Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #251
Alec Corper
 
Alec Corper's Avatar
Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Location: Wapenveld
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 348
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Budd,
I guess that depends on who you train with ;-)

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #252
Cass
 
Cass's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Academy
Location: Athens
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Greece
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

There is much discussion and conflict of opinions here that I must admit I have skipped ahead of as it is largely over my head at this point. Simply I will share my beginner opinion on the topic - for what it's worth.

When I first entered my dojo I was full of questions, I literally had a sheet of paper with what must have been 20 questions with which I interrogated my sensei. Many of these I had come up with from browsing here and other online resources regarding Aikido. One of the constant mentions that I had come across was thus, aiki or ki, both as a mindset and as a teaching. My sensei was bemused but humoured me my questions but when I arrived at "how much focus do you place on ki?" he was quite brief. He doesn't know what it is (even after 17 years training) and doesn't teach it. The more I experience Aikido the more I agree with this approach. Just the meaning of ki is very largely conflicted and nobody can really agree on a strict definition, there are biomechanical aspects that some try to teach (i.e. the unbendable arm) but there is also a strong emphasis on the mentality of it.

By now I have trained with a few hundred different aikidoka, from 4 seminars, visitors as well as the large membership of my dojo. I have admired many practitioners but so far I have not come across anything that I would deem mystical in the ilk that ki is held. They can all be defined. Some people train fast, some slow, some people I have felt a great connection with where we synchronized beautifully (flow) and others did not match well. Some people are graceful, some people possess great strength and power. Some people are good, warm, kind, peaceful and "aiki" and others resemble none of those traits. Many people vary on these scales as well depending on the particular day, perhaps if their mood is poor or good, distracted or not. Everyone that I have trained with has had tangible traits, I could see and feel what it was that I "liked" or "didn't like" about their aikido, typically it was a mix of the aforementioned. I believe that regarding aiki, it is as much a question such as "learning patience" from Aikido, sure, it can help, but at the end of the day if you are an impatient person just doing Aikido will not fix that. Striving to improve to fit that ideal I find admirable, but changing oneself on a mental level (particularly if it is extreme) cannot come from the physical alone, no matter how many ikkyo or ki exercises you do.

So in general, I think it can be quite a frustrating topic to discuss aiki, it is at best elusive and hard to prove effective. I mostly consider it as something like faith, if it improves people for the better I am all for it. Very few people claim to "possess" aiki and I have never had the experience to train with someone who does so. It's a little like trying to grab smoke, everyone has a perspective on what they think it is like or how much importance it has, but it is not tangible enough to be properly defined and outlined.



Aikido Discord Live Chat: https://discord.gg/Vxdcmz6
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #253
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,212
Spain
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Cassia Rose Heatley wrote: View Post
It's a little like trying to grab smoke, everyone has a perspective on what they think it is like or how much importance it has, but it is not tangible enough to be properly defined and outlined.
Maybe aiki itself is not tangible enough but the effects of having aiki should be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #254
Alec Corper
 
Alec Corper's Avatar
Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Location: Wapenveld
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 348
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Cass,
Aiki is not mystical, it is a way of training the body which makes more use of unified opposing forces. There are training methodologies which stress how to develop tissue and fascia connection to develop whole body strength. "One part moves, all parts move.". There are methods for developing coiling or spiral power by learning to rotate the joints and tissue from the central axis of tanden ( dantien in Chinese) There are methods for developing an enhanced "pump" action in hands and feet.
And so on.
Some of these methods are related to aspects of yoga and supposedly entered China via India with the monk Ta Mo. Many of these exercises were originally intended to strengthen the body for prolonged periods of meditation but quite quickly were seen to be effective in other areas, especially for monks who needed to protect themselves.
People who are practicing this way are generally not mystical but quite practical and looking for demonstrable changes in receiving and projecting power. What is interesting in this is that much of O Sensei's writings and lessons can be read as technical explanations clothed in the language of Eastern symbolism, much of it revolving around In and Yo, the Japanese version of yin and yang and how to unify these forces in oneself.
One interpretation of this, also known as Heaven, Earth, Man, is learning to stand in an immovable posture so that when moving there is an internal stability that makes it harder for an opponent to throw but also increase the power of throws.
I doubt that most of this can be successfully understood without feeling it. If you are ever in The Netherlands you are welcome to visit and get a sense of other ways of training.

Good luck with your training,
Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #255
GovernorSilver
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 108
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Cassia Rose Heatley wrote: View Post
So in general, I think it can be quite a frustrating topic to discuss aiki, it is at best elusive and hard to prove effective. I mostly consider it as something like faith, if it improves people for the better I am all for it. Very few people claim to "possess" aiki and I have never had the experience to train with someone who does so. It's a little like trying to grab smoke, everyone has a perspective on what they think it is like or how much importance it has, but it is not tangible enough to be properly defined and outlined.
As you can see, there's no universal agreement in the Aikido world at large as to what "aiki" actually is. However, the "aiki" talked about by Cady, Budd, etc. is a fairly specific thing.

This is one of those things that fall under "IHTBF" - It Has To Be Felt. It is quite tangible, but can be best understood by physical contact. Trying to understand by reading about it or watching videos that purportedly display it - without the prior physical contact experience - doesn't seem to work for most people.

