/misconduct policy (and if they do, it should have a reporting procedure that bypasses the perpetrator, obviously), she should consider using it. What exactly do you take issue with?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #33
ninjedi

United_States

Quote:
Perhaps you've never had any experience being a whistle blower. If she (the original poster) publicizes the sensei's behavior most likely she will be ostracized by the rest of the dojo. Without concrete proof of predatory behavior by her sensei, it's her word against his and that rarely ends well for the accuser.

One only look to the news to see how women who come forward with accusations of sexual harassment are publicly vilified; even when the alleged harasser is taped bragging about his exploits.

Ron
You've just summarized the biggest problem lighting up headlines in America these days. It's why so many women are speaking up now, about incidents that happened 10+ years ago.
#beliveher

Quote:
Oh please... I teach Aikido. I'm not a social worker, lawyer or therapist so I don't give advice along those lines. And I don't play any cards on my students. It's not part of my job description to tell them how to behave. They're all adults capable of making their own decisions. Personally I think the OP should leave the dojo but since, at least to my knowledge, she hasn't then her first duty is to take care of herself while she still trains there.

Ron
I hesitate to call this outright terrible advice, because this guy is running his own dojo/business and people have a choice if they want to be there or not, but the whole "if you don't like it then leave" thing is played out and smacks of misogyny.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #34
Mary Eastland

[quote=

I hesitate to call this outright terrible advice, because this guy is running his own dojo/business and people have a choice if they want to be there or not, but the whole "if you don't like it then leave" thing is played out and smacks of misogyny.[/QUOTE]

That is a funny one. Or could it be because he lives in the real with a real women who has spoken up several times. A real women who has been ostracized by other women co-workers and by the offender who she still gets to work with.

And then there is the time when that real woman in the real world spoke up at another job and the atmosphere became so intolerable she had to quit a job that she had been at for 10 years and really loved.

Maybe the OP just wants the abuse to stop and maybe she loves her dojo. Maybe asking for help involves hearing a lot of different ideas. Maybe...

Old 12-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #35
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Oh please... I teach Aikido.
I do not agree with that statement.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #36
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Why is it the victim responsible for rectifying the situation?
The victim has the same moral responsablilities than any other person.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #37
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
I do not agree with that statement.
Your post completely irrelevant, and as with most of your Aikido posts, contributes nothing to the thread.

Ron

Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #38
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Your post completely irrelevant, and as with most of your Aikido posts, contributes nothing to the thread.

Ron
Also, I do not agree with those statements.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #39
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
Life's too short to fence with someone just interested in trolling an Aikido board. To the block list with you.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #40
Mary Eastland

Quote:
The victim has the same moral responsibilities than any other person.
I disagree. You don't get to declare what her responsibilities are. Each circumstance is different and while we must do out best...sometimes a person's best might not measure up to what you describe and it is still good enough.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #41
Mary Eastland

Quote:
Can you describe how saying Ron does not teach aikido contribute to this thread?
And having never trained with him how can you come to the conclusion?

Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #42
ChrisMoses
United_States

Out of respect for the OP, can we just drop this? Advice was asked for and given. Feels like this has run its course.

Chris Moses
Old 12-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #43
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Out of respect for the OP, can we just drop this? Advice was asked for and given. Feels like this has run its course.
Or take it to another thread. It isn't helping OP.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #44
Mary Eastland

It actually does relate to the thread...someone writes something that is against the forum rules,
( i.e. a personal attack...) and when someone defends themselves it makes other people uncomfortable and the uncomfortable ones make it seem like the whole situation is bad, not just the attacker.

It really reflects what happens in the real world

So to the OP: I repeat. Take care of yourself in a way that works for you. And don't expect anyone else to come running to your aid because they won't. You have be prepared for some really uncomfortable feelings.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #45
Dan Rubin
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

For some reason almost eight weeks passed before anyone responded to the OP's post, and now ten weeks have passed with no further input from the OP. In her post she stated that her teacher "hits all the points" that describe a predator. I suspect that she had already made her decision, which was to succumb to her teacher's advances, and was looking for someone -- anyone -- to tell her that that would be OK. No one has. By now she has followed through on her decision. I feel sorry for her.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #46
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
For some reason almost eight weeks passed before anyone responded to the OP's post, and now ten weeks have passed with no further input from the OP. In her post she stated that her teacher "hits all the points" that describe a predator. I suspect that she had already made her decision, which was to succumb to her teacher's advances, and was looking for someone -- anyone -- to tell her that that would be OK. No one has. By now she has followed through on her decision. I feel sorry for her.
I totally agree, but would feel sorry for her husband.

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
yes, a part of me wants him very much, even if it would just be sex,

Motto tsuyoku
Old 12-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #47
"pred op"
IP Hash: 83a3ff01
Anonymous User

OP here.

The guest user comment submission takes entirely too long to be approved, hence the huge delay between my original post and replies and, well, now (assuming this will take some weeks to appear). But yes, by the time this was posted everything had run it's course. I've asked the original post to be removed due to too many identifying factors but as of yet it hasn't been.

For those wondering... I realized this situation as ultimately being a symptom of problems within my marriage and the inevitable course this was taking, separated with my husband, slept with my sensei (yes, in that order) and now I'm in the process of leaving the dojo. Maybe not the moral victory in the end everyone here was hoping for, but nonetheless what happened.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #48
Dan Rubin
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

You are aware of what happened, how it happened, and why it happened. That's an encouraging sign for the future.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #49
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Maybe not the moral victory in the end everyone here was hoping for, but nonetheless what happened.
You're not accountable to us, though. I hope things go well for you.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!