Budd can show you how it feels, and also teach you how to do it in short order. There are a few others out there who can as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #256
Cass
 
Cass's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Academy
Location: Athens
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Greece
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Ahh so, if we are talking purely of the physical and more definitive aiki as mentioned. What are the tangible effects of having it versus not? How can you feel this in someones aikido? Alec, you mention it is for developing whole body strength, but when we train are not the techniques related to redirection of force? Ultimately with good technique strength should not be a factor, so how does it benefit the aikidoka to have this talent refined? I have heard also that some people naturally "possess" this ability (or not) more than others, so is it not quite difficult to teach? Strength, stability, redirection, all seemed as learned and honed abilities that I can't see much definitive connotation with necessarily coming from aiki teachings if they can be acquired without.

Also a generous offer, if I am ever in the neighbourhood I may take you up on that .



Aikido Discord Live Chat: https://discord.gg/Vxdcmz6
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #257
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,212
Spain
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Cassia Rose Heatley wrote: View Post
Ahh so, if we are talking purely of the physical and more definitive aiki as mentioned. What are the tangible effects of having it versus not?
If you have it you can effortlessly slam Teddy Riner at will.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #258
Budd
 
Budd's Avatar
Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
Location: Williamsville, NY
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 995
United_States
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote: View Post
Budd,
I guess that depends on who you train with ;-)
With whom and how, no doubt, Alec, based on many a historical precedent

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #259
Budd
 
Budd's Avatar
Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
Location: Williamsville, NY
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 995
United_States
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Cassia Rose Heatley wrote: View Post
There is much discussion and conflict of opinions here that I must admit I have skipped ahead of as it is largely over my head at this point. Simply I will share my beginner opinion on the topic - for what it's worth.

When I first entered my dojo I was full of questions, I literally had a sheet of paper with what must have been 20 questions with which I interrogated my sensei. Many of these I had come up with from browsing here and other online resources regarding Aikido. One of the constant mentions that I had come across was thus, aiki or ki, both as a mindset and as a teaching. My sensei was bemused but humoured me my questions but when I arrived at "how much focus do you place on ki?" he was quite brief. He doesn't know what it is (even after 17 years training) and doesn't teach it. The more I experience Aikido the more I agree with this approach. Just the meaning of ki is very largely conflicted and nobody can really agree on a strict definition, there are biomechanical aspects that some try to teach (i.e. the unbendable arm) but there is also a strong emphasis on the mentality of it.

By now I have trained with a few hundred different aikidoka, from 4 seminars, visitors as well as the large membership of my dojo. I have admired many practitioners but so far I have not come across anything that I would deem mystical in the ilk that ki is held. They can all be defined. Some people train fast, some slow, some people I have felt a great connection with where we synchronized beautifully (flow) and others did not match well. Some people are graceful, some people possess great strength and power. Some people are good, warm, kind, peaceful and "aiki" and others resemble none of those traits. Many people vary on these scales as well depending on the particular day, perhaps if their mood is poor or good, distracted or not. Everyone that I have trained with has had tangible traits, I could see and feel what it was that I "liked" or "didn't like" about their aikido, typically it was a mix of the aforementioned. I believe that regarding aiki, it is as much a question such as "learning patience" from Aikido, sure, it can help, but at the end of the day if you are an impatient person just doing Aikido will not fix that. Striving to improve to fit that ideal I find admirable, but changing oneself on a mental level (particularly if it is extreme) cannot come from the physical alone, no matter how many ikkyo or ki exercises you do.

So in general, I think it can be quite a frustrating topic to discuss aiki, it is at best elusive and hard to prove effective. I mostly consider it as something like faith, if it improves people for the better I am all for it. Very few people claim to "possess" aiki and I have never had the experience to train with someone who does so. It's a little like trying to grab smoke, everyone has a perspective on what they think it is like or how much importance it has, but it is not tangible enough to be properly defined and outlined.
Cassia, the whole point some of us are getting at is that "aiki" (and many other Asian terms that seem spiritual or cosmic), have their roots in very measurable physical phenomena - many of us are actively researching it and can clearly demonstrate what it means in repeatable and physical terms.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #260
Budd
 
Budd's Avatar
Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
Location: Williamsville, NY
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 995
United_States
Offline
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Cassia Rose Heatley wrote: View Post
Ahh so, if we are talking purely of the physical and more definitive aiki as mentioned. What are the tangible effects of having it versus not? How can you feel this in someones aikido? Alec, you mention it is for developing whole body strength, but when we train are not the techniques related to redirection of force? Ultimately with good technique strength should not be a factor, so how does it benefit the aikidoka to have this talent refined? I have heard also that some people naturally "possess" this ability (or not) more than others, so is it not quite difficult to teach? Strength, stability, redirection, all seemed as learned and honed abilities that I can't see much definitive connotation with necessarily coming from aiki teachings if they can be acquired without.

Also a generous offer, if I am ever in the neighbourhood I may take you up on that .
Cassia, the other thread I just started on Connection to the Ground, Rooting, etc addresses some of this - mainly in that the development of whole-body strength in an internal/Ki sense creates more capability to exhibit "aiki" as in "harmonizing with energy".

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yukiyoshi Sagawa's Aiki, a true portrait of Transparent Power - Interview with Tatsuo Kimura Part 2 Chris Li Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 18 09-05-2015 11:48 AM
Shiro Omiya Shihan on "Aiki" ChrisHein Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 60 01-06-2013 11:29 AM
Aiki Ken and Ken justu Tsunemori Techniques 62 11-29-2011 07:39 AM
Ueshiba's Aiki Chris Knight General 624 11-20-2011 07:35 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18 Peter Goldsbury Columns 187 09-08-2011 02:41 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2017 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2017 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate